Author Topic: Another issue . .  (Read 1847 times)

NTxLS

Another issue . .
« on: October 27, 2013, 07:21:51 PM »
Greetings from here to you,

Wondering why there is not a chance to give the "PreBoot Scan" a chance to be included on one of the four (4) selections from the "Status" area of Avast! Make those icons a little smaller maybe you could give us a chance to have more of the different features available from that openning screen for faster selection.

Have noticed if started from one of the four icons from the "Status" area the "Popup," showing the running scan, does not show for any scan started from "Status" window icons. If started from the "Scan" page the "Popup" window shows when closing the main Avast! window.

The "Popup" shows nicely. Also have noticed when viewing the running "Scan" from the Avast! window the pulsing ring and the "%" completed show as does the fine 'Blue' line around the outer edge of the 'Blue' pulsing circle. If this circle was made a little smaller it could be used in that "Popup" for the running scan when Avast! main window is closed. Making that "Popup" less intrusive.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Another issue . .
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 09:49:07 PM »
Just my personal question: do you really run boot time scanning that often?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 09:58:19 PM »
For what it's worth I have not ran a boot scan in years.
The only reason for a boot scan is "if" and "only if" something is found during a quick/full scan. 
I run a quick scan once a week when I know my computer is on if it isn't on I'll catch it the next
week-end. I will do a full scan once a month whenever I get around to it. If the full scan doesn't
happen "oh-well", "no biggie".  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

NTxLS

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 10:21:07 PM »
YES, I do run that often, like maybe 2-3 a week and even some days may do a couple of times. I am what I call "DualNoided" also known as Paranoid. When it comes to my computer security is my PRIME attention. Managed a small computer system before retiring, about 36 dumb terminals with several in remote locations. Approx. 75,000 records with full information about the Test Equipment that was maintained by the Laboratory where I worked. My responsibility was full security on that system, did not know anything about computers at that time, BTOS O/S (Boroughs Task O/S) and had to learn what was needed. Took me a couple of weeks before it was up and running and about a month to get the terminals installed then assign access to those that needed to use the system.

Just thought I would give you a sample of my background, there has been NO formal training on computers, all has been Trial/Errors, mostly ERRORs but not often. Have been installing and maintaining my own system and helping another when needed. This all started about 1984 and has gone on to where I am today. Have been on the internet before Microsoft put out Windows, started in Win3.1 8bit through Win7 SP1 64bit. Work frequently in RegEdit and many other areas that we are not supposed to be able to enter. Very careful about the sites I visit and have not ever been hit with a virus, have had them on my system still zipped, not installed. Feel very lucky and do use my computer very carefully.

Excuse me for this long winded post . . I C where "Para-Nid" has made a post, maybe some day before I terminated I too can do what he does but until then I need to feel safe.

NTxLS

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 11:09:21 PM »
"Para-Noid",

Actually that was really "GMER" the memory is a bit slow @ 73 . .
I like your Nick, except I R 1. BAG! Just wanted to mention the fact when I learned Alwil had purchased GMER software that is a rootkit scanner and placed it in their Avast! AntiVirus software and it would be available in the FREE version is when I started using Avast! This was actually before it was in the Avast! software. I still have a copy of the original version of GMER, do not remember what that stood for, saved on a 3.5" floppy some where here. Had been using GMER for several years before this took place.

I would like to use Avast! paid version but as a retired person on a fixed income the need to be froogle with my survival monies is paramount. Need to stick with the FREE version. Do promote Alwil's Avast! at every chance I find. Feel very comfortable and safe.

Thank you for that post and will work on gaining more confidence as time goes on . .

For what it's worth I have not ran a boot scan in years.
The only reason for a boot scan is "if" and "only if" something is found during a quick/full scan. 
I run a quick scan once a week when I know my computer is on if it isn't on I'll catch it the next
week-end. I will do a full scan once a month whenever I get around to it. If the full scan doesn't
happen "oh-well", "no biggie".  :)

« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 12:19:04 AM by NTxLS »