Author Topic: Does Avast 8.x work with Windows 8.1?  (Read 2493 times)

Roley

Does Avast 8.x work with Windows 8.1?
« on: October 24, 2013, 07:59:11 AM »
Hello,

My laptop is pending an installation of the latest Windows OS update (8 to 8.1). I want to upgrade, but want to make sure if I can still use Avast! 8 with 8.1, such that it will work as functionally and as compatible as it did with Windows 8.0.x.

I am not planning to update to Avast 2014 any time soon, so please do not post this as a workaround (esp. when the latest version is giving rise to more erroneous results than praise, unfortunately).

Thanks.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Does Avast 8.x work with Windows 8.1?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 02:47:25 PM »
(esp. when the latest version is giving rise to more erroneous results than praise, unfortunately).
Unfortunately with the world being the way it is, if something works then no one says anything.. If it doesn't then al hell breaks loose.

I am currently running 2014 and windows 8.1 and everything works for me as advertised
When you upgrade to 8.1 it will remove Avast 8, you can try the last version of V8 that was changed to reflect the windows upgrade but you will need to get that from an old apps site 

Roley

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 05:28:23 PM »
Thanks for the reply essexboy.

I probably came off a bit rude, so let me explain what I mean: I would really like to upgrade to 8.1 and Avast Free 2014, but it's not that I believe it is dysfunctional, but rather that all of these forum posts by others and saying how avast "bricked" their system gives me the incentive to wait for a just little bit more until both Windows 8.1 and Avast! 2014 have been around for a while, such that any anomalies would be corrected out.

As of this moment, a lot of people are saying W8.1 and A2014 works just fine, while others are saying that hell has been unleashed on to their machine, so it's almost a 50/50 risk. That doesn't go without saying that I will eventually install both the OS update and the AV update, but I'll probably not take any chances at the moment and keep using W8 and Avast 8, only because my machine is quite crucial for university work.

Thanks for the help; I'll probably install both in the near future, but like I said, at the current moment, with the major build being relatively new, there is just a lot of uncertainty of what is the best thing to do.

One last thing -- is it recommended that I fully remove avast! from my system prior to installing Windows 8.1? As in, should I fire up control panel and remove the anti-virus, then install 8.1, and then later on install A2014? I feel like that half of the problems might be from the fact that they're letting the OS override certain things without properly cleaning out their registries or system files.

Thanks again, and good luck!
-R

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 07:37:25 PM »
Yes that would be the best bet as the upgrade kills Avast along with a few other programmes and apps
So a full removal prior to the upgrade or an upgrade to 2014 before upgrading windows :) either which