Author Topic: Latest update a disaster  (Read 2890 times)

bangorme

Latest update a disaster
« on: October 21, 2013, 08:49:42 PM »
Today I updated my Avast Free anti-virus installation to the most current.  After I rebooted my computer, nothing on the internet worked.  Microsoft Outlook wouldn't use the internet, Mozilla Firefox couldn't access the internet, and even my network indicator didn't showed there was no network connect.  I rebooted several times with the same issue.  So, I signed on in Safe mode, and the internet was functioning normally.  I uninstalled Avast, and no more problems.  So, my question is, was my installation of the the Avast update faulty in some way, or is this update just buggy?

I need to know before reinstalling Avast.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 08:51:42 PM by bangorme »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Latest update a disaster
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 09:10:04 PM »
- Which avast!..?? (Free/Pro/IS/Premier)
- Which version..??
- OS..?? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP..?)
- Other security related software installed..??
- Which AV(s) did you use before avast!..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 09:10:49 PM »
Some important information missing and required to try and help:
What avast version are you using free/Pro/AIS/Premier ?

What is your operating system and firewall ?

Updates to programs can trigger some firewalls to block the changed functions/processes, if that happens it appears that avast is blocking when in fact it could be avast being blocked, resulting in the same symptom.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bangorme

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 09:31:58 PM »
Some important information missing and required to try and help:
What avast version are you using free/Pro/AIS/Premier ?

What is your operating system and firewall ?

Updates to programs can trigger some firewalls to block the changed functions/processes, if that happens it appears that avast is blocking when in fact it could be avast being blocked, resulting in the same symptom.

Thanks for the reply.  I'm not blaming AVAST necessarily, only stating that when I deleted it the problem went away.  Now for some details:
Win 7 (64 bit)
Firewall: Zonealarm ver: 11.0.768
AVAST: Free version.  Can't tell you the version number, since I updated it today through the AVAST software, and had to delete it to post this.

AVAST has been my anti-virus software for a year  (with no problems).  I have no other security software.

balscarlet

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 09:35:41 PM »
Hi, there, as a whole, I really like the avast2014.  It is quite sleek looking.

I have 2 things that I have issues with. One I don't think I can solve until they fix it in an update.

1.Sandbox has been changed to 'Deep Screen'. I was wondering how come my game wouldn't save(I thought it was the game, since there were
some issues with it), but, I was reading about the new fixes, etc, and I knew I had read something about 'sandbox'. So I went & looked back, and I had an 'AHA' moment.  Sandbox was changed to 'DeepScreen'.  So, I was able to fix that problem.

2.I do not like the fact that you cannot delete old scan logs. Only if you clear them ALL. I know that you can tell it to delete after 1 day, etc., but I liked it previously where you could delete yesterday's, just like that.

Other than that, avast2014 is just like my old friend.

Thank you for making a wonderful FREE product, avast!!!

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 09:40:52 PM »
 @bangorme can you delete all references to Avast in Zone Alarm and then let them through again when ZA asks

bangorme

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 09:45:14 PM »
@bangorme can you delete all references to Avast in Zone Alarm and then let them through again when ZA asks

OK, I will delete all Avast references in ZoneAlarm, then   reinstall.

bangorme

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 10:48:25 PM »
OK, I did as I said I'd do in the previous post, did a clean reinstall of AVAST, and it seems to be running normally.

Thanks for the help.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 10:55:48 PM »
No problem, that is a problem with third party firewalls they do not know that Avast must be let through and that the file does change sometimes :)