Author Topic: A.I.S. 2014 still blocks my home network  (Read 37564 times)

-André-

Re: A.I.S. 2014 still blocks my home network
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 08:34:04 PM »
Hi doktornotor,

Like I said before in this topic, I'm not an expert and I didn't touch anything while installing AVAST Internet Security.
The AVAST Firewall was installed by it selves.
I just tried to switch the A. Firewall OFF, it didn't work.

Grtz,  André.

doktornotor

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 08:36:17 PM »
Hi doktornotor,

Like I said before in this topic, I'm not an expert and I didn't touch anything while installing AVAST Internet Security.
The AVAST Firewall was installed by it selves.
I just tried to switch the A. Firewall OFF, it didn't work.

Grtz,  André.

Don't get me wrong... but - how about at least reading the description of the product you are installing?!?! http://www.avast.com/internet-security

Once again, install either Avast FREE or do NOT install the firewall component in AIS if you want to use Windows firewall.

-André-

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 08:44:25 PM »
I paid for 3 PC's and for 3 years AIS and still have 25 months to go.

And like I said before, I didn't install the Avast Firewall, it installed it selves, without any intervention of me.

Grtz,  André.

evita1

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 08:47:15 PM »
Andre,

Your posts make it sound like you have Windows Firewall AND Avast firewall installed at the same time.   If that's true, you can't have 2 software firewalls running at the same time.  You can only have 1.    :)

doktornotor

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 08:49:34 PM »
Uh oh... You are NOT supposed to mess with the disabled Windows Firewall. It is supposed to stay disabled. Why are you trying to enable it? You will NOT fix your networking problems by running two firewalls at the same time, the only thing you will achieve is creating even a bigger mess.

If you want to use the firewall provided by AIS, then you need to configure the firewall via the Avast GUI, not by going to Windows control panel and messing with the disabled ("blocked") Windows Firewall. If the product is way over your head, stick with a simpler one (avast Free/avast PRO), or kindly read the documentation and get some basic grip of what you are doing and how's it supposed to work. Or use the custom install option and deselect the firewall component. Instead of blindly clicking on Yes/Next.

-André-

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 08:54:49 PM »
Evita,

I didn't touch anything.  I didn't install or activated/De-activated anything : no Windows Firewall and no Avast Firewall.

I let the install go on it selves.  I am not competent to do such things.

André.

doktornotor

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2013, 09:01:05 PM »

Lets try again to get the point through:

NOTHING to be done there. Will NOT help.

-André-

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2013, 09:03:22 PM »
Uh oh... You are NOT supposed to mess with the disabled Windows Firewall. It is supposed to stay disabled. Why are you trying to enable it? You will NOT fix your networking problems by running two firewalls at the same time, the only thing you will achieve is creating even a bigger mess.

If you want to use the firewall provided by AIS, then you need to configure the firewall via the Avast GUI, not by going to Windows control panel and messing with the disabled ("blocked") Windows Firewall. If the product is way over your head, stick with a simpler one (avast Free/avast PRO), or kindly read the documentation and get some basic grip of what you are doing and how's it supposed to work. Or use the custom install option and deselect the firewall component. Instead of blindly clicking on Yes/Next.

I tried to modify the Firewall after the upgrade to 2014.9. No way to change.  Before, I was completely satisfied.

On this new install, after De-install with avastclear, I didn't touch anything.  True!!

André.

doktornotor

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2013, 09:08:25 PM »
You configure AIS firewall in the AIS (Avast) GUI. NOT where you are looking, see picture above. Please, read some documentation. If unwilling, simply use a simpler product.

-André-

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2013, 09:09:51 PM »

Lets try again to get the point through:

NOTHING to be done there. Will NOT help.

The attachment was only posted to show that Windows Firewall is blocked, that's all.  I didn't touch or tied anything!!

doktornotor

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2013, 09:11:37 PM »
The attachment was only posted to show that Windows Firewall is blocked, that's all.  I didn't touch or tied anything!!

It's "blocked" by design. On purpose. Intentionally. This is NOT a bug.

-André-

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2013, 09:12:31 PM »
Don't even know what AIS (Avast) GUI means.

I only wanted to be protected, nothing more.

-André-

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2013, 09:14:40 PM »
Before the upgrade to 2014.9, I had a Home Network, not anymore now.

doktornotor

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2013, 09:18:19 PM »
Eh... Clearly, AIS is not for you.

- Uninstall AIS: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
- Download Avast FREE (http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe) or Avast PRO (http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_pro_antivirus_setup.exe)
- Install it
- Check whether Windows Firewall is enabled
- Move on.

Note: Not sure whether AIS license works for avast PRO. Maybe someone could arrange the licensing for you if it does not so that you can at least use the SafeZone feature.

Alternatively: get local help from someone computer-savvy. With "Don't even know what AIS (Avast) GUI means," debugging firewall issues is outright impossible.

-André-

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2013, 09:21:52 PM »
I bought AIS to be well protected.

Why shouldn't it be NOT for me?