Author Topic: No User Interface  (Read 23048 times)

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: No User Interface
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 10:18:07 PM »
Which is why the question about any prior a/v programs.  Remnants left behind of any a/v program could affect proper operation of avast!.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

drummerman

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 11:19:40 PM »
I can't understand why the tray icon isn't displayed on/shortly after startup.

Do you have any other security based software (firewall, anti-spyware, etc.), as some have been known to block new startup entries ?

Well, I know your question is not directed at me but I use Windows Firewall and Firewall Control, result is the same problem ... no AVAST tray icon intermittently. Sometimes it loads, sometimes it doesn't

Seems quite a few of us have the same problem

HankJS

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 12:43:30 AM »
The anti virus programs that have been on this system are McAfee, System Mechanic Pro, earlier version of avast, MS essentials.

HankJS

Arnold72

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 12:51:10 AM »
System mechanic pro is not an antivirus.
However i consider junk like that just as and in some cases more dangerous than some malware out there.

Cheers.

HankJS

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 01:05:54 AM »
Arnold72

The last version I had of SMP did have an anti virus/malware component.  I went through this on another forum.  Check the current site, either Iolo is misrepresenting the product or it has those components.

HankJS

HankJS

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 01:37:41 AM »
There's another little glitch.  In the UI/My Devices I get a caution on "Current Device" Device Communication "Security Status" needs attention.

But I can't find what needs attention or fixing.

Sorry for the newbie stuff.

HankJS

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2013, 02:00:09 AM »
Not a problem.  I was a newbie once.

Thank you for the antivirus history info. 

Now, maybe running this tool for McAfee, Microsoft Security Essentials, may help make some progress here for you: 

(You have a choice about which of the two lists is better suited for your needs, but both are similar, but one or the other may have a more recent up-to-date remnant removal tool.  How current these tools are is up to the vendor of each site.)

http://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB11#artTitle
http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/

McAfee, in particular, may have to have this McAfee vendor removal tool run more than once, as it can be stubborn to remove all left-over remnants, even when using their own removal tool.  Suggest running the their tool as they instruct, but run, reboot, run again, reboot.  Sometimes it takes three runs to get rid of everything.

MSE should only need one run to completely remove all remnants.  Suggest using their tool and reboot.

You've already got aswclear.exe, but that may not be needed again if you see your icon and other stuff coming online after you do this work.

It may be, or may not be, that doing the above may take care of some of your issues, or all of them.  Here's to hoping for the best outcome possible.   ;D   

Thanks for sharing that you once had McAfee on your system.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

doktornotor

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2013, 09:35:50 AM »
If you have a history of testing tons of security products, I'd frankly reinstall the box from scratch.

HankJS

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2013, 02:09:00 PM »
I've already run MCPR from McAfee.

I worry more about System Mechanic.  Iolo doesn't seem to have a removal tool.

The state of affairs now is Avast appears to start, at least Windows reports it is the active anti virus/malware and is up to date.  The icon doesn't appear in the systray until I click on the desktop shortcut.  That brings up the UI and the icon then appears in the systray.

If I choose to "reinstall the box" will the repair install work as well as a complete destructive reinstall?

HankJS

doktornotor

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2013, 02:11:25 PM »
Not really sure what "repair install" are you referring to. I have been suggesting to reinstall the entire operating system and everything else from scratch.

doktornotor

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2013, 02:13:14 PM »
P.S. As for "System Mechanic" and similar products - my point of view is that these tools only damage the OS and produce nothing useful.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2013, 05:19:25 PM »
I've already run MCPR from McAfee.

I worry more about System Mechanic.  Iolo doesn't seem to have a removal tool.  (Italics added.)

The state of affairs now is Avast appears to start, at least Windows reports it is the active anti virus/malware and is up to date.  The icon doesn't appear in the systray until I click on the desktop shortcut.  That brings up the UI and the icon then appears in the systray.

If I choose to "reinstall the box" will the repair install work as well as a complete destructive reinstall?

HankJS
All work suggested so far is to avoid the use of a factory restore.  Unfortunately, that may be the final outcome after all this is done.

Suggest using Revo Uninstaller to get rid of System Mechanic and any remaining folders.  Not surprised that it does not seem to have an uninstaller or a link to it.  Always a symptom of poorly engineered software; this omission is sometimes done on purpose.  Revo has a Hunter function that will allow you to directly remove it, plus there is a free version and a trial, more advanced version good for a 30 day full-use license.

You can get it here:  http://www.revouninstaller.com/start_freeware_download.html   

Suggest running around this site to learn as much as you can about this program before you use it.

As always, create a System Restore point just before you begin.

Addendum:  Be sure to back up all personal files first if you choose to do a factory restore, as all personal files will be irretrievably lost when this is done.  This is why a registry cleaner of any sort is not recommended as it can damage Windows operation and functionality.  Plus, troubleshooting can be very arduous and time-consuming vs. doing a factory restore.

Offer to call someone such as essexboy still stands.  He may know of a registry fix or two that may get you on your way.

HankJS

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2013, 06:42:11 PM »
This system came from the factory with Windows XP home edition 32bit.  I later upgraded to Windows 7 Home premium 32bit.  I believe the factory partition is still there, but the would restore the system to XP with the purchased software.  The Windows 7 disks have a repair-install option which restores OS files but leaves program and personal files alone.

It appears Avast is running after booting, the systray icon not appearing until I open the UI which says everything is OK and up to date.  Though not the normal performance, is there anything particularly harmful with the operation?

I've had occasion to use Revo in the past, I'll go back explore its functions a bit more.

HankJS
Newark, DE

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2013, 11:01:51 PM »
I'd try the repair option in W7 first after I first disabled the self-defense module in avast! and backed up all my files just in case.  With the repair function it is likely you'll need to do Windows Updates all over again.

Re-enable the self-defense module when repair is successful and complete.

No, as long as the program is running properly after you've manually initiated it, you should be fine.  I assume avast! is set to start in msconfig, both in services and start-up?  Check services.msc as well.  You'll have to run both in your Administrative account.

Wouldn't connect to the Internet until avast! is up and running.

Correct.  A factory restore would bring you back to as-new condition with XP present and W7 gone if the restore partition is still there and it was run.

HankJS

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2013, 01:41:40 AM »
After the boot process settles down, I've checked Control Panel/System and Security and it reports Avast is running and up to date.  That's before I click on the desktop shortcut.

Would this mean Avast is running in the background before I activate the UI?

Nether Windows control panel uninstaller or Revo show any traces of previously used anti virus software.  When I was done with the programs I mentioned, I at least removed them with windows uninstaller or any uninstaller the program had with it before I install a new anti virus.

These are the specs on the system all this is happening on:
Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz 2.79GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 3.00 GB
Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit OS

My primary system:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 16.0 GB
500GB SSD 1TB SATA HDD slave
Window 7 Professional 64-bit Operating System