Author Topic: ZoneAlarm  (Read 10790 times)

poonet

ZoneAlarm
« on: May 24, 2005, 06:57:46 PM »
Hi again ;)

I Install newest version of Avast avast4 x home and I´m also using Zone alarm´s newest version. When Installing was process I show notice that there´s some problem with ZA and Avast! and Avast asked me if I want set some modules offline from ZA until the problem is solve with ZA so I click YES :) Did I right. Is there  something else what I would do ?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: ZoneAlarm
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 07:45:05 PM »
See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13738.0
Then get the small but sweet programme AEC and put Webshield to full power.... Works a treat..

MFB

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 12:43:08 AM »
Zone Alarm better solve thier issue soon.   ::) 

poonet

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 12:08:28 PM »
See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13738.0
Then get the small but sweet programme AEC and put Webshield to full power.... Works a treat..

I´m using Mozilla Firefox browser and there´s no problem yet. There´s no problem with Yahoo Mail also. So maybe I don´t do nothing ?

MFB

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 01:00:24 AM »
This problem as be occurs for how long already?  Sadly Zone Lab are barely alive to solve this issue, people love their firewall, but they seem to work to solve issues like a slug.  If your not having problems, then you should be okay, If you are using ZoneAlarm Pro, disable Cookie and Privacy controls cause you only need the firewall and that's it.  For now if you are not receiving any problems, you are fine for now, if any problem rise, you may use the forum for solving the issue.

poonet

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 05:05:47 PM »
Ok :) I´m using ZA  FREE version none Pro.

theotherone

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 04:30:46 AM »
I have a similar problem to poonet.  When installing avast 4.6 - a prompt said: "Avast has detected that you are using ZA.  There is currently a problem that we're trying to work out with Zone Labs - but in the meantime we suggest you click yes to {do something?} with Webshield.  I selected "yes" and now I can only check mail - if ZA is running also.  Why can't I check mail WITHOUT ZA running??  What did I do to webshield when I clicked "yes" on the install?? 

I also have a router as a firewall... so I don't necessarily need ZA.  So, the main question is:  If I want to STOP USING ZA... How do I reconfigure things so that Avast works with Outlook Express ??

Should I just uninstall both programs and then reinstall Avast? or is there something easier to do?

MFB

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 04:51:25 AM »
If your using Zone Alarm Free edition, just press no and ignore it, no worries.  If you are using the Pro. Edition, just disable the privacy and cookie controls.  You way want to set up a proxy for your webshield:

http://www.avast.com/eng/i_use_win98/me_and_web_shield_do2.html

poonet

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 12:22:53 PM »
If your using Zone Alarm Free edition, just press no and ignore it, no worries.  If you are using the Pro. Edition, just disable the privacy and cookie controls.  You way want to set up a proxy for your webshield:

Yes I´m using FREE version of ZA and I clicked YES when installing was process :(
Shit ! I didn´t know that before and now it´s too late :(

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 11:19:56 PM »
Poonet get RejZor's AEC from here then when you run it select tweaks and set webshield to full power    http://www.excessive-software.eu.tt/

MFB

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005, 05:28:35 AM »

Yes I´m using FREE version of ZA and I clicked YES when installing was process :(

Don't worry, as long as Webshield is enable on your computer and scanning webpages, you're fine.   ;)
Zone Alarm should still be protecting your computer of course. 

poonet

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005, 10:58:16 AM »
Don't worry, as long as Webshield is enable on your computer and scanning webpages, you're fine.   ;)

Thanks ! :) Everything seems to be okay with webshield and there´s no errors in webpageses like Yahoo Mail and Yahoo etc. I really wish that I understood right webshields meaning :) 

Btw, Mozilla Firefox says that: There´s no proxy settings to localhost, 127.0.0.1 and now I wonder what that means ?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 11:25:59 AM by poonet »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 01:38:44 PM »
Btw, Mozilla Firefox says that: There´s no proxy settings to localhost, 127.0.0.1 and now I wonder what that means ?
As far I can understand, localhost is the same as the IP 127.0.0.1 and both refers to your own computer.
You don't need a proxy to access your own files on your disks... Seems ok, don't you think?  8)
The best things in life are free.

poonet

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2005, 04:04:08 PM »
As far I can understand, localhost is the same as the IP 127.0.0.1 and both refers to your own computer.
You don't need a proxy to access your own files on your disks... Seems ok, don't you think?  8)

Yes as far as I know I´m safe :)

leomalav

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2005, 01:03:23 AM »

Hi there!

I did the same thing... I'm using the free Zone Alarm and I also clicked YES on the warning...  :-[

The funny thing is: the WebShield transparent scanning seems to be active (it's being executed and the redirecting port even shows "80", according to its configuration menu) but the number of scanned files is still 0 after a few hours of internet browsing...

How can I be sure that it's working (or that it's disabled, for that matter)?

If it is disabled, is there a way I can turn it on again?

Thanks in advance

Leonardo