Author Topic: Updated to the new version (2014), errors everywhere.  (Read 5505 times)

RMK01

Updated to the new version (2014), errors everywhere.
« on: October 26, 2013, 12:50:33 AM »
Everything was going fine until I saw the prompt to update to the newest version, which I did. Now the antivirus doesn't work, it's totally broken.
First of all, I cannot start protection. In the main page, on a ominous red backgroud it says that I'm not protected, and there is a button to start the service and "resolve everything", none of them does anything. Secondly, if I try to update virus definitions, it says the service is not active. If I try to manually start the service under services.msc, it gives an error number 1053. If I try to reset settings, it gives an error about some AAVM subsystem. If I try to start a scan, it gives an error about endpoint mappings.

I already tried:
1. rebooting
2. using the avast uninstaller in safe mode
3. using the repair tool
4. using malwarebytes and the online scanning tool from TrendMicro and they came up with nothing
5. doing a chkdsk, for good measure

The problems weren't fixed.

Please help. I kinda like Avast! compared to other AVs, but if the program is in this pitiful state of brokenness I will be forced to go back to Microsoft S.E.

OS is Win7 x64. Everything is up to date. Hardware is all recent.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Updated to the new version (2014), errors everywhere.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 12:53:31 AM »
The solution to your problem:

Use this installer:

Avast Free: http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_free_antivirus_setup_online.exe
Avast Pro: http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_pro_antivirus_setup_online.exe
Avast IS: http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_internet_security_setup_online.exe
Avast Premier: http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_premier_antivirus_setup_online.exe

And use this uninstaller:

http://rejzor.wordpress.com/avast-cleanup-tool/

If you are using a paid version make sure...

Once you have uninstalled Avast... check if Device Manager if there are any NDIS firewall avast drivers. If they are remove them and then reinstall.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

RMK01

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 12:57:05 AM »
Like I said, I already tried all of that.

I'm using the free version.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 01:11:04 AM »

This is a different installer and different uninstall utility.

This has worked in many cases where the official uninstaller and offline installer did not work.

This is an online installer too.

Try it..
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

AU4U

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 01:12:37 AM »
Mine's working fine,,,,sooo, cant help you,,,
Although,,,
Do a complete uninstall with the uninstaller,
Do a Reg clean of any avast! leftovers with CCleaner.
Do a role back far enough back fond in your recovery points.

Reinstall the program from the admin account.....?

I hope that helps, and, in the future, to do a PROGRAM UPDATE, uninstall with the uninstaller, install the new program then update the virus definitions.
I've been bitten 1 too many times with the avast! bug, and do this method for all my AV's, avast!, MBAM Pro and Online Armor Firewall.
Other than that,,,I'm really quite happy with avast!

RMK01

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 01:18:27 AM »

This is a different installer and different uninstall utility.

This has worked in many cases where the official uninstaller and offline installer did not work.

This is an online installer too.

Try it..

Tried the installer that downloads during install, tried the 90 or so Mb installer, tried uninstalling, cleaning, reinstalling, always get the error. I'd like to pinpoint the cause for this, I already wasted enough time doing things hoping for the best.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 01:22:16 AM »
I had the exact same issue as you but the method I used fixed it... Some other people had this issue and this resolution worked...

I'm out of ideas...

Are you using any other security related software (other than Avast)

You can revert back to Avast 8 but it'd be pointless since you'll eventually use Win 8.1...

I believe that there will be a new version of Avast next week and maybe that fixes the issues..
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 01:27:29 AM by Alikhan »

RMK01

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 01:38:00 AM »
Nope, tried everything, doesn't work for ****. I wasted 2 hours on this.

I'm going back to MSE. Maybe in at some point in the future I'll come back to Avast.

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 10:48:13 AM »
......., in the future, to do a PROGRAM UPDATE, uninstall with the uninstaller, install the new program then update the virus definitions.
Hi,

yes I think it's the best way but what about backup/restore setting (".avastconfig" files) , can we , without misgiving , restore v8 backup settings on v9 version by example ?

doktornotor

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 11:23:36 AM »
I don't think restoring settings from a totally broken install is the best idea around...  ::)

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 12:10:02 PM »
Thank you, so it's pretty boring to set again firewall rules , blocked site , scan settings , ... , all that at the beginning  :(
what it is advisable to make the best ?

« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 12:11:46 PM by chris05 »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 05:15:40 PM »
...what about backup/restore setting (".avastconfig" files) , can we , without misgiving , restore v8 backup settings on v9 version by example ?

Yes.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

RMK01

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 10:36:47 PM »
Tried installing again today, all went well. Weird.
Was the installer version updated?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 10:49:37 PM »
Was the installer version updated?

Yep.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0