Author Topic: Avast 2014 - Beta, RC or RV ?  (Read 3443 times)

Tabvla

Avast 2014 - Beta, RC or RV ?
« on: October 22, 2013, 04:05:30 PM »
I am a little confused  :o   .....  is Avast 2014 in Beta, Release Candidate or Released Version....?

T.

Rohugh

Re: Avast 2014 - Beta, RC or RV ?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 04:11:17 PM »
Full released version,  betas and RCs are all done with.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 04:17:55 PM »
I am a little confused  :o   .....  is Avast 2014 in Beta, Release Candidate or Released Version....?

T.
go to http://www.avast.com/en-us/index-win  and see.    ;)

Tabvla

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 05:39:49 PM »
Thanks Rohugh and Pondus for your replies.

But..... I am still confused  :o   .....  if this is a full released version then why is the quality of the product equivalent to that of an early Beta?

T.

Erroneus

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 05:57:54 PM »
Because they ran out of time. Windows 8.1 was released last Friday and they wanted to have Avast 2014 ready for that.

I agree fully, Avast 2014 is a beta product and a total disaster: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=137654.0

Rohugh

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 06:28:36 PM »
Thanks Rohugh and Pondus for your replies.

But..... I am still confused  :o   .....  if this is a full released version then why is the quality of the product equivalent to that of an early Beta?

T.

There is a large variance of results from this new version,  many have no problems - or at least very few minor ones (and I am one of those) -  whereas there are also a lot who have found problems,  some that make it difficult for them to use 2014.  Although this version was (probably) rushed out whenever it was released there are bound to be things that need correcting as it immediately became available to a wide selection of types of pc/OS set-ups.  All that can be hoped for at the moment is that problems are reported in these forums in a constructive way to allow the devs to see them and take action to correct them.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 08:47:18 PM »
Because they ran out of time. Windows 8.1 was released last Friday and they wanted to have Avast 2014 ready for that.

I agree fully, Avast 2014 is a beta product and a total disaster: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=137654.0
And I fully disagree! avast is "not" in beta anymore. The percentage of users having issues is really quite low. Those who do not experience issues rarely post so what you see posted are the very small percentage who do have problems. avast also did not "rush" this release there was over a month of beta testing during which a number of minor issues were fixed. I know this since I did beta test  v2014. In stating that v2014 is "a total disaster" shows that you are making a sad attempt at bad-mouthing an excellent product.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Tabvla

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 10:12:52 PM »
........The percentage of users having issues is really quite low..........

Can you please quantify your statement with actual numbers.  Can you also please provide verifiable and checkable references to verify the validity of those numbers.

Thanks.

T.

Erroneus

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 10:53:36 PM »
And I fully disagree! avast is "not" in beta anymore. The percentage of users having issues is really quite low. Those who do not experience issues rarely post so what you see posted are the very small percentage who do have problems. avast also did not "rush" this release there was over a month of beta testing during which a number of minor issues were fixed. I know this since I did beta test  v2014. In stating that v2014 is "a total disaster" shows that you are making a sad attempt at bad-mouthing an excellent product.  :)
Or maybe people simply uninstall it and find another better software. I've been hit with multiple bugs, so I can only judge from my own bad experience with Avast 2014.

Stuck in Safezone! Because they didn't test out Safezone in a multi-monitor setup, I was stuck in safezone, only spamming the ctrl-alt-del finally crashed/exited it.
Getting a "Page not found", when logging into "My Devices".
The entire firewall not working properly. Not able to ping or RDP my machine, even though it was turned on in settings and didn't even work with every Avast shield off.
Bad danish translation with tons of errors and missing translations.
Action center kept reporting Avast firewall wasn't running, which was fixed after a definition update though.

That is simply not good enough.