Author Topic: missing taskbar icon in 9.0.2006  (Read 21914 times)

drummerman

missing taskbar icon in 9.0.2006
« on: October 21, 2013, 09:54:30 AM »
This is an intermittent occurance; The AVAST icon doesn't always load.

The program seems to work in the background (according to system explorer) but I can't access its functions, not even through the AVAST desktop icon. Windows 7/64.

Other than that, this version loads much faster than the previous one. I can access IE almost immediately when loading windows whereas before it took a good two minutes.

I am almost reluctant to remove/re-install as I don't want to risk these long loading times retuning again.

I like the interface and have no problems otherwise at the moment. Thanks

regards

PS. this was a clean install having removed the older version first.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 10:01:47 AM by drummerman »

Offline TwinHeadedEagle

• Malware Removal Expert
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Zemana
Re: missing taskbar icon in 9.0.2006
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 10:04:07 AM »
Did you tried to restart Windows? Check if Avast is present in msconfig --> Startup
My help is free, however if you'd like to show your appreciation by leaving a donation, it will be much appreciated ------> DONATE

drummerman

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 10:08:31 AM »
Yes, like I said, its an intermittent problem. Sometimes it loads (the icon), sometimes it doesn't. Re-starting can solve the issue, sometimes a couple of re-starts are necessary.

regards

Offline TwinHeadedEagle

• Malware Removal Expert
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Zemana
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 10:17:25 AM »
In such cases is hard to determine what is causing the problem, I think the best choice is to completely reinstall Avast.
My help is free, however if you'd like to show your appreciation by leaving a donation, it will be much appreciated ------> DONATE

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 10:20:00 AM »
Try a repair first.
Control panel > software > avast > add/remove > choose repair

drummerman

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 10:30:11 AM »
Thanks. Done that to no avail.

Looks like a re-install is inevitable.

regards

Foxfan100

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 01:29:48 PM »
@drummerman,

I await your results with interest, per my problem here http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=136785.new;topicseen#new.

Do you plan to reinstall over the top of the existing software, or go for a clean install?

Regards,

Offline mausebär

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 02:43:12 PM »
I also have a similar or identical issue.

Have Vista32bit SP2.
After update to V. 2014 the avast-ball didn't rotate anymore...

After restart of OS there was no ball at all, I also couldn't access the Avast GUI...
Clicking on the link to avastui.exe the was no reaktion.
Maybe it worked in the background, but without ball and without possibility to acces Avast...

So I did a system-recovery to the condition before updating avast to 9.0.2006.
Now it works thanks to god, but with version 8.0.1500...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 02:46:22 PM by mausebär »

Foxfan100

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 01:19:18 PM »
Right. My animated icon has reappeared in the System Tray.

Firstly, I did an Avast "repair install" via Win Control Panel.

Then I had a look at the Settings - Troubleshooting and compared them with my operational iconised laptop.
Starting from the top (Enable Rootkit) as Item 1), and ending with "Enable Hardware-assisted virtualisation" as 8, my settings are now:-
1. On (i.e. checked)
2. On
3. Off
4. On
5. Off
6. On
7. On
8. On

Previously, I had 5) "Load Avast services after.." etc. checked because of a previous problem (now sorted via .ini file). Item 6) "Do not use Chrome..."etc. was previously unchecked, so I have checked it.

I can see that delayed starting Avast services might not help, but not Chrome. As it's working, I don't propose to experiment further to see if I can narrow anything down; at least not for the moment.

I really don't like it when things fail or work and I don't know why!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 01:21:05 PM by Foxfan100 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 01:27:03 PM »
I suspect it is a conflict with other things (drivers, services, applications) that are starting at boot-time.
Perhaps StartUp Delayer can help with the trouble shooting.

drummerman

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 01:53:50 PM »
Most likely, as always.

I've repeated a clean install and after one boot-up all is well as far as I can tell at the moment. Repeated booting will tell whether it made a difference.

I'll update in a few days.

regards

webbrewers

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 03:47:43 PM »
I haven't updated from 8 and the avast icon is missing too. No access to ui except from control panel - I'm trying a repair but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. How long should it take?
Probably unrelated but the avast IE8 add on(s) was also preventing IE8 from opening. Had to disable to get it to open and am awaiting a response to a ticket for that. 

Offline DavidGB

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 04:09:59 PM »
I've had this problem three times in the last few days after restarts: no avast! taskbar icon, although Task Manager shows avastui.exe running; the avast! entry in the taskbar customize having no icon either; double-clicking the avast! shortcut having no effect; no notifications from avast! (although after eventually recovering the avast! taskbar icon after a restart the next day, its log showed it had carried out a scheduled quick scan while 'invisible'); no way to access avast! or see what it's doing.

The first two times, avast! reappeared after a single restart. The one today, two restarts did nothing, but it reappeared after a repair and yet another restart. Unfortunately the apparently random nature of the problem means I have no idea whether the repair actually made any difference. I've now changed the Settings - Troubleshooting settings to those given by Foxfan100 above.

I'm completely inexperienced with Avast! - I only changed over to it a couple of weeks ago after many, many years using AVG. I must say I'm finding this problem very disconcerting, and would very much like to know that someone knows what's going on and what a definitive solution is.

(Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit)

Sly_Toad

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 06:53:14 PM »
Maybe I can help with this. I had this problem last week. It was intermittent also.

After a few restarts with no taskbar icon, I used a few cleaning tools like ccleaner and glary utilities and a few others. In Ccleaner, i've checked the Taskbar Icons and cleaned the registry also. And for last I used Auslogics Disk Defrag Free, and choosed to Defrag and Optimize. After that, I rebooted the pc.

Now the icon appears since then. Don't know what program made it appear, problaby Ccleaner and Auslogics Disk Defrag.

Give it a try. And sorry about my English  ;D

webbrewers

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 08:19:00 PM »
In my case, the repair got "stuck" and I couldn't escape the avast ui or even shut down the pc, so ended up having to hit the power button. On restart, I was able to run the repair. Still no task bar icon (but it did take care of the IE8 problem which worked again after enabling the avast addon ).