Author Topic: Unresponsive plug-in AIS 2014 9.0.2006  (Read 3102 times)

Handrail10

Unresponsive plug-in AIS 2014 9.0.2006
« on: October 26, 2013, 04:58:49 AM »
 Avast Internet Security 2014   9.0.2006    131025-0    Vista Home premium.   Firefox 24.0   Whenever web browsing in Sandbox or safe-zone, I get a pop-up warning: "Warning: Unresponsive plug-in, Shock-wave flash may be busy or may have stopped responding. You can stop the plug-in or continue to see if plug-in will complete".........response is extremely slloowww and eventually will freeze up and require a manual reboot. Otherwise AIS seems to be working fine..... Any ideas?  :(

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: Unresponsive plug-in AIS 2014 9.0.2006
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 05:38:37 AM »
hi Handrail10,

I get that one too at times.  Know exactly what you are talking about.   ;D

Here's what I do:
  • Stop the flash plug-in immediately and continue as before.  No freezing or hangs are experienced when this is done.  Attempting to re-initiate flash will fail more often than not.
  • Flash appears to work normally for the rest of the session.
  • Always close the session and empty the sandbox of any remnants in case this was a malicious attempt to manipulate Shockwave Flash into doing something it is not supposed to do.
  • Make it a point and target flash to update to the latest secure version when it comes out asap.
  • Never browse anywhere on the web unless sandboxed.  Only time not is when using Windows updates.
8) ;) :)
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Handrail10

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 02:12:17 PM »
Mchain,
Thanks for the prompt reply and Great pointers, however my application is still dragging. Strange  ???, the sandbox and safe-zone work flawlessly in previous version and this problem showed up immediately upon installing the new version 9.0.  :(

I empty the the sandbox after every attempt to use it.

Adobe Flash is up to date and set to auto update.

I've tried clean re-installing several times to no avail......... Even Internet explorer bogs down to an eventual stall when i attempt to use it.
Don't know what to do now, short of uninstalling. AIS is of no significance if the Sandbox and Safe-zone cannot be used.

Handrail10

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 04:26:02 PM »
newbie mistake....wasn't supposed to post any malware related info here....sorry my bad. :-[
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 04:54:41 PM by Handrail10 »

Handrail10

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 04:28:14 PM »
newbie mistake...wasn't supposed to post any malware related files here....sorry, my bad. :-[
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 04:56:36 PM by Handrail10 »

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 07:12:43 PM »
Mchain,
Thanks for the prompt reply and Great pointers, however my application is still dragging. Strange  ???, the sandbox and safe-zone work flawlessly in previous version and this problem showed up immediately upon installing the new version 9.0.  :(

I empty the the sandbox after every attempt to use it.

Adobe Flash is up to date and set to auto update.

I've tried clean re-installing several times to no avail......... Even Internet explorer bogs down to an eventual stall when i attempt to use it.
Don't know what to do now, short of uninstalling. AIS is of no significance if the Sandbox and Safe-zone cannot be used.
OK.

Try disabling flash acceleration in flash.  One way to to that is to open a streaming video, right-click the video, and navigate thru the settings to where you can see the box for unticking Flash Acceleration.  Another way is to go to Control Panel and double-click Flash icon for settings within.

You'll need to work with the video in unsandboxed mode for the settings change to stick.

As a test before you make any changes to flash, download and run this program:  http://www.sandboxie.com/    Any change in behavior when you run things as before?

I"ll hunt around for 8.01497 AIS and get the link for you later if that is what needs to be done.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Handrail10

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 09:28:38 PM »
Thanks again!  :)

Disabling the flash acceleration rate seem to improve video playing capabilities, I was able to stop and re-start the same video several times with out terminating the browser in the  AIS sandbox. The problem reared it's ugly head upon terminating the AIS sandbox, then attempting to reopen Firefox in the AIS sandbox. Firefox would not open again in the AIS sandbox unit a manual reboot was performed.

The Sandboxie application works well when it's not entangled with the AIS sandbox/safe-zone, as is the case with all other applications on my computer.

I tried re-installing AIS 8.01497 a day or two ago and some how it got updated to 9.0 again.

Very appreciative of your assistance. :)

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 04:08:51 AM »
Good job so far.

As a practical matter, use of Sandboxie should prevent issues with AIS, as a similar issues can occur with Internet Explorer and Windows.  Both the sandbox within AIS and Internet Explorer are integrated within each environment, so corruption in IE can adversely affect Windows operation, as can the sandbox feature if it is not working correctly within AIS.  As the SafeZone Browser enables secure and protected financial transactions when it is working properly, this main feature is what AIS is really all about.  So, as with IE/Windows operation, use AIS sandbox for what you really want to use it for.

Sandboxie will allow you to safely do everything else.

Sandboxie does not need to be run within AIS to be effective; it works just fine by itself.  You can run your browser(s) of choice within it, and it will keep any changes to that browser from becoming permanent in nature.  It is possible to set the sandbox to auto-delete on close of your browser sessions.

It seems there may be some issues with the browsers you are running; the version in AIS is Google Chrome modified to not have any add-ons running or enabled when in SafeZone and the AIS Sandbox is what one uses to run FF or other.  So, with your permission, I'd like to have one of our malware experts to have a look at your system and see if, (if you think this may help you,) when he asks to run a certain program and a log is attached by you, to see if there is anything amiss with either your browsers, system, or AIS.

A certified malware expert will only be contacted if you say OK to do so.

Final resolution for now, may be one needs to wait until a fix is made for your specific issues in a later upcoming update, and run with AIS 8.0.1497 until that is done.  Just be sure to use aswclear.exe as instructed when you move up one version number, from 8.0 to 9.0, so you get a clean install without the issues that happen sometimes from updating within the program gui.

BTW, to prevent auto-updating of your AIS program see the following .jpeg setting noted below:
Default AIS Browser settings below:  (you can always run the AIS sandbox manually by right-clicking the browser icon on the desktop)

[EDIT:]  Fixed typo.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 04:27:05 AM by mchain »

Handrail10

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 06:47:57 PM »
Mchain,

Thanks again,

* I've re-installed AIS 8.0 and it's working like a charm.......thanks for the heads-up on setting the program update to manual.

*I've posted a thread titled  (unresponsive plug-in) yesterday in the "viruses/worms" forum containing attachments of log files from some of the recommended malware testing applications. I'm okay with an expert looking into this problem.....

Ultimately, I'd like to the see the sandbox/safe-zone features in 9.0 work on my computer.