Author Topic: Issue: avast! 4.6-665 Pro and Mozilla Firefox  (Read 16444 times)

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Issue: avast! 4.6-665 Pro and Mozilla Firefox
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2005, 08:54:09 PM »
I've tried almost all links posted here, and everything works fine for me. I can say I've never had "The document contains no data" warning since updated avast.  ???

DaveD

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2005, 09:30:07 PM »
Apparantly nobody noticed my Reply #7 which states that this is an issue with your ISP's DNS servers being slow and overloaded at times.

- Try changing your primary and secondary DNS servers to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2
- Reboot

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2005, 08:54:13 AM »
Sorry DaveD but I really doubt this that has anything to do with DNS.

Let me explain this in more detail. When you type in an URL to the address bar of your browser (or click a link on a page), the following things happen:

1. the browser starts DNS query to resolve the server name part of the URL to an IP address (at this stage, the WebShield is in no way involed).
2. When it gets the IP address, it attempts to connect to it. WebShield intercepts the connection request and redirects it to its own port.

So, if step 1. fails, the browser will behave absolutely the same whether or not WebShield is active. On the other hand, if it gets to step 2. but the remote site is inaccessible, the behavior may change.

In other words, the "problem" will only be visible for URL's that do have a valid DNS record (their name can be resolved) but are unreachable.

Hope this makes sense
Vlk
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 09:14:44 AM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.