Author Topic: "instup.exe has encountered a problem..." - Install Attempt Avast Free 9.0.2006  (Read 10270 times)

pogo5

I used the latest Avast Antivirus Removal Tool (File version: 9.0.2006.159) in Safe Mode of Windows XP Pro SP3 (x86) to remove Avast Free 8.0.1497 in preparation of a clean install.

Downloaded avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe (83 MB) to the desktop, and double-clicked the the full installation file of Avast Free 9.0.2006 on the desktop.

On the monitor I see the avast! installation image with the animated circle, but after a few minutes I receive the following window:

instup.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for this inconvenience.  If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.

Please tell Microsoft about this problem.

We have created an error report that you can send to us.  We will treat this report as confidential and anonymous.

To see what data this error report contains. click here.

Send Error Report and Don't send buttons.

The specifications of the system is:

AMD K6-2 400 MHz 320 MB SDRAM
Windows Xp Pro SP3 (current with all critical updates installed)

I know this PC is ancient, but it ran Avast Free 8.0.1497 without problem.

Please advise.  Thanks!

doktornotor

AMD K6-2 400 MHz 320 MB SDRAM
Windows Xp Pro SP3 (current with all critical updates installed)

I know this PC is ancient, but it ran Avast Free 8.0.1497 without problem.

The beta required SSE2 support, won't ever work on a CPU like this.

pogo5

Thanks for the reply!  I guess it's time to try to find another anti-virus program for this antique.  :)

doktornotor

Thanks for the reply!  I guess it's time to try to find another anti-virus program for this antique.  :)

Why? 8.0 is just fine, though frankly I wouldn't run any AV on this kind of HW.

Avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497

pogo5

Why? 8.0 is just fine, though frankly I wouldn't run any AV on this kind of HW.

Avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497

Listen here sonny, I still have an 8088 (12 MHz) Laser Turbo XT PC with 640 KB of RAM that still runs all the applications I need.   

Right..........

LOL.  These young whipper-snappers trying to teach this 60 years old man about PCs.  I believe they should bring back DOS.  Who needs these fancy Windows GUIs.  LOL.

:)    :)   :) 

Thanks for the link!

doktornotor

For similar HW, I'd stick with Sandboxie for browsing and any questionable stuff, and that'd be pretty much it... Anyway, whatever fits your bill.  :D

Arnold72

Is that you or the computer lol...... :o