Author Topic: My PC can not get on line  (Read 3437 times)

REDACTED

My PC can not get on line
« on: July 16, 2014, 07:46:01 PM »
My PC can not get on line with Avast running. Avast continues to start and re start and re start and re start. You get the idea.
The icon just shimmers from a gold tone to a blue tone. I had to stop Avast for 1 hour to get here.

In control panel I tried to refresh Avast, and then re started my system. My pc is a older XP pro model, and I am not very pc savy. I hunted for any manual control setting in Settings and can not find any, but Believe I have seen that in the past.

When I start the system which runs of a phone line Wifi it says i have a good connection to the wifi, but no web pages will load and it acts as if the phone line is dead.

With Avast shut off I can get right on line to my e-mail and the site i go to to chat, shop, and etc no problem quick as wink.

In task manager i don't see anything unusual, like avast is hogging too much memory, but it sure acts like it is HOGGING every bit of memory there is. There are notices of 21 bits of grim and I don't think that has a thing to do with being plain unable to get on line.

Anyone know what I need to do?  mac

REDACTED

Re: My PC can not get on line
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 09:45:53 PM »
Just checking in with AVAST OFF I tried to update my sig line and it won't let me, to this.

WIFI on phone line 
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version   5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer MSI
System Model MS-7309
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~2109 Mhz

The 56 dial up is gone now

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 12:44:41 AM »
My PC can not get on line with Avast running. Avast continues to start and re start and re start and re start. You get the idea.
The icon just shimmers from a gold tone to a blue tone. I had to stop Avast for 1 hour to get here.

In control panel I tried to refresh Avast, and then re started my system. My pc is a older XP pro model, and I am not very pc savy. I hunted for any manual control setting in Settings and can not find any, but Believe I have seen that in the past.

When I start the system which runs of a phone line Wifi it says i have a good connection to the wifi, but no web pages will load and it acts as if the phone line is dead.

With Avast shut off I can get right on line to my e-mail and the site i go to to chat, shop, and etc no problem quick as wink.

In task manager i don't see anything unusual, like avast is hogging too much memory, but it sure acts like it is HOGGING every bit of memory there is. There are notices of 21 bits of grim and I don't think that has a thing to do with being plain unable to get on line.

Anyone know what I need to do?  mac
What version of avast [Free, Pro, Avast Internet Security, Premier]? and program version?
Avast continues to start and re start and re start and re start. You get the idea.  The icon just shimmers from a gold tone to a blue tone. I had to stop Avast for 1 hour to get here.
That's the avast icon in the system tray area actively scanning your files.  Does that all the time here.

Not a good idea to disable your a/v protection, esp. with XP nowadays.  I'd try a direct connection with a router to see if that fixes your issue(s) with avast! running.  Skip the Wi-Fi connection for now.  See if that helps.

Please post back your findings.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 01:00:12 AM »
If after what mchain has suggested does not work, the next step would be a clean install.

I think this should fix your issue.

Make sure after removing, see if there are any yellow triangle avast! entries in device manager.

1. Download Avastclear, Rejzors uninstall tool and the appropriate Avast program edition

Note: It's important you used the stub online installer from the one I linked.. NOT the offline one.

Note: You need to be ONLINE during this install (online installer works in all cases whereas offline sometimes doesn't)

http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_free_antivirus_setup_online.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_pro_antivirus_setup_online.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_internet_security_setup_online.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_premier_antivirus_setup_online.exe

Avastclear : http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avastclear.exe
Rejzors Uninstall tool: http://rejzor.wordpress.com/avast-cleanup-tool/

2. Uninstall Avast by control panel  [If you don't have Avast in control Panel go to #4]
3. Uninstall in safe mode using Avastclear.
4. Run Rejzors Uninstall Utility in Normal Mode (removes traces avastclear doesn't) - reboot.
Check : Once uninstalled check in device manager>view>show hidden devices if there is anything related to avast with a yellow triangle.. if so, uninstall it and reboot.
5. Install the version you downloaded.
6. Reboot.

Note : If you have a paid license, install it after the reboot at stage 6.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 05:32:46 PM »
Today with doing nothing everything seems fine. Quick as a wink speed, can get on line and go anywhere fast.

The icon is golden tone and the bubble says the system is secure when you hoover the cursor over the icon.

The hard wire phone lines are rural and antique. The wifi is up stairs on that line close to the point the wires come to the house. A straight line thru the wall and floor is about 18 feet, and the connection says it is "very good".

There us no cable here and for tv it is satellite. Once we were on line via satellite, but weather made that a bad idea. Snow on the dish and T storms would mess up the pc's as it still does the tv any time it gets a little too cloudy.

If it is bad phone lines I don't under stand as there are 2 other PC's here that don't do this. Thanks for any replies. I will come back.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 10:25:40 AM »
You are certainly welcome to come back to your thread and ask us for more help.

Since you've cleared up your issues by doing nothing today, are you using a 56k modem to connect your XP box to the Internet or a Wi-Fi attachment to do so?  If so, where is your router?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 06:50:24 PM »
 am on this way now

WIFI on phone line 
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version   5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer MSI
System Model MS-7309
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~2109 Mhz

The 56 dial up is gone now
 The system here will not allow me to change the status in my sig line.

And today I can not browse the web with Avast ON. Again. Currently i have turned it off for an hour.
  With ot off things are working just fine. I can look at any web site like Face book, craigs list, sites I go to for chat and news.

Let Avast be on and I can't go anywhere at all.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 06:52:06 PM by Mac_Muz »

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 07:07:58 PM »
My 1 hour timed out and avast returned. I made a screen shot and use lightshot to post it here.

http://prntscr.com/44klpd

So maybe one day nothing is wrong and the next day because of Avast i can't get on????

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 07:10:56 PM »
Be cautious with that link it appears to want to install a flash player and other such bundled stuff