Author Topic: Avast Internet Security won't update or download new 9.0  (Read 5250 times)

REDACTED

Avast Internet Security won't update or download new 9.0
« on: October 23, 2013, 12:50:16 PM »
 Hi All,

Could do with some help.  I'm running Windows 7 Pro, 64bit.  Yesterday I was prompted to download and install 9.0.... from 8.15.... but now stuck.

I cannot download the new version and cannot download up-dates, cannot uninstall.

Just stuck.

What can I do apart from go for a coffee and hope by some miracle all is well by the time I get back!

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast Internet Security won't update or download new 9.0
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 12:55:00 PM »
1. Download the right aswclear and the appropriate program

http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_pro_antivirus_setup.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_internet_security_setup.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_premier_antivirus_setup.exe

v8 and below : http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
v9: http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avastclear.exe

2. Uninstall Avast by control panel  [If you don't have Avast in control Panel go to #4]
3. Uninstall in safe mode using aswclear (v8 or below) or avastclear (v9) [If you don't have Avast in control Panel just install it]
4. Download and install your version
5. Reboot.

You can insert license file during install or after reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 08:01:58 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the information, I could not uninstall the old software so just downloaded and installed direct, once installed logged into my account and updated definitions OK.

Thanks

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 08:58:05 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the information, I could not uninstall the old software so just downloaded and installed direct, once installed logged into my account and updated definitions OK.

Thanks

You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Stompem

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 09:28:14 PM »
This is a solution for power users only

Windows program manager seems to botch the repair routine this time around (Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit)

Then the usual fix is aswclear which removes the firewall application rules but I have found a solution that preserves these settings. (use this at your own risk please)

Avast will not let regedit (winsxs) delete the Avast registry keys but 3rd party software can. (oh yes)

You need a good uninstaller to snoop the Avast registry keys (WARNING! Do not proceed with a full uninstall) then simply delete all the registry keys but leave the application files in place then install the new Avast download - all done! You won't even have to insert the license as avast finds it in the "preserved" Avast application directory.

I had the exact same problem and I had to work this out because of the amount of programs I have rules for, which amount to over 200 - this is a fix only for those who wish to preserve these Application rules and it is not really for casual users but isn't totally out of reach for someone familiar with the windows registry.

PLEASE NOTE:
Using AWSCLEAR will rectify the errors for users who have no problems with finicky or suspect programs, you will just need to reinsert the avast license and reconnect the account.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 09:43:09 PM »
I wouldn't touch the registry as you suggest.
What you are saying is dangerous at best...disastrous at worst.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 09:52:44 PM »
Meh,

If it ain't broke...

Stompem

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 09:55:20 PM »
Read Power Users

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 09:59:58 PM »
Read Power Users

What do you mean by Power Users? The fact remains that messing with the registry is risky and it could result in a format being the only fix... rather safe than sorry.