Author Topic: does avast 4 pro work on xp x64 and how much memory does it use?  (Read 15153 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: does avast 4 pro work on xp x64 and how much memory does it use?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2005, 09:12:46 PM »
For scanning speed, the most important factor is if Archive scanning is enabled or disabled. Archive scanning can get very slow.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Gabe3

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2005, 11:52:28 PM »
hmm, it was really odd becuase I was watching what it was scanning everynow and then and it would do a file, then do some other files and then later I would see that its scanning that file again, will it tell me when its done right

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2005, 08:19:03 AM »
You can turn on generation of the scan report in the program settings (Report page). Click the "OK files" box to have logged all files.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Gabe3

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2005, 09:45:20 PM »
its been scaning for 6 hours now! why does it just keep doing the same files over and over again

looks like it might be time for a new av.........again :(

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2005, 09:47:41 PM »
Now stop your horses. Why changing Av again when you can actually help to solve the problem? Alwil guys usually listen to every user wish or compalin,so give them a try.
Report them which file keeps looping in the scan (or even send it to them),tell if it always happens on that file and so on.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Gabe3

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2005, 09:52:04 PM »
it actually just finished after I made that post, total size of scanned files is 143 megs, also, I tell it not to scan my floppy drive yet it still does, it scaned something else that I dident tell it to scan too

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2005, 09:54:49 PM »
Well it won't scan Floppy unless you set it to scan floppy (removable media).
It scans only what you set avast! to scan.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Gabe3

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2005, 10:24:54 PM »
I dident tell it to scan it, I left floppy drive unchecked, yet it said there is no media in the floppy drive, skip, scan or cancle I think something like that, I guss theres a bug or something

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2005, 10:56:20 PM »
I've seen a few similar reports and they actually revealed as a misunderstanding of the user interface. So, please tell us exactly how you run the scan, click by click from starting the program (I mean it), and also how exactly do you see that it's scanning the same file multiple times.

Gabe3

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2005, 11:23:44 PM »
in the simple user mode, i click the 3 buttons on the right side of the program, the bottom of the 3 is the last one I click and I click the check box of the things I want to scan, then I click ok button and I hit the play button, and then I noticed it was scanning my longhorn 5048 vmware machine file and it then scanned some other stuff and noticed it went back to scan the file again, thats just one example, it does it with any different files

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2005, 11:39:09 PM »
Well, that's it, exactly. May I ask why you click on (all) the three right-side buttons?
By clicking on all of them, you select the scanning of three areas - removable devices, all local hard disks, and selected area. So, avast! scans your diskette first (which isn't there), then scans your whole disk and then goes on with scanning whatever you selected in the "third button", so it really scans some folders twice.

There's no need to click the first two buttons if you want to select the exact area - use only the third one.