Author Topic: Avast still slowing/stopping my net connection.  (Read 12655 times)

Name User

Re: Avast still slowing/stopping my net connection.
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2005, 10:26:01 PM »
OK guys, I uninstalled Avast through Add and Remove as suggested, though there was no Avast uninstaller remaining to do anything further as stated.

I still do not see any Avast folder via C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\Local Settings\Temp, it's still only located in the Windows>Temp folder, but does have two jet files in there as well.

I also used the automated site you recommended for the HijackThis log David (thankd BTW, great site), and oddly enough the only red falgged warnings that said could be fixed, were the vast Web and Email scanners, which it actually said were not there as well, maybe because I'm still using the free version.

lastly, I still am getting no response as to whether both reboot.txt lines mentioned above should be deleted, I'd rather not do that until I get clarification on that.

Thanks again guys, you're help is much appreciated, I will delete the two flagged lines on the scan log, and after hearing back about the reboot.txt, will handle that as well. That should hopefully take care of it.

One other thing I forgot, my Hotmail account (free also), has been acting weird for some time now, reading the zipped version of clean files as viruses, and now there are error messages trying to even access my mail.

The Hotmail staff sent a general forum letter back to me saying they  are looking in to attachment problems, but I don't know if that or this new accessing problem can somehow slow down, or occaisionally stop my net connection.

HijackThis log:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 1:27:42 PM, on 5/28/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\MouseWare\system\em_exec.exe
C:\Program Files\Musicmatch\Musicmatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RevoTask.exe
C:\Program Files\HighCriteria\TotalRecorder\TotRecSched.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MUSICM~1\MUSICM~1\MMDiag.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.exe
C:\Program Files\Musicmatch\Musicmatch Jukebox\mim.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\Tim E. Machine\My Documents\My Downloads\Apps & Progs\HijackThis.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MimBoot] C:\PROGRA~1\MUSICM~1\MUSICM~1\mimboot.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] "C:\Program Files\Musicmatch\Musicmatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CDTrayPal] C:\Documents and Settings\Tim E. Machine\My Documents\My Downloads\Apps & Progs\CDTrayPal\cdtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RevoTaskbarApp] C:\WINDOWS\system32\RevoTask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TotalRecorderScheduler] "C:\Program Files\HighCriteria\TotalRecorder\TotRecSched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATICCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe" runtime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - Global Startup: ATI CATALYST System Tray.lnk = C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=36467&clcid=0x409
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://by18fd.bay18.hotmail.msn.com/resources/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1109751722312
O16 - DPF: {9B03C5F1-F5AB-47EE-937D-A8EDA626F876} (Anonymizer Anti-Spyware Scanner) - http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/promotions/spywaredetector/WebAAS.cab
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

ARGGGH!,....I can't post the automated annalysis, it's too many characters for the forum's capacity. :-\, but the above bold and underlined are the only red flagged items.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 10:36:10 PM by Name User »

Name User

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2005, 10:53:14 PM »
Ignore any 023 reference to avast processes, this is a hiccup in the HJT 1.99.1 (especially missing file entry for avast), if you need any help with any of the analysis let us know.

Well I tried to post the annalysis results, but it's too big a file for the forum to handle.

Basically, the only marked items besides the ones you said to ignore are a few programs I use marked with a (?) for unknown.

Ironic how they say they are unknown, but they can tell you exactly what functions of that program you will lose if you delete that particular line.

The programs are:

Musicmatch Jukebox................(online music streaming service)
Total Recorder Scheduler...........(scheduling function for an audio recording program I use)
CD TrayPal...........................(CD tray eject/close, and timer auto tray shut program)
Revo Task............................(part of my sound card's control panel for setting speaker adjustments)

So, I don't see anything in the entire log that should be deleted. I can only say that the CD TrayPal is not working lately, so it doesn't get used. I tried reinstalling it, but it didn't seem to help. It used to put it's icon in the taskbar upon startup, but it doesn't do that anymore. I did disable it's startup option at one time, but have since then enabled it, but it still doesn't load the icon in the taskbar on startup anymore.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 10:56:33 PM by Name User »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2005, 12:27:05 AM »
1. You don't need to post the complete analysis results only the parts you are unsure of, you can copy the bit from your HJT log (or highlight, etc, as you have done) and what the on-line analysis says to do, etc.

2. Before doing this you should use google to get information about the Unknown items reported in the on-line analysis (if you don't know what they are).

3. The items you listed Musicmatch Jukebox, etc. did you purposely install them? - doing a google search should bring up any untoward reports of it being adware or spyware, etc. Using this information you can make a decision on what to do, ignore (if legitimate) or fix. But only you can really make that decision based on what you installed on your system.

So if you feel that everything is legit, no problem, the on-line analyser wont know about every program or its use.

The idea of this exercise is to get you to understand what is on your system using HJT, the on-line analyser and google those you aren't sure about, that way if you do have this problem again, you have the tools and knowledge to resolve it, or go some way towards it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Name User

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2005, 10:18:43 AM »
Sorry, I guess I didn't explain, those 4 programs are ones I installed and use regularly.

iI would appear I still have not discovered why I can't always get on the net, or my connect time is very slow. I can always connect right away after getting the def stamp to load using the program update on Avast.

It seemed to start when I began using CCleaner, yet I'm told Avast does not use cookies. This has got me stumped still really. ???

Umath

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2005, 11:17:59 AM »
It seemed to start when I began using CCleaner, yet I'm told Avast does not use cookies. This has got me stumped still really. ???

I'm another user of both CCleaner and Avast but I haven't experienced the problem you describe.  Just as additional info but CCleaner or Crap Cleaner is not only deal with cookies but also other "craps" ranging from unnecessary registry, temporary files to tray notification cache.  Since it deals with lot of things, it is possible that it affected your system.  I and many others seem to be quite happy with the app, though.  In fact, I began to use CCleaner when I noticed that no reviewers at Cnet complained that it had deleted important files, which is rare for this type of app.  Then again, it is also true that CCleaner deals with sensitive content.

If you are using CCleaner with default setting, you must have registry backups.  Click on CCLeaneryeardatehourminuite.reg file with the timestamp when you think the system became slower in CCleaner folder, which might help.

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2005, 11:35:39 AM »
I'm told Avast does not use cookies. This has got me stumped still really. ???

Avast Anti-virus the program as such does not use cookies  the Forum for this site does however set cookies

used to recognize the forum users hence the option to tick remember me!! when you login. Firefox has a 

excellent extention by the name of Cookie Culler which allows you to view and keep (protect) cookies you

want to keep like the cookies to this forum. The really only dangerous cookie I know of are tracking cookies

which are normally detected by programs like Spybot and Adaware giving you the option to delete
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

Name User

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2005, 09:28:34 PM »
I don't think this has to do with making registry back ups, or anything but Avast's annoying tendency to not be keeping itself def stamped. Every time I click the program update on it, and it loads the def stamp, the problem is corrected.

This is getting very annoying, and I'm considering another antivirus or none at all. Quite often I can never predict when my connection is going to get lost, and have wasted hours trying to unsuccessfully send files and such.

I don't know how many times I have to say this, the subject came up before with others as mentioned, and a beta was released to try and correct the problem. Obviously they never corrected it, I am uninstalling Avast!!! >:(
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 09:30:40 PM by Name User »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2005, 09:44:20 PM »
Baby and bath water come to mind, you are seriously going to throw the towel in over this, but taht is your choice. I hope you are happy with your next AV.

The patch and subsequent update obviously did resolve the issue for many, otherwise this topic would be very hot, rather than a rare problem.

The reason the def stamp is downlloaded is to ensure an even server load to make updates quicker for users.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Name User

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2005, 09:20:54 AM »
I'm not arguing why the def stamp is needed David, I'm saying you shouldn't have to click the program update every time you're about to get on the net, and sit there and wait for the dang thing to download.

How many people would seriously put up with that?

Beautiful avatar by the way, it reminds me of the parasailers we have where I live.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 09:23:10 AM by Name User »

Name User

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2005, 03:19:46 AM »
Apparently nobody has an answer for this. As I said, I see why the def stamp is needed, but why do I constantly have to click the program update and manually get it to download?

I'd go back to using AVG in a heartbeat if it caught viruses as well, this is very annoying. :-\

Name User

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2005, 10:02:00 AM »
Well I guess AVG is my only option other than constantly babysitting Avast's little annoying quirks, especially since nobody here recognizes that it's still a problem or offers any solutions.

I've read that AVG has expanded their virus definition database to include quite a bit more than they used to, so it may be just as good if not better now anyway. At least I never had any of these kind of problems with it when I used it before.

Adios Avastaholics! ::)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2005, 01:50:44 PM »
Name User, were you using avast! and AVG at the same time in the same computer?
The best things in life are free.

Name User

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2005, 06:48:10 PM »
No Tech, and I also answered no to that question on the other thread. I may sound like a complete idiot to some, concerning PC stuff, but that's one thing I definitely know NOT to do.

I went back into regedit after emailing all the keys David wanted me to send and posting them here, and did an Edit>Find>Avast search, kept hitting F3 until I got to the last one, deleted it, and then no more keys showed up with any of the searches.

I have no clue why it worked like that, but I decided to go ahead and DL AVG again, update it, run a scan, and no viruses (which I never thought was the problem in the first place).

Thanks for your help Tech, it was probably your advice about going to the bottom of the tree first that did  it. I still think Avast is probably a more thorough program, and maybe even less resource hungry, but I couldn't live with the constant def stamp loading by clicking the program update to get on and stay on the net.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2005, 07:17:58 PM »
Thanks for your help Tech, it was probably your advice about going to the bottom of the tree first that did  it.
I wish I came before and try to solve the problem but not this way, uninstalling avast.
At least, now you know you could find, at least, support and friendship here.
I used AVG from almost one year. I have no doubt avast!, for me, is far superior  :)
The best things in life are free.

Name User

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2005, 05:20:06 AM »
At least, now you know you could find, at least, support and friendship here.
I used AVG from almost one year. I have no doubt avast!, for me, is far superior  :)

Yes, you are right on both quoted remarks. Despite my rather colorfull demonstration of angst and frustration, you guys have really hung in there and stuck with me, and I thank you for that.

I really wanted Avast to work out for me, and felt too right when I started using it, that the security was better than AVG, but it was taking way too much time waiting for the def stamp loading.

I'll probably stay posted to see if there are any developments in the way of the program/def stamp updating and/or the removal tool. It may be only a matter of time before I get upset enough with AVG to want to replace it. last time it was due to something Avast detected right away, that AVG had not seen, but I don't recall what it was.

It seems to me some antivirus programs don't read certain things as viruses though, and in my experiences they're usually the kind of things that are in temp folders and don't show up at all after a reboot. Some might call them phantom viruses, or bits of data that share similar code, I really don't understand it in depth.