Author Topic: Avast 2014: Internet Explorer has stopped working  (Read 165381 times)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: Avast 2014: Internet Explorer has stopped working
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2013, 02:15:44 AM »
It would have been nice if you had answered the questions asked.
Without information, help is almost impossible.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Kurt_Aust

« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2013, 07:42:40 AM »

Who are you asking questions of?  You've asked questions of Patricia Neely-McCurdy but not of me.

In any case for your information the tests with IE6 & IE7 were performed on a brand new clean (no other applications) and fully updated VirtualBox install, while the IE8 tests were performed on my running system and a VirtualBox install.

And yes, IE6 x64 doesn't work either once Avast 2014 has been installed.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2013, 04:16:35 PM »

Who are you asking questions of?  You've asked questions of Patricia Neely-McCurdy but not of me.

In any case for your information the tests with IE6 & IE7 were performed on a brand new clean (no other applications) and fully updated VirtualBox install, while the IE8 tests were performed on my running system and a VirtualBox install.

And yes, IE6 x64 doesn't work either once Avast 2014 has been installed.
I personally wouldn't run anything that old, outdated and insecure on my system.
Your computer, your choice.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

the_doc

« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2013, 03:42:56 PM »
I personally wouldn't run anything that old, outdated and insecure on my system.

bob3160, your "help" is a misnomer as that multiple users on this thread have placed detailed information regarding Internet Explorer crashing with your "help" being to bash these users for using other versions of Internet Explorer.

Again, your assistance lacks insight and professionalism.

Understand, these crashes are as well indication that Avast 2014 hooks/access to the OS are not completely benign and other programs may have issues.

I don't know if this is possible, but as one that has started this thread I request that you "bob3160" do not post further replies unless it is of true support in nature - that being defined as assisting the users with resolution of their problems, with no interjection of personal opinions which the majority of your "compositions" have been composed thereof.

Thank you.

puter illit

« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2013, 05:18:59 PM »

bob3160, your "help" is a misnomer as that multiple users on this thread have placed detailed information regarding Internet Explorer crashing with your "help" being to bash these users for using other versions of Internet Explorer.

Again, your assistance lacks insight and professionalism

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) ;)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 05:21:26 PM by puter illit »

ram1220

« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2013, 10:04:32 PM »

Again, your assistance lacks insight and professionalism.

Understand, these crashes are as well indication that Avast 2014 hooks/access to the OS are not completely benign and other programs may have issues.

I don't know if this is possible, but as one that has started this thread I request that you "bob3160" do not post further replies unless it is of true support in nature - that being defined as assisting the users with resolution of their problems, with no interjection of personal opinions which the majority of your "compositions" have been composed thereof.

Thank you.

+1

Fangio

« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2013, 08:57:25 PM »
Had the same thing, IE10 worked fine, Avast updated to 2014 and killed it, would only run if the add on was disabled. Updated to IE11 and seems to be fine now, loaded Firefox as well, that worked ok. Un ticked the Chrome options when Avast updated & suddenly IE stops... hmmmm
Odd but IE loads pages faster than Firefox and runs quicker now. Worth a try if you can update to IE11, maybe IE is quick due to pc spec (dual quad core, 24Gb ram, SSD drives) but never found that much difference to Firefox.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 08:59:34 PM by Fangio »

Pickup

« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2013, 01:18:51 AM »
Many thanks to, and sympathy for, those kind people experiencing this specific issue and also for trying to keep the topic on track (despite the counter-productive posts).
I'm using IE8 and XP 64 here, and 44 days into the problem with little and quite unprofessional 'response' from Avast support.
In fact, there's not been one solitary suggestion from them in all that time.

(And incidentally, I'm not too impreseed that the 'minimum' support information package you have to send them contains, at least in my case, over 900 pages of confidential information. Heaven only knows how much the 'medium' and 'maximum' support information packages you could elect to send them would contain.)
I am in the software business myself and by a slim majority, most of our international clients use XP too - so that, apart from my personal preference for XP myself, is one reason for needing to use it (in addition to other windows varieties).
So, has anyone found a way forward yet? Or is the only real remedy to install a different security package?
Thank you kindly.

dprout69

« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2013, 01:28:05 AM »
Had the same thing, IE10 worked fine, Avast updated to 2014 and killed it, would only run if the add on was disabled. Updated to IE11 and seems to be fine now, loaded Firefox as well, that worked ok. Un ticked the Chrome options when Avast updated & suddenly IE stops... hmmmm
Odd but IE loads pages faster than Firefox and runs quicker now. Worth a try if you can update to IE11, maybe IE is quick due to pc spec (dual quad core, 24Gb ram, SSD drives) but never found that much difference to Firefox.

IE11 is the fastest browser out there

smartie

« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2013, 02:17:10 PM »
I had the same issue. I have just updated to Avast 2014 and my IE 10 stopped working. I have first updated IE to IE11. That didn't help. Than I disabled the avast plugin, reset IE setting, that didn't help either. I went to Control Panel, Programs and Features and modified avast to remove browser protection. That also didn't help.

I have uninstalled avast 2014, rebooted, than installed it again through custom and unchecked browser protection. Now I have avast and IE both working, so I recommend that people try this...
I have found a setting in Avast (Settings/Active Protection), Web Shield, perhaps setting it to off would help as well?

I would really like if avast did admit there was a problem, like that I would install the browser protection when the problem is resolved, otherwise, I will have to go through all this periodically to find out if the issue is resolved because I like to have an antivirus plugin...
Alternatively, it would be great if plugins for different browsers had different config option, so I can enable Chrome one for example...

mud113

« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2013, 06:59:58 AM »
Just did a fresh install of Windows 7 64-Bit today after buying an SSD. Yesterday all worked fine but after installing the latest Avast version my Internet Explorer won't open. I didn't install any optional components when I installed Avast. I'm unable to even get to the IE settings without going into the Control Panel and checking the add-ons from there (didn't matter anyway because I didn't have the plugin to begin with). I uninstalled IE and went back to IE8 and the browser worked fine. After updating to IE11 I'm unable to use it again. I've tried all the solutions provided in this forum with no luck.

Aseem

« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2013, 04:57:16 AM »
Disabling of web shields still crashes IE. If I disable the antivirus completely then IE works fine. Also have noticed that when IE is started with AV disabled and after sometime AV is enabled, IE still keeps on running.

Avast, this problem has been there from quite a long time. I agree that your product is good but Microsoft is a major market player and they build most of their products to be only compatible with their other products and products like sharepoint, etc work best when used with IE and hence not using IE reduces the efficiency to a certain extent. If this is being looked into by your developers then let the users know and try to find a solution ASAP.

Thanks

Pickup

« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2013, 01:54:37 PM »
Thank you for confirming my own findings Aseem.
I had also discovered that disabliing the AV service had the same results. (I thought that a little curious, because all clues on this trail tended to point me towards the avast firewall service as being the culprit - but disabling that had zero effect.)
Anyway, notifying avast of this clue didn't even produce a comment from them, let alone a resolution.
And I might add that (if I recall correctly) you'll probably find that while the intial instance of IE remains, after re-enabling the AV servce, opening a second instance of IE will still crash.

So, after more weeks without communication from avast, I eventually get a suggestion from them to install the latest beta.
I was quite confident this would cure the problem. It installed perfectly smoothly and then it requested a reboot.
On rebooting I was met with a black screen and no way to log in to windows.
So that was the first ever suggestion from them in about 50+ days or so, and the results? A trashed windows system.
Thanks a lot avast.

Lien

« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2013, 02:29:34 PM »
Since I have the 2014 version, IE keeps crashing on public networks.
On my home network I can acces internet, but it runs far from smooth.

I've had contact with Avast Tech Support and they suggested different solutions, but non of them made a difference.

The last suggestion was to use the new beta, just like Pickup, but I answered I don't want to because a beta only causes other problems.
I asked if this meant they've given up solving the problem with IE within te 2014 version, but Tech Support kept quiet.

So yes, they have been working on it, but I've got the feeling they've run out of solutions and started working on a new (beta)version.

Pickup

« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2013, 04:33:15 PM »
And may we ask what those suggestions were?