Author Topic: Most likely NOT going to be using avast! in the future  (Read 9482 times)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Most likely NOT going to be using avast! in the future
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2013, 05:04:45 PM »
I rather have just avast check for updates then having all those separate updaters running (in the background).
They update at inconvenient times sometimes as well as not asking if you want to install the latest update or not.

And for your "problems"...
If you want to use a certain software, spend some time in learning about it.
How to use it, what options it offers you etc. etc.
Experience tells that most people want the pop-up about updates, but if you don't want it just disable the pop-up or disable the entire software updater.
How avast acts/reacts is all up to you (the user).
It comes with good default settings, but it lets you to customize things.

I doubt you have complained at Microsoft about the default background Windows installs, and that you have not set your own background.

doktornotor

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2013, 05:06:31 PM »
I rather have just avast check for updates then having all those separate updaters running (in the background).
They update at inconvenient times sometimes as well as not asking if you want to install the latest update or not.

Yeah, obviously running one updater instead of zillions of them is a whole lot better for most people. For the rest, the component is totally optional. Also, it covers things that do NOT have any updater of their own.

Carl Spackler

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 05:10:41 PM »
Regarding 2):  This it TERRIBLE software design.  Why introduce a "feature" like this, and then have the user dig around through your bloated UI to figure out how to turn it off.  Why wouldn't they just have the updater put up a dialog box ASKING if you want to turn that functionality on, rather than assuming that ever user wants it???

Isn't it exactly what the popup you mention was asking?

Nope.  It didn't just said that avast! was scanning outgoing email message.

Do you remember the wording of the message (so that I can try to look it up)? I'm not aware of any other messages related to e-mail scanning...
Also, do you use avast! in English, or some other language (in case there's a mistake in some translation)?
Thanks.

avast! in English.

Hang on a sec about the scanning message -- I'll try to get a screenshot.

Carl Spackler

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2013, 05:15:22 PM »
ROFL!

I'll bet you $100 you (or anyone else using a computer, frankly) haven't read the manuals for the VAST majority of ANY software on the system(s) you're running.  So, kindly GTFO.  K thanks, bye.   ::)

I do- seriously!  Send a PM for my PayPal account details to send the $100 to.   :D :D

Please provide a list of os and all other software on your system.  I will be drafting a test for you, to confirm your knowledge.  ;)

guestja

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2013, 05:18:38 PM »
Ok Carl - you came in here to rant about what?

I never heard that you were having any problems with the av not working properly. Everything that you mentioned can be totally resolved. So what really is your problem?

Threats have become much more complicated than they were in the past. The "simple" program you loved so much years ago probably wouldn't protect you from a script kiddie today - much less from yourself.

You have expressed your concerns, you have been shown how to resolve them, so why don't you don't you make the adjustments and continue you use this excellent program.

If you just need someone to rant at for some reason - isn't there a neighbor kid or something?

Carl Spackler

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2013, 05:19:14 PM »
Regarding 2):  This it TERRIBLE software design.  Why introduce a "feature" like this, and then have the user dig around through your bloated UI to figure out how to turn it off.  Why wouldn't they just have the updater put up a dialog box ASKING if you want to turn that functionality on, rather than assuming that ever user wants it???

Isn't it exactly what the popup you mention was asking?

Nope.  It didn't just said that avast! was scanning outgoing email message.

Do you remember the wording of the message (so that I can try to look it up)? I'm not aware of any other messages related to e-mail scanning...
Also, do you use avast! in English, or some other language (in case there's a mistake in some translation)?
Thanks.

Didn't see the message this time.  (I have not changed any settings in avast since my original post.)

doktornotor

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2013, 05:21:44 PM »
Didn't see the message this time.  (I have not changed any settings in avast since my original post.)

Yah... what an inexplicable accident. When asked for proof, you come with empty hands. On normal forums, similar trolls get banned.

Carl Spackler

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2013, 05:27:59 PM »

And for your "problems"...
If you want to use a certain software, spend some time in learning about it.
How to use it, what options it offers you etc. etc.
Experience tells that most people want the pop-up about updates, but if you don't want it just disable the pop-up or disable the entire software updater.
How avast acts/reacts is all up to you (the user).
It comes with good default settings, but it lets you to customize things.

I doubt you have complained at Microsoft about the default background Windows installs, and that you have not set your own background.

I can appreciate your point about having ONE updater, but it would be even more annoying to go around reconfiguring every other piece of software to shutdown its auto-updater.  I (obviously) lean the other way and let each piece of software talk to its own vendor for updates.  Six of one, half dozen of the other.

And, with all due respect to everybody here, I'm really NOT an idiot when it comes to computers/software -- I'm a programmer/sysadmin who has been working in IT for 15 years.  I mean, it's not like I'm installing and configuring an Exchange server, or apache, or something like that -- it's an antivirus application on a laptop, for f*ck sake.  I'm not running around trying to pick fights with people, I guess I'm just venting a bit. :-\

Carl Spackler

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2013, 05:36:00 PM »

Yah... what an inexplicable accident. When asked for proof, you come with empty hands. On normal forums, similar trolls get banned.

Look...  I emailed a pic as an attachment to a friend of mine, and the message popped up.  I have tried to replicate the problem THREE additional times, and it's not coming up (or, possibly, it comes up and disappears so fast that I don't see it).  I don't know what to say other than I'm not seeing it anymore.

And, kindly piss off with the "troll" talk.  Thanks.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2013, 05:40:38 PM »
Stop talking like a troll, start talking like the avast pirate ;D

Carl Spackler

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2013, 05:45:57 PM »
Stop talking like a troll, start talking like the avast pirate ;D

Aye, cap'n.  :D

doktornotor

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2013, 06:11:53 PM »
I'm really NOT an idiot when it comes to computers/software -- I'm a programmer/sysadmin who has been working in IT for 15 years.

> Hey guys, your GCC compiler sucks goats nuts... it fails to compile my code, plus floods me with incessant warnings and errors when I enable -Wall -Werror -Wpedantic...
>> ??!! Your code has tons of bugs, plus these warnings are by design with the compile options you are passing to the compiler! Have you considered reading the manual?
> I'll bet you $100 you (or anyone else using a computer, frankly) haven't read the manuals for the VAST majority of ANY software on the system(s) you're running.  So, kindly GTFO.  K thanks, bye.   ::)
>> You'd better read the manual before bugging us with completely invalid issues. Also, can you show us the errors you claim to be a bug in our product and provide more information about your system?
> No, I didn't see the error message this time. But it's been there for sure!
>> Dude, you sound like a troll.
> Kindly piss off with the "troll" talk. I'm really NOT an idiot when it comes to computers/software -- I'm a programmer/sysadmin who has been working in IT for 15 years.
>> *triple facepalm*, pressing the Ignore button meanwhile...

Outta this thread, what a waste of time...  ::) ::) ::)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2013, 07:46:37 PM »
ROFL!

I'll bet you $100 you (or anyone else using a computer, frankly) haven't read the manuals for the VAST majority of ANY software on the system(s) you're running.  So, kindly GTFO.  K thanks, bye.   ::)

I do- seriously!  Send a PM for my PayPal account details to send the $100 to.   :D :D

Well I too got it and I was surprised.

Why was I surprised, because I already had this option set in my avast.ini file, I already had that option, but here it was in the new program update asking me if I wanted to do just what I had setup in the avast.ini of avast 8.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tortoise

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2013, 08:49:08 PM »
Well thank you to the person who explained how to turn the ad message in emails off.  I, for one, didn't know where to look.  It wasn't altogether intuitive. 

The pop up message when I sent an email to an email list this morning came and went so quickly I didn't have time to read it but saw something about email scanning.  I have just turned the 'feature' off and back on again to see if the pop up would reappear but it didn't.  So I'll never know exactly what it said.

Sad to see many users here slagging off others who don't share their opinion but that's the internet for you.