I have Windows XP x64. I can no longer get onto IE8 at all, not x32 or x64, because of avast. I immediately receive the BEX64 error message and I can only shut IE down by going into Task Manager and ending the task.
I've been working with EssexBoy but a resolution still hasn't been found.
When I uninstalled avast, I was able to get onto IE8. But I need an antivirus program running while on the net so what can I do? Wait until Avast fixes the problem . . . wait until when? Get another antivirus program . . . what's another really good one like Avast used to be?
These "solutions" DID NOT work for me:
1. Remove the Browser Protection via setup. (I can't get onto IE8 to remove the protection.)
2. Go into CCleaner GUI>Tools>Start-Up>Internet Explorer>right click each "Avast Online Security" entry select "disable"
3. Go into Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Avast > Change/Remove > Change > un-check Browser Protection
4. Start IE by right clicking the IE icon in your start menu and selecting Browse with add-ons turned off (this option is not available for XP x64)
5. Disable the avast add-ons in Internet Explorer 10 you right click on Internet Explorer launch. You will see there is an option to run Internet Explorer in a special mode called "In Private". (IE8 doesn't have this feature)
6. Replacing the new version with an old version. I can do this since I saved older versions but what about the new virus definitions that came with avast 2014? These new virus/trojans/malware can get through.
a recent VPS update
Where can this be found?
Any other fixes that anyone knows about? I don't want to be unprotected.