Author Topic: Windows 8.1 Defender  (Read 4805 times)

James G

Windows 8.1 Defender
« on: October 21, 2013, 04:25:19 PM »
I updated to 8.1 last week. This morning Windows Defender informed me that it had prevented Avast from starting and that it, Defender, was now protecting my machine. I've been using Avast since Windows 7 came out and I trust it. But Defender seems to be built into 8.1, and I can't figure out how to switch back to Avast. Does anyone know how to do it?

Offline TwinHeadedEagle

• Malware Removal Expert
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Zemana
Re: Windows 8.1 Defender
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 05:49:03 PM »
My help is free, however if you'd like to show your appreciation by leaving a donation, it will be much appreciated ------> DONATE

James G

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 06:29:36 PM »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 07:45:42 PM »
8.1 should automatically disable defender when it detects Avast, what version of Avast do you have ? 

Dch48

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 08:42:45 PM »
Here's how you can disable Windows Defender

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/turn-windows-defender-on-off#turn-windows-defender-on-off=windows-7

That doesn't apply to Windows 8.1, but thanks.
In 8.1 you still turn defender on or off through it's Windows Control Panel applet.

James G

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 05:28:29 PM »
8.1 should automatically disable defender when it detects Avast, what version of Avast do you have ?

I no longer have Avast. When I updated from Windows 8 to 8.1, it <i>removed</i> Avast. But it should have been a recent version since I've only had the computer about a month, and I installed Avast as soon as I bought the computer.

James G

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 05:32:38 PM »
Here's how you can disable Windows Defender

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/turn-windows-defender-on-off#turn-windows-defender-on-off=windows-7

That doesn't apply to Windows 8.1, but thanks.
In 8.1 you still turn defender on or off through it's Windows Control Panel applet.

Right, I found it.