Author Topic: Avast Internet Security / Windows 8.1 / Firewall will not turn on.  (Read 6840 times)

vincentp

I recently updated to Windows 8.1, which was a mistake.  All sorts of problems so far, but I digress.  System is 64-bit Windows 8(.1) and was running Avast with no problems prior to the update.

I had a version of Avast that was probably a couple of months old, and when I updated Windows, it totally uninstalled it.  OK, not the end of the world.  I re-downloaded the newest version of Internet Security - which I'd already purchased - from the Avast website.  Everything reinstalled fine, but the firewall simply won't start.  The interface is also completely different than what I was used to and I'm wondering whether or not I had the correct version.  The tray icon just has a yellow warning triangle over it, and the status tab in Avast shows a large warning saying the firewall is off.  I tried disabling Windows firewall before attempting to reactivate it, which did not help.  Every time I try to activate the firewall it simply says the firewall could not be started.

Has anyone else run into this and is it something I can fix?  I can't even seem to find an option to make the warning go away, and I'm hoping the rest of the protection is running properly.  It's hard for me to tell because the firewall off message is prominently displayed over everything and cannot be removed.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 07:49:40 PM by vincentp »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast √úberevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Avast Internet Security / Windows 8.1 / Firewall will not turn on.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 07:57:22 PM »
8.1 may have left some old registry settings which is causing a conflict with Avast

Uninstall Avas and run bot AswClear and the new V9 uninstaller.  Then install a fresh copy

So :

Uninstall Avast via control panel

Run Rejzors V8 uninstall tool http://my.opera.com/rejzor/blog/2013/02/01/avast-cleanup-tool
Run the V9 uninstall tool

Download Uninstall Utility to your Desktop.
Download the correct version of Avast 
Avast Free
Avast Pro
Avast Internet Security
Avast Premier
Disconnect from the net
Uninstall Avast via control panel

• Run aswClear
  • It will offer to reboot to safe mode

• In the Select Product to Uninstall dropdown choose the version of Avast that is on your system.
  • Press Uninstall
  • Once complete reboot your system to Normal Mode
  • Reinstall Avast
----------

vincentp

Re: Avast Internet Security / Windows 8.1 / Firewall will not turn on.
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 08:02:22 PM »
Thank you.  I'll give the full uninstall a shot when I get home from work.