Author Topic: How to scan in safe mode?  (Read 12818 times)

Damage Inc

How to scan in safe mode?
« on: May 24, 2005, 10:35:48 PM »
Hi,

I´ve been using avast! free for more than a month now, and I decided to register after the trial ends, because its really great. I dumped panda antivirus because of avast! free. I can still use panda for 5 more months I think, but no thanks, avast! found 9 more viruses after a complete scan with panda antivirus. I paid almost 50 E (euro :) ) for a bad program, avast! free is better and whats even more...its free, thanks ;D

And now about my problem, I want to run a scan in safe mode but I don´t know how to do it, because I can´t use a mouse in safe mode. Are there any shortcuts so I can run a scan with the keyboard? I use windows 98 SE

I hope you can help me,

Thanks

P.S. I´m sorry if there are any incorrections in the text :)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: How to scan in safe mode?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 11:00:28 PM »
Hi and welcome to the best forum out there !

You don't have to do that while you are in safe mode. Just start your antivirus while you are logged "normal" way in Windows, clcik on MENU or right-click somewhere on the skin to get context menu (see screenshot).

Then chose Schedule Boot-Time scan...

That's all you have to do... then reset your computer and leave avast doing it's job...

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 01:03:10 AM »
Sorry you can't schedule a boot-time scan when your OS is win98, it doesn't have that functionality, you need an NT based OS.

Why can't you use your mouse in safe mode?

If your mouse is a USB mouse ensure that it is enabled in the BIOS so if the mouse driver isn't loaded, you may lose the bells and whistles but it may still be recognised and give a basic mouse function.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 01:07:09 AM »
Sorry, David just forced me to re-read your initial post and I found this:

And now about my problem, I want to run a scan in safe mode but I don´t know how to do it, because I can´t use a mouse in safe mode. Are there any shortcuts so I can run a scan with the keyboard? I use windows 98 SE

Again, I overlooked it, and I appologize...  :-\

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 01:19:27 AM »
Sorry you can't schedule a boot-time scan when your OS is win98, it doesn't have that functionality, you need an NT based OS.
You can only install avast! for DOS (see FAQ or Settings in my signature), install it, update it, boot with a floopy, go there and run it  :)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 01:23:41 AM »
No problem, I wasn't hassling you, just trying to save 'Damage Inc' trying in vain to get it to work.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 01:27:55 AM »
You can only install avast! for DOS (see FAQ or Settings in my signature), install it, update it, boot with a floopy, go there and run it :)
'Damage Inc' also has another problem, he can't use his mouse in safe mode, he may be unable to use it (for the same reason/s) in DOS.

We will have to wait until he gets back to us about why he can't use the mouse on safe mode.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 01:28:23 AM »
No problem, I wasn't hassling you, just trying to save 'Damage Inc' trying in vain to get it to work.
No problem, I wasn't hassling you, just trying to save 'Damage Inc' trying in vain to get it to work.  ;D ;)
Yeah, the same  :)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 01:43:27 AM »
I have just had a thought (not good at almost 1 a.m.), in DOS he would just have keyboard alpha numeric inputs with the avast for DOS (I don't know I have never used it?) so he may not requie a mouse in that instance.

Hopismum

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 01:45:59 AM »
troublemaker jumping in here  ;D   lol

I have Win98 SE on my other machine..  Ill give that a shot and see what happens

Damage Inc

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 12:59:18 PM »
Thanks for your help guys :) Why can´t I use mouse in the safe mode? I don´t know. I don´t know how to "turn it on" in safe mode. Somebody said that it can be done in BIOS, can you give me some suggestions how to do it? I´ve never been in BIOS ??? , but i know what is BIOS, well a little :)

Somebody suggested to download avast! for DOS or something...if I do that, is scanning much longer than in windows? Just wondering...
I will be very happy if you help me set up my mouse to work in safe mode so I can make a scan in safe mode.

I use mouse logitech mx 300 and i quess that it´s plugged into the USB port :)

Thanks again :)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2005, 01:12:26 PM »
Well, you have be sure that you are using mouse on your USB port. Take a look at the other end of the mouse cord and you have to find a jack looking exactly as the one on the right hand side of this picture:

When you are sure you are using USB, and most likely you are... then you have to go to your BIOS and enable USB Legacy support. No one can lead you through your BIOS, since every BIOS is kinda same, but on the other hand very different. No one knows how those options are in your BIOS. You just have to go through all of them, and search for the ENABLE USB LEGACY SUPPORT for DOS or something similar. Please, DO NOT touch other options since you said you are not comfortable with changing them... you can easily make your system completely unstable and even make it non-bootable. Of course, everything can be fixed by reseting your CMOS, but I wouldn't go into that right now... right now, most important thing is to find ENABLE USB in your BIOS and that should do the trick for you while you are in Safe Mode.

Cheers !

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2005, 01:13:48 PM »
Also, please read this carefully:

http://support.intel.com/support/peripherals/sb/cs-011939.htm

Among the other things, it states this:

Symptoms if USB Legacy Support is Disabled
If USB Legacy Support is disabled in the BIOS, you will not be able to use your USB mouse or keyboard in any of the following situations:
Running your computer in Safe mode.
Using a Windows Startup menu.
Starting your computer in MS-DOS mode (instead of opening a MS-DOS session from Windows).
Starting your computer from a floppy disk or leaving a floppy disk in the drive when you turn on or restart your computer.
Windows "blue screen" errors that ask you to "Press any key to continue".
Responding to ScanDisk and other messages during the start-up sequence.
Editing or upgrading the BIOS.
Entering a BIOS password.

Damage Inc

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2005, 07:50:06 PM »
Oh man...I don´t even know how to get into the bios :-[ F1,F2, del,...should work but not on my pc. When I restarted the pc i saw press shift+tab for bios and when I do that, bios doesn´t appear (blue window must appear as far as I know).
Can please somebody help? How can I get into the bios?

I use MSI VIA KT333 motherboard.

Thanks again, I don´t owe you just a beer, I owe you whole six pack ;D

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2005, 08:03:32 PM »
Well, I don't know much about that specific MB, but usually you have to press DEL, and when I say press I don't mean just press once and wait... usually, you have to keep pressing continually until you are inside the BIOS, but I guess some motherboards have some other ways to get into BIOS.

If during the startup Window (DOS) it says press SHIFT + TAB to enter BIOS, then I guess you have to keep pressing that combination of keys to enter the BIOS. You have to do that, otherwise you won't get into BIOS no matter what you do... so, keep trying...