Author Topic: windows 8.1 compatability problems  (Read 5407 times)

audit16

windows 8.1 compatability problems
« on: October 26, 2013, 01:51:25 AM »
hi guys, first post,

updated to the new version of avast on windows 8.1 64bit.  windows tells me there is compatibility problems, but have not seen anything about that in my forum search.  are there issues, and if so, solutions?

thanks,
jim

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: windows 8.1 compatability problems
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 02:12:02 AM »
What avast version are you using, avast 8.0 or 9.0 free/pro/ais/premier ?

Avast 9.0.2006 is meant to be win8 compatible, avast 8.0 has been reported to be removed when updating from win 8.0 to win 8.1, so I don't know if this might have something to do with the message you are getting.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

abu bilaal

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 11:29:32 AM »
I updated to Win 8.1 as well and my Avast Pro was removed. Is Avast compatible with Win 8.1? If not, when will this be resolved?

doktornotor

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 11:31:04 AM »
I updated to Win 8.1 as well and my Avast Pro was removed. Is Avast compatible with Win 8.1? If not, when will this be resolved?

Maybe read the thread before posting an already answered question?

abu bilaal

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 12:34:48 PM »
How is it answered? It says it's supposed to be compatible with Win8... supposed does not mean a fact but an assumption. The fact in my question is that update to Win8.1 has deleted Avast and says it is NOT COMPATIBLE. Since I have paid for Avast, I would a clear answer if it is compatible or not. I'm not looking for what it is supposed to be. It is or it is not compatible.

And even if it is answered and I have overlooked it, you might want to be more friendly to a customer. After all, a simple copy/paste of the answer I have overlooked would be sufficient.

doktornotor

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 12:36:36 PM »
After all, a simple copy/paste of the answer I have overlooked would be sufficient.

You are not my customer. I am a user. I am not going to waste time re-pasting answers if you cannot be bothered to read whopping TWO posts in a thread.  ::)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 12:43:02 PM »
http://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB89#artTitle   FAQ section   

Conditionsavast! Premier 2014avast! Internet Security 2014avast! Pro Antivirus 2014avast! Free Antivirus 2014Operating systems:Microsoft Windows 8.1 / Pro / EnterpriseMicrosoft Windows 8 / Pro / EnterpriseMicrosoft Windows 7 Home Basic / Home Premium / Professional / Enterprise / UltimateMicrosoft Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Enterprise / UltimateMicrosoft Windows XP Home / Professional / Media Center Edition 

AdrianH

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 01:43:54 PM »

Avast9 works perfectly well with Win8.1.

The issue of apps/programs being removed on update is a Windows problem.

I have had a few programs where this has happened, like the software for my HP all in one was removed, I tried to re install with the latest HP software and Windows prevents it, saying it is incompatible.

HP have written a special "wizard" which finds and installs the software for you on Win8/8.1.

Brawly51

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 05:17:17 PM »
With the issues that I have been experiencing, I am leaning towards incompatibility issues between Windows 8.1 and Avast Premier vs 9.0.2006.159 are still occurring.  I am basing this on a complete installation of Avast Premier, meaning every protection module installed.  It turns off Windows Firewall and replaces it with the Avast Firewall as well as install browser plugins which prevent site tracking and eliminates ads (Internet Explorer 11 indicates that the Avast plugin is not compatible).  All of these features in themselves I have no problem with.  Being an Avast user for many years, I trust that that the Avast protection modules are better than Windows.  Unfortunately, I am having issues where webpages fail to display properly, webpages take an excessive amount of time to load - or do not load at all.  The question becomes, how do I know that it is Avast and not something in the Windows OS, or interference from another program causing my issues?  The first thing I  did was to launch msconfig and turn off every application, but I still experienced issues with web browsing.  Secondly I completely uninstalled Avast Premier, rebooted and all of my problems disappeared - every one!  No jumbled webpages, no delay in loading, nothing.

I am of the belief that the issues could be resolved without having to uninstall Avast (I would prefer to have Avast, rather than use Windows Defender for example), and the answer may be in the Avast settings.  However I am not that familiar with the settings and their meanings to make the appropriate adjustments.  Can someone provide assistance to this issue.  My fear is, that unless Avast resolves these issues with an update to the program - preferably sooner rather than later, I may have to walk away from Avast... which would be doubly painful as I have the paid version!  Thank you!