Author Topic: Avast still slowing/stopping my net connection.  (Read 12659 times)

Name User

Avast still slowing/stopping my net connection.
« on: May 26, 2005, 06:32:03 PM »
Hello, I'm fairly new here, and only posted once before on the same subject, at which time others had mentioned the same problem, and there was talk about a beta solving the problem.

The beta did not solve the problem in all cases, but the next program update seemed to. Now I have noticed that the problem is reoccurring quite often, and it seems to be overcome by rebooting after each definition update. This is annoying to have to restart the system right after turning it on, which is usually when the updates occur.

If I try to manually update the program, even though I have it set to update itself, it also works, but it can hang for a long time without being able to connect, so the reboot seems to be quicker sometimes.

I've been using a cookie cleaner called CCleaner, and that may be part of the problem, as it not only cleans out all the cookies, it cleans the index file that is always there (Client UrlCache MMF Ver 5.2). This I do because of the spam that can get through via the ContentIE5.

This program, however, has the capability of being set to retain cookies that are wanted to remain, so if this is the problem, I think it can be corrected if someone can tell me what the exact cookie description for Avast looks like.

I am using the latest free version of Avast, and I've looked for any cookies with Avast in the name, and cannot find any.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 06:34:07 PM by Name User »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Avast still slowing/stopping my net connection.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 07:47:11 PM »
Could you let us know what your OS and firewall are as without those we'll just be shooting in the dark

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 09:47:20 PM »
avast! anti-virus doesn't use cookies.

I would also suggest you give the firefox browser a try.

when you say that 'Avast still slowing/stopping my net connection' can you be more specific. If a connection was stopped what was the error/message displayed?
If things were slowed, what were you doing and were there any messages?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Name User

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 02:30:43 AM »
Essex, I use XP Home and Zone Alarm free.

David, no error message, I just often times get Page Cannot Be Displayed when trying to log on to Explorer, but every time I click to update the Avast program (not definitions, program), if I wait and wait until the def stamp downloads, or reboot, it always allows me to then connect right away. So maybe if it is not a cookie issue, it's this def stamp that is perhaps wiped out by CCleaner.

I have downloaded Firefox as well, and generally don't have this problem like I do with Explorer, but Firefox in some ways is worse on the net, so I use both.

The reason I thought CCleaner and cookies to be the problem, is that the Firefox, which does not use an index like Explorer's Client UrlCache MMF Vers 5.1, does not hang like Explorer does, so I assumed it was the cleaning of this index file that caused it.

Many say this index file is a big part of the reason Explorer is so vulnerable to spam though, which is why I wanted to try CCleaner, it was the only method mentioned in my search of how to empty the index file that did not involve a lengthy procedure, it's very quick and thorough.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 02:36:34 AM by Name User »

MFB

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 02:37:43 AM »
Deleting cookies and temp files is one way to boost your internet speed, not cause problems.  Of course you will be log off from forums and emails automatically if you clean out your temp files.  Make sure you allow IE to have access to the internet.  Can you give us a Hijack log?  If you don't have hijackthis heres the link to dowload it:

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 03:07:17 AM »
This is annoying to have to restart the system right after turning it on, which is usually when the updates occur.
Operating system restart needed by avast message could be solved, in some systems, by deleting the file <avast>\setup\reboot.txt
Sorry if you already receive this answer  :-[
The best things in life are free.

Name User

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 05:52:54 AM »
Fixer, I realize deleting cookies/Temp Files speeds things up, rather than slows them down, provided you save the ones you need to avoid reregistering on certain sites you frequent and such. No I do not have Highjack, never heard of it, but before DLing it, I'd like to know exactly what it is, I don't like to DL anything more than I need, as it often causes me to later uninstall.

Tech, I've traced the path you mentioned, and only found the reboot.txt via Avast4>Setup>setup(text document), and these two lines were found with an Edit>Find search...

Software\Avast4\Setup\reboot.txt,)

22:49:39 vrb/fil  MoveFileEx(C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\Setup\reboot.txt, NULL)

...are one or both of these what you're referring to? If so, do I only delete the reboot.txt part, and on both lines, or just one?

Normally, I would not want to try such a thing, but I will merely backup the entire setup text document first, that way I should be able to go back to the default config no problem, if something goes wrong.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 04:19:03 PM »
Tech, I've traced the path you mentioned, and only found the reboot.txt via Avast4>Setup>setup(text document), and these two lines were found with an Edit>Find search...

Software\Avast4\Setup\reboot.txt,)

22:49:39 vrb/fil  MoveFileEx(C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\Setup\reboot.txt, NULL)

...are one or both of these what you're referring to? If so, do I only delete the reboot.txt part, and on both lines, or just one?
No, delete the file itself... and reboot, after that, try to update again. For any reason, the program does not delete the file and keeps asking for boot after the update...  ::)
The best things in life are free.

BanziBaby

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 04:47:26 PM »
CCcleaner also clears out the temp folders if U ask it too.

Im wondering, U say it's slowing down Ur net, have U got a folder called _avast_ in Ur windows temp folder & in C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\Local Settings\Temp ?

I think if those folders which might be in use by webshield can slow down Ur net if they not there.

I seem to recall there were similar posts when folk had deleted those folders.

HTH

BaNzI ;D

Name User

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005, 09:55:12 PM »
First of all, let me say thanks for all the help you guys have offered. :)

Tech, If you're saying the program is asking for a reboot after each virus definition update, no, that is not the case, but should both these files be deleted anyway, you say file, not files?

Banzi, I see the Avast folder in Windows>Temp, but not in the other location (C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\Local Settings\Temp).

I checked the settings on CCleaner, and found that I had left "Temporary Internet Files" and "Only delete files in Wndows temp folders older than 48 hours" checked.

I don't why they would have the one reguarding Windows Temp folders checked by default, if some programs need to use that folder to connect to the net, do you think I should uncheck that box?

I don't know if updating the Avast prog will restore that Wndows Temp folder, I may have to reinstall Avast maybe?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 10:10:34 PM by Name User »

BanziBaby

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 01:44:25 AM »
Hi Name User.

I think a uninstall & reinstall might help here, i would uninstall from the control panel then run the avast uninstall tool from http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear.exe

When installing either untick the net shield provider or after install terminate it & see if everything is ok.

I remember reading on here somewhere that those _avast _folders are best left there for normal operation, avast also uses JETxxx.tmp files for it's database.

HTH

BaNzI ;D

MFB

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2005, 03:30:14 AM »
Fixer, I realize deleting cookies/Temp Files speeds things up, rather than slows them down, provided you save the ones you need to avoid reregistering on certain sites you frequent and such. No I do not have Highjack, never heard of it, but before DLing it, I'd like to know exactly what it is, I don't like to DL anything more than I need, as it often causes me to later uninstall.

HijackThis examines certain key areas of the Registry and Hard Drive and lists their contents. These are areas which are used by both legitimate programmers and hijackers. Not ALL programs that HijackThis detect are bad, if you are wondering which program you should remove, ask the avast! members here or use the online scanner:

http://www.hijackthis.de/

Name User

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2005, 12:42:41 PM »
OK, I'll try reinstalling Avast.

DLed HijackThis, still waiting for an annalysis over at Tom Coyote forums.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2005, 12:59:26 PM »
Don't wait for an analysis when you can use an on-line automated analysis (as mentioned by Fixer above), then if you have any queries about the analysis you can ask here.

For an on-line analysis - HiJackThis Log file - On-line Analysis
Ignore any 023 reference to avast processes, this is a hiccup in the HJT 1.99.1 (especially missing file entry for avast), if you need any help with any of the analysis let us know.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MFB

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2005, 10:20:08 PM »
In other words, don't worry when you see this ;):

O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)

They are minor errors that Hijackthis didn't fix yet.  Don't worry, theres no file missing on either of them.