Author Topic: Intrusive Green boxes  (Read 8398 times)

z8000783

Intrusive Green boxes
« on: October 25, 2013, 03:36:01 PM »
How do I switch these off (without turning off Avast browser support)?

For some reason they only appear on certain sites like stack overflow and Google.

Bearing in mind they convey no information other than a 'thumbs up' why are they so large?

Rohugh

Re: Intrusive Green boxes
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 03:48:33 PM »
They are only there for 4-5 seconds when you hover over the green tick but I have to agree they are not really needed.  I don't think they can be turned off without disabling theOnline security add-on.

z8000783

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 03:53:03 PM »
There are no 'green ticks' but But there are link all over the page. As I move my mouse around they are popping up all the time.

What is the point of designing a good looking/easy to use website and then have the that look destroyed by this?

I can't believe that these are not optional, surely.....

Rohugh

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 04:55:32 PM »
There are no 'green ticks' but But there are link all over the page. As I move my mouse around they are popping up all the time.

Green ticks (only when I hover over one do I get the "Green Box". -

z8000783

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 06:12:07 PM »
Green ticks (only when I hover over one do I get the "Green Box". -

Have a look here - Stackoverflow

FF has the add-in on my PC not IE.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 06:14:00 PM by z8000783 »

Rohugh

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 06:21:04 PM »
I use Firefox as well and I certainly see what you are saying.  Let's hope that Avast sort this out.

z8000783

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 06:23:51 PM »
Thanks for double checking, I thought I was going barmy.

I would be delighted to get an acknowledge fro Avast that this is the case and there's nothing we can do about it,  let a promise to sort it out.

Over to you Avast support.

z8000783

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 11:50:15 AM »
*** BUMP ***

doktornotor

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 12:14:29 PM »
*** BUMP ***

For what? Still not "fixed", obviously. More happy now that we stated the obvious? Don't hover over the ticks if it bothers you, or disable the browser extension. I frankly cannot see what is the issue here, let alone an urgent one requiring bumping.

z8000783

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 12:26:09 PM »
My question, which I have not had answered is about the status of this. If you had looked at the link I gave you will see the extent of the mess it creates on the page.

I wanted support, or someone knowledgeable to:

1 Confirm that what I am reproducing is correct. It could well be I am doing something silly and I would like to know if that is the case.

2 Tell me how I can turn this feature off. The software is very detailed and complex now and it is easy to miss options.

3 Tell me that this is indeed a fault and will be corrected with an option to switch off, at the next release, if that is the case.

4 Tell me that is is a non-optional feature that is part and parcel of the new avast product and if I don't like it tough luck.

That's all. It would take the support here less than a minute to respond I would think.

doktornotor

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 12:46:37 PM »
My question, which I have not had answered is about the status of this. If you had looked at the link I gave you will see the extent of the mess it creates on the page.

1 Confirm that what I am reproducing is correct. It could well be I am doing something silly and I would like to know if that is the case.

2 Tell me how I can turn this feature off. The software is very detailed and complex now and it is easy to miss options.

3 Tell me that this is indeed a fault and will be corrected with an option to switch off, at the next release, if that is the case.

4 Tell me that is is a non-optional feature that is part and parcel of the new avast product and if I don't like it tough luck.

That's all. It would take the support here less than a minute to respond I would think.

1/ I cannot see any mess on that page anywhere. And for that matter, nor can I see any ticks, or boxes, or whatever Avast-related there. Tested with IE and Chrome. Don't have FF installed.
2/ No such settings as far as I can tell. Then again, the normal behaviour is shown on the screenshot in this post. You get the ticks right to links on certain pages (such as search engines) and only when you hover that with your mouse cursor, you get your "intrusive" box.
3/ The only action I get from the browser extension on the Stack Overflow page is blocking a bunch of social/tracking junk./ So, all in all, if what you are reporting is that you get some green boxes without any interaction with the page, then it's most likely Firefox-specific cosmetic issue.
4/ The browser extension is entirely optional.

Finally, if you consider those "intrusive", check things like WOT, the hover infoboxes are whole lot more "intrusive".

If you want support to respond, that's what support tickets are for. There's no reply guaranteed anywhere on this forum, though Avast staff reads and responds quite often here. You need to consider, however, that this is a cosmetic browser specific issue worst case, so realistically extremely low priority for any development purposes.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 12:53:40 PM by doktornotor »

z8000783

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 12:58:13 PM »

1/ I cannot see any mess on that page anywhere. And for that matter, nor can I see any ticks, or boxes, or whatever Avast-related there. Tested with IE and Chrome. Don't have FF installed.

So you cannot see what I demonstrated on the screen shot I uploaded? There are many links on that page and the box appears on most of them, for 4/5 seconds and of course covering up what is underneath. Not a good viewing experience, as they say.

2/ No such settings as far as I can tell. Then again, the normal behaviour is shown on the screenshot in this post. You get the ticks on certain pages (such as search engines) and only when you hover that with your mouse cursor, you get your "intrusive" box.

As I showed in the screen shot, there are no ticks but there are intrusive boxes.

3/ So, all in all, if what you are reporting is that you get some green boxes without any interaction with the page, then it's most likely Firefox-specific cosmetic issue.

No, the boxes appear when you move the mouse over a link. When avast is affect to look of a site to this degree I would say that it is more than simply a cosmetic issue.

4/ The browser extension is entirely optional.
My question here is - if I remove the extension will I lose browser protection?

Thanks for your response, BTW.

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 12:59:33 PM »
It is safe to disable Avast! online security as an add-on from within firefox. The only protection disabled would be phishing protection, site ratings, re-direction to open safezone in pro, internet security, premier versions, and some privacy protections such as ad blocking, web analytics, typo squatting protection etc.

Full malware protection is provided with or without the add-on, based solely on web shield.

From what I see, it seems that stackoverflow webpage causes the add-on to bug out. However, other normal sites like avast home page does not cause this.

Edit: phishing protection is partly provided by web shield beside that available in the add-on.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 01:10:13 PM by AntiVirusASeT »

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 01:01:23 PM »
This bug is specific to firefox browser and mods of it like comodo ice dragon.

xsteveuk

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 01:11:19 PM »
I had a problem with it blocking ads that on some sites  - That I needed the ads to be visible
But found you can set to display by clicking on the icons and check each and set to green

I to have noticed the green boxes they just tell you if a site has a good reputation or a bad one
and can be clicked on to hide