Author Topic: Java being blocked by Avast with no messages  (Read 2921 times)

bessdt0

Java being blocked by Avast with no messages
« on: October 25, 2013, 05:14:41 PM »
This is not related to insecure java applets and not related to IPv6.  I am using IPv4 and am unable to launch new java applets when Avast is running.  I have up to date Java (7 update 45) and Avast Internet Security 2014.9.0.2006 and Windows 8.1.

I cannot even use java.com's verification applet so I know it isn't because the applet is insecure.  The only way around it is to disable avast, which I should not have to do.  I am becoming very concerned because I've used Avast for 6 years and haven't had a single problem until this past year where I have had about 5 different issues.  What is going on with your program?

doktornotor

Re: Java being blocked by Avast with no messages
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 05:17:31 PM »
Please search the forum, and verify you have ashWebSv.dll version 9.0.2006.160 and not 9.0.2006.159 in place.

bessdt0

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 05:20:27 PM »
I saw that but it said it was an issue with IPv6, my ISP does not even have IPv6 yet.  Also, if this is a big issue, then why is there not an actual update out?

I'm not even sure how to check the version of the DLL.  For a paid service, I shouldn't have to do extra work to get basic functionality.

doktornotor

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 05:23:10 PM »
I'm not even sure how to check the version of the DLL.

Browse to it, right click - Properties - last tab (Details).

bessdt0

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 05:43:19 PM »
Well I have 159, I downloaded 160 and shut down the Avast antivirus service in services.msc but it won't let me delete, rename, or overwrite the dll file even with administrator privileges.  It says I need permission from the Administrators, which my account is an administrator..

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 05:47:10 PM »
While doing so... I think you need to disable Avast Self-Defence.

Avast>Settings>Troubleshooting>Self Defence Module.

Once you have done the .dll make sure you re-enable it.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

bessdt0

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 05:52:09 PM »
While doing so... I think you need to disable Avast Self-Defence.

Avast>Settings>Troubleshooting>Self Defence Module.

Once you have done the .dll make sure you re-enable it.

Won't let me disable it.  I uncheck the box and click OK, then when I go back into it, it is rechecked.  Still can't remove the DLL.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 05:54:43 PM »
Try disabling self defence, reboot PC and then try.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •