Author Topic: Avast 2014 mail shield is not scanning anything  (Read 7686 times)

Duncan9999

Avast 2014 mail shield is not scanning anything
« on: October 21, 2013, 07:43:22 PM »
Hi,

Is anyone else having a problem with the Avast mail shield not scanning anything?, can you guys check and see if your program is behaving similar? 

Go to statistics/real time data and look at the progress bar for file system shield and web shield. Mine both show activity with a bar running across and a number. However the mail shield has nothing at all. I don't know if I am protected or not with this. I don't understand why the progress bar is blank and I sent and received some e mails, shouldn't the progress bar show something?

I am running Thunderbird version 24 and the Avast mail shield is activated.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 10:17:26 PM by Duncan9999 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast Version 9 mail shield is not scanning anything
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 07:47:29 PM »
If you are using ssl, please check this: http://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB91#idt_0301

Duncan9999

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 08:09:25 PM »
I had a feeling the problem may lie with the connection as it is SSL/TLS on Thunderbird, but it's not set up with authentication of a TLS certificate, it's using a password. 

I did not get any error message when sending e mails about the certificate being invalid and I did not export the certificate in Avast. Perhaps this is the problem? Was working fine in Avast 8 and it was SSL also.

I'm very confused as to what to do here.

Duncan9999

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 08:26:03 PM »
I went and tried to import the certificate and Thunderbird told me it was already imported.
What do I do now?

Offline aa.avast

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 08:58:44 PM »
Same issue here using Outlook 2007 set up for SSL.   The bar is not moving, real time data is showing the email was scanned, but no indication of that on the bar. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 08:58:18 AM by aa.avast »

Duncan9999

Re: Avast 2014 mail shield is not scanning anything
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 10:45:11 PM »
I cannot believe that only 1 person was kind enough to check their program to see if they were experiencing a similar issue.

Nobody out here is having this problem but me?

Zyla

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 12:43:40 AM »
I noticed it as well

The bar is not moving, but real time data is showing the email was scanned, just not anything about it on the bar (also not using SSL), also checked the box to put a clean message in all incoming email, which is appearing.

It looks like it is scanning the email, but not showing anything about it on the activity bar (also using thunderbird)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 01:55:51 AM »
Maybe the problem is on the statistics page and not in the email shield.
My emails are being signed by avast!, i.e., being scanned, but the statistics are null  :-X
The best things in life are free.

Duncan9999

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 02:49:15 AM »
My emails are being signed by avast!, i.e., being scanned, but the statistics are null  :-X

That screenshot you posted is exactly what mine looks like. It's driving me crazy, to me it seems like it's not working. I told Avast to put a message into my incoming and outgoing mails and it is doing that. I then went into the e mail shield settings and told it to make a log file and to tag all emails that were OK. I then sent myself a few e mails and checked the log files again. The log file showed all my incoming and outgoing e mails and tagged them at the end as OK.

I don't know if this is an indication that the shield is actively protecting my system. For me to feel secure I think that progress bar needs to show some activity. I wonder if I need to do a clean install. I updated to the new version from within the program itself. I did not uninstall the old version first. Did any of you update from within the program or did you do a clean install?

Duncan9999

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 03:08:02 AM »
I noticed it as well

The bar is not moving, but real time data is showing the email was scanned, just not anything about it on the bar (also not using SSL), also checked the box to put a clean message in all incoming email, which is appearing.

It looks like it is scanning the email, but not showing anything about it on the activity bar (also using thunderbird)

I'm using Thunderbird with SSL and am having the problem. It's affecting a few of us at this point. Hopefully more will post. I would feel so much better if that progress bar was showing activity though. I keep doubting that the shield is working.  :-\

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 11:52:04 PM »
...same her .. mailshield keeps checking, but no stats of checking at all...
Win8, latest TBird, SSL, several email accounts..

Greets
S@uDepp

grmorrow

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 05:20:28 AM »
 >:( I am having the same problem. It appears the email protection is not working. This upgrade is crap to be honest!

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 05:24:54 AM »
+1

I know the avast mail shield is working because it has blocked 2 e-mails that contained a virus. But like for you the statistics are null.
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 05:34:01 AM »
+1

I know the avast mail shield is working because it has blocked 2 e-mails that contained a virus. But like for you the statistics are null.

Yah, I also believe that the "Statistic" Module/Page is the issue. :-\

Duncan9999

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 02:13:24 PM »
I submitted a support ticket on this problem.