Author Topic: New Sober yet again  (Read 10680 times)

homerzeppelin

Re: New Sober yet again
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2005, 09:08:02 PM »
The new sober appears to be pretty bad down in the west cost of florida near tampa.  We've had media attention on it and my company appears to be infected.  Symantec is calling it Trojan.Ascetic.C (with lots of other names, W32.Sober.P / O / Q / U ect).  (There is no attachment to the emails.)

Unfortunatly it isn't helping with the problem.  We have various people on our network receaving the german emails (you are made slave - was the translation of one of them...fun).  One of the workers email appears to be sending the mails out, since he keeps receaving undelivered mail reports that are the new sober emails.  The whole system seems infected since some of the mails come from made up emails from our domain.

Its strange though since none of the files that symantic claims sober adds are on the computers that appear infected or on the company/mail server.

MFB

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2005, 05:54:59 AM »
Hmm, well as you know, it's quite common to discover new virus like Sober and Sasser Worms these days cause people who made these viruses has no life.  But to be honest, if it wasn't for them making these viruses, avast! wouldn't be much existed.   ;D

electronikk

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2005, 06:14:06 PM »
I don't get it. Has Sober-Q become part of the vdf or not? (Maybe another name was used?) And if not -why not? I mean this thing is "in the wildest"! This whole topic doesn't cast any good light on alwil. Comments?   :-\

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2005, 09:25:13 PM »
Of course it has - it's called Win32:Sober-O [Wrm].

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2005, 10:24:56 PM »
I don't get it. Has Sober-Q become part of the vdf or not? (Maybe another name was used?) And if not -why not? I mean this thing is "in the wildest"! This whole topic doesn't cast any good light on alwil. Comments? :-\

I think that you should bookmark this link for the future - http://www.virusbtn.com/resources/vgrep/index.xml it will help with aliases of viruses, since there is no common standard/convention for virus names. Unfortunately there is a delay from a new virus being detected to being included in this database.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

electronikk

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2005, 02:47:49 PM »
Thanks for the replies! (Wasn't able to post in a while.) Sorry, I was a little confused by the different names. I'd wish there were some kind of unified naming rules. That would probably help both the consumers and the programmers of antivirus software.