Author Topic: missing taskbar icon in 9.0.2006  (Read 21974 times)

drummerman

Re: missing taskbar icon in 9.0.2006
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 11:49:56 PM »
Maybe I can help with this. I had this problem last week. It was intermittent also.

After a few restarts with no taskbar icon, I used a few cleaning tools like ccleaner and glary utilities and a few others. In Ccleaner, i've checked the Taskbar Icons and cleaned the registry also. And for last I used Auslogics Disk Defrag Free, and choosed to Defrag and Optimize. After that, I rebooted the pc.

Now the icon appears since then. Don't know what program made it appear, problaby Ccleaner and Auslogics Disk Defrag.

Give it a try. And sorry about my English  ;D

No. I use Ccleaner and it makes no difference.

Re-installed (clean) Avast and after the 2nd re-boot the icon is hidden again.

This is clearly a bug. Even though Avast is (probably) running ok in the background it is kinda difficult to rely on the program with such faults occurring.

I like the new version (as and when it works properly) but this is resulting in a lack of confidence about the protection of this AV.

I hope they can sort this with an update, quickly.

Thanks

regards

Sly_Toad

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 09:12:10 AM »
You can also try to do a clean reinstall.

To do that you have to download the uninstall tool. The avast 9 version one. Reboot, run it in Safe Mode, reboot and install avast again.

Sly_Toad

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 12:14:51 PM »
Sorry, didn't see your last post.

Ok, try to Defrag and Optimize. I'm not having issues anymore with the icon. It has problably to do with system startup, and by defragging, you can make your computer a little faster.

So, when I was having this issue, I used this programs, in this order just to clean the junk out of my pc, and voilá:

Ccleaner - be sure to select "tray notifications cache" under advanced. Note that all your tray icons will disappear. They start to reappear after a short time, or after you open a program that had a tray icon (if you have glary utilities or wisecare for exemple, the icons reappaer in the tray after you use them for the first time)
Glary Utilities - Default options
Ashampoo Winoptimizer Free - Default options
Tweaknow Regcleaner - Default options
WiseCare 365 - Default options
Auslogics Disk Defrag - Defrag and Optimize and click on Turn Off Pc after Deframention.

This worked for me. Avast icon appears 3 or 4 seconds after desktop is loaded.

Zetgeist

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
tried all that, after having tried reverting to a previous version (proper uninstall and whatnot)... worked for one boot, and then back to not working.

so I'm still stuck with the UI process, the service process, and the self defense stuff running but having no access to the AV itself.

since I've used other tools and all came up clean I'm thinking it's about time to give up and try another product, because even if I have been using avast for years and years now, "loyalty" is not a concept that holds sway in security software. if something isn't working... :/

drummerman

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2013, 09:58:39 AM »
This issue has gone quiet on the forum. Has everyone (apart from me) solved the problem?  :D

Still have this intermittent fault of the taskbar icon not loading and no access to the GUI, perhaps the programme not even working properly otherwise.

Have to say that AVAST has become a handful in the last couple of years.

For the inexperienced who just want a reliable AV I wouldn't recommend this programme anymore.

Most folks don't even know what a boot in safe mode is (!) and all this removing remnants with dedicated cleaning tools then re-installing etc etc is one huge faff around. Not good at all.

I appreciate that the guys at AVAST need to stay competitive and come up with ever more 'clever' features but personally I think it has gone to far.

Having said that, when it works (!) the new version seems less resource intensive and faster.

Back to basics?

regards
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 11:25:23 AM by drummerman »

Zetgeist

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2013, 07:11:26 PM »
for me, the UI-inaccessibility just stopped happening... but instead my IME is not working properly now. this time I have a restore point, but I'm probably going to have to have someone more knowledgeable come up with something to fix all the problems avast has been causing. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and drop avast. updating your antivirus shouldn't cause a mountain of problems, much less problems that change into other ones when trying to fix the initial ones. (the documents thing in my start menu is also now not doing it's job, even without letting that ashampoo thing mess with it. getting VERY annoyed)

honestly, if this is going quiet on the forums it's probably people getting angry and giving up.

jpChris

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2013, 08:13:53 PM »
Hi Zetgeist,

Instead of going through all this brain damage, go back to v.8. You can get it here:

http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php

Scroll down to v.8.0.1489

pogo5

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2013, 10:35:58 PM »

drummerman

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2013, 11:06:42 PM »

pogo5

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2013, 11:42:30 PM »

I'd be surprised if that will solve the issue.

regards

Well, 5 reboots...Avast icon is there in the taskbar on every reboot.

However, I still say it's a bug.  However, I like the increase speed of my ancient PC with this version of Avast.  Also, the manual update of the  virus definitions files is a lot faster, than it use to be with the earlier versions of Avast. 

vegetarianmeatloaf

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2013, 05:16:40 AM »
This also happened to me upon avast updating from v8 to v9. I am unable to access avast's UI to configure it due to this.

The OS is Windows 7, 64-bit. This didn't happen in v8. Windows 7's Action Center detects that avast is fine and running. Also, avast's DeepScreen feature has worked on a software I tried. I've rebooted the computer more than 5 times already, but the issue persists.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2013, 05:20:49 AM »
This also happened to me upon avast updating from v8 to v9. I am unable to access avast's UI to configure it due to this.

The OS is Windows 7, 64-bit. This didn't happen in v8. Windows 7's Action Center detects that avast is fine and running. Also, avast's DeepScreen feature has worked on a software I tried. I've rebooted the computer more than 5 times already, but the issue persists.
Did you leave 10 or 15 minutes in between each reboot to let windows repopulate itself, rebooting one after the other straight away wont work sorry.

vegetarianmeatloaf

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2013, 08:01:56 AM »

Did you leave 10 or 15 minutes in between each reboot to let windows repopulate itself, rebooting one after the other straight away wont work sorry.
The reboots are hours apart. (I've been having this issue for days, since avast updated to v.9.) I also tried a 'Repair' through avast's uninstaller, to no avail.

Foxfan100

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2013, 03:26:12 PM »
I thought this problem had resolved on my system.

It hasn't!

After a couple of days where the icon appeared in the Tray as it should, it then stopped doing so.

The only way I can get it to show up is as I described in my first post on this. That is, to log off my default Admin account, log on to my "Super Admin" account, log off that and then back on the normal account.

This, needless to say, is the proverbial PITA; especially as I have a paid full version of Internet Security.

Sly_Toad

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2013, 03:04:58 PM »
Ok, after a few days, I've run into to this problem again 3 times. And I managed to resolve it again. But I've noticed something peculiar.

It took the first 2 times to notice something. Everytime, at least in my system, that the icon disappears after reboot, I can't open Avast from desktop. If i try to open it in safe mode, it takes ages and the status is Unknow and this doesn't fix anything.

So, how I fix it. I've installed a little cleanup tool named Bleachbit. It has some hidden options in the edit -> preferences -> don't show irrelevant... something. I'm translating from portuguese, because the program doesn't let me choose any other language (if it's installed in a pc with a different language, it'll install in english, french, etc etc etc).

After that, basically I've selected all options to clean .temp files from all programs on the list. Only .temp files.

I've noticed then that a 30mb .temp file was created by avast. I've deleted this file and rebooted. The Icon showed again and avast was up and runnin'.

The 3rd time it happened I repeated this process. The temp file was only created after a reboot in safe mode and trying to open avast from there. It took about 4 minutes for avast to load into "Unknown Status" and then I rebooted, cleaned the temp file and rebooted again.

This is starting to get annoying. Hope it'll be fixed soon.