Author Topic: Avast 2014 Incompatibility with third-party software  (Read 11153 times)

psikofunkster

Avast 2014 Incompatibility with third-party software
« on: October 24, 2013, 11:15:13 PM »
After upgrading avast or performing a clean install of avast internet security 2014:

1) Windvd Pro 11 doesnt appear on screen, you can click it and then nothing happens... that made me to uninstall it and to use power dvd 13
2) When trying to convert a video using ImToo video converter ultimate,  windows crashed and it was telling me it was gonna restart and then restarted.

Windows 7 errors:

1) windows 7 energy service crashing
2) Windows 7: WMI Event ID 10 "//./root/CIMV2

I was pissed off cause it take me hours to find the culprit i've never suspect about avast 2014, i reinstall my video drivers, i run scripts to fix Windows 7 and i was on the verge (again) to reinstall all windows 7 ultimate 64 bits when suddenly i though maybe was the new avast version.....i uninstalled it and everthing went back to normal.

However i run this script in order to try to fix my "issue":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950375

It didnt fix it, until i uninstalled avast 2014. Now im afraid my pc won't be stable anymore.

As i said this is the fourth serious issue i've had with avast, first the buggy virus definitions of last year..... now this.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

psikofunkster

Re: Avast 2014 Incompatibility with third-party software
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 11:41:43 PM »
Hi Para-noid well thanks, but no solutions for both issues so far, imtoo video converter is far worst than the windvd 11 issue though, in combination with avast IS2014 makes windows 7 restart each time i press convert.

psikofunkster

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 03:54:32 AM »
Are these errors fixed in AVAST 2014 Program update (9.0.2007)?

this error 7 energy service crashing...... im not 100% sure but all the time i used version 29.0.2006, when i performed  a cold boot the next day voila my bios showing a beautiful CPU error each day......

I reinstalled windows 7 but i also reset my cmos, installed avast 8 and the error now is gone....... don't know if it was related with avast 9 and the energy service crashing but if it was....what a pain in the crutch Avast!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 04:02:48 AM by psikofunkster »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 01:52:40 PM »
A fix for that has been released http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=138753.0

psikofunkster

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 02:59:15 AM »
A fix for that has been released http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=138753.0

Thanks for your kindly answer, however i think im gonna wait for the next build, i still see many people complaining about issues.

psikofunkster

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 01:18:01 AM »
Everything is fine with AVAST 2014 Program update (9.0.2008)?   i don't want to mess with my system again.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 01:21:17 AM by psikofunkster »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 03:26:35 PM »
Everything is fine with AVAST 2014 Program update (9.0.2008)?   i don't want to mess with my system again.
Which problem did you have before? Which one are you afraid of?
The best things in life are free.

psikofunkster

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 02:44:31 AM »
Which problem did you have before? Which one are you afraid of?

Well, the two above + one pretty nasty the next day when i was turning on my pc during posting voilá CPU fan error....only ther first boot of the day. I suspected a LOT of Avast messing with windows power managment issues, i reinstalled windows, installed avast 8 and problem disappeared i dont want to go back to the same thing.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 11:47:02 AM »
Well, the two above + one pretty nasty the next day when i was turning on my pc during posting voilá CPU fan error....only ther first boot of the day. I suspected a LOT of Avast messing with windows power managment issues.
I never heard avast!, an antivirus, change anything on Windows Power Management... I suspect a LOT that this is not the case...

Offline Gandalf1369

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 02:17:07 PM »
Well, the two above + one pretty nasty the next day when i was turning on my pc during posting voilá CPU fan error....only ther first boot of the day. I suspected a LOT of Avast messing with windows power managment issues.
I never heard avast!, an antivirus, change anything on Windows Power Management... I suspect a LOT that this is not the case...

See this thread: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=138598.0
Windows 10 (64bit); 8GB RAM; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro; avast Free (latest version)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 07:09:59 PM »
And where there is an avast developer acknowledging that avast! is changing Windows power management.
Don't take me wrong, I do not know for sure as I'm not a developer, but I really doubt. If I'm wrong, I'll be glad to change my point of view.

psikofunkster

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 08:21:19 PM »
And where there is an avast developer acknowledging that avast! is changing Windows power management.
Don't take me wrong, I do not know for sure as I'm not a developer, but I really doubt. If I'm wrong, I'll be glad to change my point of view.

Well Tech thanks but this thread is not about trying to change your point of view.  There are issues with Avast messing with windows 7 energy service.

What i want to know is if that issue has been tackled.

Update: only want to add that my cpu fan error issue appeared today with avast 8 so....i guess its the cooler master fan the culprit and the cold weather....
However the 2 issues mentioned on my first post are apart from this. Hope they were solved gonna give a try to the new avast now.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 10:30:59 PM by psikofunkster »

psikofunkster

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 12:24:50 AM »
What a crappy beta software do you have Avast, now iTunes doesn't start when i plug in + a lovely infection from nowehere after installing your brand new 2014 version.

Also before installing avast 2014 i uninstalled avast 8, run cc cleaner, restarted, after installing avast 2014 it never asked me for a reboot, windows 7 64 bits ultimate.

I was clean with avast 8 and no issues with it. Only 70 days left of subscription thanks God....gonna give a second try to kaspersky or avg. In the meantime im uninstalling avast 2014 again and reinstalling avast 8 FGS
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 12:27:49 AM by psikofunkster »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 01:30:39 AM »
That file in your screenshot is in the _avast_ temp folder, this folder is used by avast to unpack archives and also send files to be scanned, notice the unp9999999.tmp file name (this isn't the original file but a copy for scanning). On successful completion of the scan that temp folder should be cleared out.

So this really isn't a new infection, but a remnant in the _avast_ temp folder. Why did these temporary files remain in the temp _avast_ folder when they should have been cleared after the completion of a scan.

The most common reason for this is having another security application installed as this temporary file is created in the temp folder the other security application could lock it so it can scan it. This could prevent avast from scanning the file and subsequently alerting or clearing it out of that temp location.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security