Author Topic: Anti-spyware  (Read 8534 times)

joooo

Anti-spyware
« on: May 26, 2005, 08:32:42 PM »
When avast goes to find and to deletar spyware and other types of malicious archives?
 when avast goes to find and to remove riskware and spyware?  E already has set appointments some new version of avast for launching?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 03:51:43 PM by joooo »

niko

Re: Anti-spyware
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 11:29:23 PM »
Hi Joooo (only four "o"?)
I'm not sure to understand you ::)
Avast! isn't like AdAware or Spybot ;)
Avast! is an AV software and simply the best you can find 8)
Hope this can help you :)

MFB

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 12:43:23 AM »
Avast! can detect some spywares such as Adwares, but you'll need a antispyware to fully detect more spywares in your system.  I recommend getting a free antispyware such as Ad-aware SE and Spybot rather than buying one that cost 15 bucks. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 12:56:06 AM »
If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it.
1. Ad-Aware
2. Spybot Search and Destroy
3. Spywareblaster
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Spiritsongs

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2005, 07:52:45 AM »
 Not a good idea to "activate" SpywareBlaster UNLESS an anti-
 spyware program like Ad-aware SE and/or Spybot S & D
 shows you are clean of any "serious" spyware ( tracking
 cookies & Alexa do not count as serious spyware ). Once you
"enable" that program, you will NOT be able to remove any
 spyware on your computer covered by SpywareBlaster's
"coverage" that was on the computer PRIOR to the
"enabling".
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 08:10:16 AM by Spiritsongs »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2005, 09:36:29 AM »
Hi Spiritsongs,

Good advice, this is the classical anti-spyware solution. Almost standard, and I agree with you that SpywareBlaster is the crown, and cooperates with the other two, after they have shown the machine is ad-ware and spyware-free. This solution is as good as its updates, so this has to be done regularly. Automatically updating is easy, but I would advice against this if the hosts-file has been tampered with through malware, so you would be re-installing a corrupted hosts file. more on hosts file see the lovely site of richardthelionhearted. a lot of people also use merijn's HijackThis (a dutch proggie), startup viewers like StartDreck. For those who know how to tweak their register, and get their information from the net, use this fine little quick spyware scanner: Bazooka. You can find it at:
http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html  It has an exclusion list though, read this. For instance it won't save you from Britney's screensaver. Update it and use it. It only scans and tell you where to go for solutions. So it is only a scanner "an sich"(as such). Be very careful what anti-spyware you use, there is an enormous amount of malware, and right out scumware that poses as genuine anti-spyware program, cleaning spyware out on the one hand, and dealing it out again with the other. You will find yourselves between Scylla and Charybdis.  Check at spywareguide.com. I would use: Bazooka, Ad-Aware, Spybot Search & Destroy, SpywareBlaster (there is a new version out), HijackThis, StartDreck, FileAlyzer, RegEdit, and a good forum like ours, and of course last but not least scan all these files with AVAST. We cannot repeat that too often,

I wish you an ad ware free day,

polonus

« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 09:39:15 AM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Komm

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2005, 10:25:45 AM »
Not a good idea to "activate" SpywareBlaster UNLESS an anti-
spyware program like Ad-aware SE and/or Spybot S & D
shows you are clean of any "serious" spyware ( tracking
cookies & Alexa do not count as serious spyware ). Once you
"enable" that program, you will NOT be able to remove any
spyware on your computer covered by SpywareBlaster's
"coverage" that was on the computer PRIOR to the
"enabling".

Spywareblaster isn´t memory resident.  For me, means that it won´t interfere during other antispywares work. 

I never had trouble with spyware removal using the simple (but efficient) system protection of Spywareblaster.  In fact, i have used with it several antispywares without no issues.  

Remembering that inside Spybot S&D exists a link to run Spywareblaster if it was previously installed on computer!  :)

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2005, 11:54:53 AM »
Hi polonus the URL you supplied seems to be a no go-a or  is it just me ??

Not Found

The requested URL /spywarescanner/index.html  was not found on this server.

Sorry I could not get the link to work however it is probably me!!

Bazooka™ Adware and Spyware Scanner
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 12:04:41 PM by P3t3rb0nn »
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

Spiritsongs

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2005, 09:15:51 PM »
The most reliable site I have found on the creditably of
anti-spyware products is :
www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm . The
"author" of this site is the "author" of IE-Spyad program.
For Komm : when the Ad-aware/Lavasoft Support forums were
functioning, I saw at least 1 Lavaxpert advise disabling
SpywareBlaster PRIOR to using Ad-aware to remove spyware.
And for "overlapping" protection "situation" with Spybot,
SpywareBlaster and/or SpywareGuard on the same computer,
see the tutorial at :
www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial43.html .

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 09:58:58 PM »
SpywareBlaster doesn't run so can't be disabled, it applies its updates (detections/dialers/websites, etc.) directly to your browser.

Yes SpywareGuard is a resident scanner and could be disabled.

There is no mention at all in the tutorial of SpywareBlaster only SpywareGuard (which is resident) and that is only if you are going to use the S&D TeaTimer function of Spybot S&D as they are both similar so they are recommending you use only one resident.

NOTE: If you install TeaTimer and have another program that does a similar task, like SpywareGuard, they will both work, but you will get notifications from both of the programs. If you do not want double notifications, and you choose to use Spybot - S&D's TeaTimer, make sure you uninstall any other program that will do a similar task.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MFB

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 10:01:32 PM »
Disable Spywareblaster?  You mean removing the protection?  I don't understand why we should remove the protection just to run Ad-aware, can you give us more details about it?

NOTE: If you install TeaTimer and have another program that does a similar task, like SpywareGuard, they will both work, but you will get notifications from both of the programs. If you do not want double notifications, and you choose to use Spybot - S&D's TeaTimer, make sure you uninstall any other program that will do a similar task.

I have Winpatrol, since I don't use Teatimer.   ;)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 10:03:20 PM by FIXER »

Komm

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2005, 02:03:35 AM »
Spiritsongs, Spywareblaster and SpywareGuard are 2 different programs and acts of different ways.  You are confusing people about these produtcs.   ???

I think you talked about SpywareGuard, which stay resident in memory, and could be "disabled".  In this case, i agree with you.  But in case of Spywareblaster, my advise is to close all Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox windows before use of any antispyware and, for more proper disinfections, do it in Security Mode. Actually I don´t see why "disable" Spywareblaster protection to make it.

To clarify things i put below the only references that i found to Spywareblaster in the link that you posted:

Though Spybot - S&D has a robust immunization process, it is advised that you use SpywareBlaster for this process instead. SpywareBlaster provides a much greater deal of control over immunization and is updated frequently with new sites and malware. If you have SpywareBlaster installed, Spybot - S&D will notify you that using SpywareBlaster will provide greater control.

We have created a tutorial on how to use SpywareBlaster that can be found here: Using SpywareBlaster to protect your web browser

This means only one: Use Spywareblaster.  8)

Spiritsongs

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2005, 10:09:56 AM »
On SpywareBlaster's "Protection" screen, it has an option
under "Quick Tasks" that says "Disable All Protection"; after
their recent version change, I saw knowledgeable people
recommend "disabling the program" PRIOR to uninstalling it &
before installing the latest version. I never said to disable
SpywareBlaster just to run an Ad-aware scan, but that 1
Lavaxpert recommended disabling SpywareBlaster PRIOR to
having Ad-aware "quarantine/remove" items it found. Perhaps
the former Administator of the Lavasoft Support forums
( Corrine ), who can be found at http://castlecops.com/
forum142.html , can tell you why the Sweden-based
Lavaxpert made this recommendation at various times !?
Probably this is the surest & safest method of getting rid of
malware using the Ad-aware program !?
Perhaps this Lavaxpert was following the info at :
http://russelltexas.com/malware/teatimer.htm and included
SpywareBlaster as a "other protection programs" !?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2005, 04:54:51 PM by Spiritsongs »

Komm

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2005, 04:26:08 AM »
Perhaps this Lavaxpert was following the info at :
http://russelltexas.com/malware/teatimer.htm and included
SpywareBlaster as a "other protection programs" !?

Again, no reference to SpywareBlaster... only to programs witch have resident modules.  ???

can tell you why the Sweden-based
Lavaxpert made this recommendation at various times !?

No, I can´t do it.  And i think they don´t too.  "Perhaps" they confused Spywareblaster with SpywareGuard (like you).  "Perhaps" first versions of Ad-aware doesn´t close browser windows BEFORE quarantine/remove hard spywares.  Who knows?  What we need is a real logic reason to disable SpywareBlaster protection before use of antispywares.  "Perhaps" you could more specific and bring us with valid links to that information...  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2005, 04:41:39 AM »
What we need is a real logic reason to disable SpywareBlaster protection before use of antispywares.
I see none... Well, if there is a reason I'll glad to learn as I've never disabled SpywareBlaster to run 'any' antipyware (scanning or cleanning)  8)
The best things in life are free.