Author Topic: Avast Premier - Problems  (Read 4478 times)

mypyrex

Avast Premier - Problems
« on: October 26, 2013, 03:08:40 PM »
Since installing Avast Premier a few days ago my PC seems to have slowed down considerably with frequent glitches; programs freezing, Task Mananager indicating "Not Responding" &c., &c. I realise now that I probably don't really need Premier. Is it possible to revert to Internet Security which I had before?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast Premier - Problems
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 08:07:26 PM »
If you have the Internet Security license file, yes.
But I really doubt the Premier features will be causing such issues. Can't you imagine other parties in this equation? Other programs?
The best things in life are free.

mypyrex

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 11:20:04 PM »
"Can't you imagine other parties in this equation? Other programs?"

Everything was fine until I installed Premier. Also I notice that I cannot do a System Restore.

marc-d-l

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 11:46:53 PM »
What OS are you running ? What antivirus were you running before you installed Avast and how did you uninstall it ? also what firewall were you, and are now using ?

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 11:56:54 PM »
Yeh, there's no major issues with Avast Premier installed here on Win 8.1
A few minor things I'm hoping will be ironed out, but nothing like what the OP has described.

I would also suggest the OP follow the inquiry by marc in Post #3. and possibly the issues can  be resolved. :)

mypyrex

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 09:31:18 AM »
What OS are you running ? What antivirus were you running before you installed Avast and how did you uninstall it ? also what firewall were you, and are now using ?

Windows XP. I had Avast Internet Security for several years and then went to Premier last week. When I disable Avast everything seems to run normally.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 12:35:10 PM »
Did you do an upgrade or a clean install ?

Gdnaybr

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 12:56:49 AM »
Hi mypyrex, wanted to let you know that you are not alone!  I don't think this is an upgrade problem but a general problem with the 2014.9 update for anyone not running Windows 8, but I could be wrong.

I've had the same problems on my laptop and my mother's laptop - programs not opening, very slow operation, even SafeBrowser wasn't functioning properly, and the Task Manager wouldn't open, just kept putting little green boxes in the bottom bar.  Oh, and I couldn't watch online videos after the initial program update although watching video worked after doing a clean install. 

All was fine on both computers before updating to 2014.9.  I run Vista and my mum has Windows 7.  We have Avast Internet Security and have used it for years with no issues.  No other firewall was enabled.  After the initial updating from Avast (not clean) and having the above mentioned problems, I've done two clean installs now on my computer and one on my mother's.  A clean install seemed to work better for a few hours but then found certain programs wouldn't open - Malwarebytes (free), TDSSKiller, and a photography progam - and things were hanging up again.  These programs all worked fine before the update.  SafeBrowser had some problem with shockwave which i don't know how to fix.  It never had that problem before either.

So out of major frustration, I've completely uninstalled Avast for the third time.  My laptop now works fine again!!  I will leave Avast off both computers and wait until Avast (hopefully) fixes the glitches.  Annoying since I have many months left of my subscription and I used the SafeBrowser a lot  :(