Author Topic: False alarm?  (Read 6678 times)

asafdem

False alarm?
« on: October 05, 2003, 09:11:13 AM »
Avast 4 lately, imho, created a false alarm. In the same file, depending on wether the file was within compressed file or not, avast 4 detected two diferent viruses: Screaming Fist-927 and Emmie-397! ( see attached file "detection.gif" ). I used online scanners to double check and triple check the file ( Trend Micro and Kaspersky labs sites ), and no virus was found. Can anyone help in making of final decision or if it is a bug creating a false alarm, will it be corrected soon? ???

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re:False alarm?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2003, 09:37:31 AM »
Yes, it is a false alarm. Is that  File from  PC-Tools9.0? If so you can delete it, it will not protect you against Virus anymore.
I think Avast finds some unencrypted Virus-signatures in it, so it should be not so easy to fix it. You could make a boardsearch  for Panda. There you have the same problem.
MfG Ralf

asafdem

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2003, 03:42:15 PM »
raman

Yes, the file is from PCTools 9, and I know it doesn't protect me from viruses at all. I scaned the file using online Panda scaner and it didn't report any infection! You call yourself avast evangelist? No need to. I intend to post some disaponting results regarding avast 4 pro abilities to detect viruses. See Avast 4 forum.

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2003, 03:49:35 PM »
You call yourself avast evangelist?

No, i don´t! You become avast evangelist too, if you write >250(?) Postings. :)
MfG Ralf

asafdem

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2003, 09:17:45 PM »
On the subject of false detection in cpav.exe again...

(from the Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal / Personal Pro 4.5  USER GUIDE) ...The extracting tool...can also deal with some versions of immunizers, programs protecting executable files from viruses by attaching checking code blocks (CPAV and F-XLOCK) and enciphering programs (CryptCOM) to them.

I guess this (virus-like behaviour of CPAV.EXE) sheds some light on why Avast! 4 detects non-existent virus in CPAV.EXE It also shows that something can be done about it! ;)

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2003, 09:49:03 PM »
No, that something different. Avast finds some unencrypted Virussignature. The thing the Kaspersky guide depense on is, that CPAV was able to imunize exefiles. It should be a kind of Protection for these files, but that is/was very uneffectiv. If you imunize an allready infected file or a Trojan/Backdoor than AV-Software who isn´t able to unpack these imunization will not find the Trojan/Backdoor/Virus under the imunization.
MfG Ralf