Author Topic: cannon run avast GUI from tray icon  (Read 12285 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: cannon run avast GUI from tray icon
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2005, 12:51:57 PM »
So, if you open Task Manager and watch for the process to appear in the list (when you are starting it), it pops up only very shortly there and disappears again?

atomizer

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2005, 01:38:28 PM »
Actually it doesn't appear at all. Processor usage jumps to about 25% (from a base line of 0-4%) for about 1 second and then goes back to normal.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2005, 01:48:30 PM »
Igor, I had the same behavior described by Atomizer some time ago...
No crashes, just avast! GUI did not start.
I'm not sure, but maybe a 'repair' or, because I was experiencing some trouble with Internet Mail Provider and Lukas was helping me, I uninstall and install again. Sorry, I can't troubleshoot this...
The best things in life are free.

atomizer

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2005, 12:24:30 AM »
Tech, i did the repair thing, then an uninstall and reinstall, then an uninstall and manually removed any leftovers i could find (i remember some stuff in the registry, i forget what else) and a reinstall, then an uninstall using the avast uninstall utility on the website and a reinstall.

no change at all.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2005, 01:26:56 AM »
Atomizer, are you using any different Theme for Windows? WindowsBlinds? StyleXP?
Which are your monitor settings?
Anyway, I think the problem is on a 'messed' Internet Explorer installation...  :'(

atomizer

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2005, 02:23:03 AM »
no themes (i have the service dissabled) or replacement shells -- standard explorer with no eye candy.
monitor -- i'm not sure what you're after here. LCD at 1280x1024, 32 bit color, 70Hz refresh.

as for IE, i've been running many custom XP installations using nLite over the past couple months. with nLite, there are 2 options reguarding the removal of IE; one just removes access and the other removes the core files (and probably modifies other system files). i've never removed the core files, only access, and avast has always worked like a champ.

trouble is, i can't pinpoint when the problem started. i'm thinking that it started after a program update about a month or so ago on an existing XP install, but i'm not sure. i too suspect that the problem has to do with removing XP components, but then i see a couple others have mantioned the same problem.

if you can provide a list of files that avast depends on, i'll search to make sure i have them all.

BTW, here's a list of all services i dissabled:

DHCP client
distributed link tracking client
distributed trans. coordinator
DNS client
fast user switching
network provisioning service
print spooler
QOS RSVP
remote access auto conn. mgr.
remote access conn. mgr.
remote desktop help
removable storage
smart card
system restore
TCP/IP netBIOS helper
terminal services
themes
uninterruptable pwr. supply
wireless zero config.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 02:30:17 AM by atomizer »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2005, 02:50:06 AM »
If you can provide a list of files that avast depends on, i'll search to make sure i have them all.
Sorry, I'm empty... on the limit of my guesses and knowleage  :-[

atomizer

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2005, 03:22:27 AM »
i understand, and i appreciate the help so far. i'll be doing another fresh nLite XP install shortly, so we'll see what happens then.

RJARRRPCGP

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2005, 04:21:27 AM »
xp components removed using nLite:
http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html

That's interesting, because when testing nLite back in April, I can can use Avast and without those problems even when nLite removed almost everything, including the IE core!

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2005, 05:34:51 PM »
I really don't think avast! uses anything special... it utilizes the IE ActiveX control (implemented in SHDOCVW.DLL). I'm sure nothing has changed since April.
You can try to register the ActiveX control (using regsvr32 SHDOCVW.DLL)

The other errors you pasted occurred inside of HHCTRL.OCX - HtmlHelp library that certainly also uses IE control. So, I believe it is another hint that the IE installation is somehow corrupted.
I'd suggest to reinstall IE and possibly try to remove it again, if you wish.