Author Topic: Avast Browser Protection Causing Freezing/Hanging/Crash IE10  (Read 7503 times)

UserA789

Avast Browser Protection Causing Freezing/Hanging/Crash IE10
« on: October 28, 2013, 04:53:25 PM »
This may be only on 64 bit systems.

So this is happening every time I'v reset Avast or repaired it or removed something I don't need from the installation; via the tool.

It also occurs if replacing an old version to the new version.

If I do not reset my IE settings; on the bottom of the 'Advanced' tab of the Internet Settings panel after doing any of the above, my IE will open blank and do nothing then Windows tells me its not responding and ask the usual 'End Program' dialog box.

EDIT:  This problem has been traced to the Avast Online Protection Module.  See new post below.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 05:14:20 PM by UserA789 »

UserA789

Re: Avast Online Protection Module Causing Freezing/Hanging/Crash IE10
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 05:17:52 PM »
Okay...

So after banging my head as hard as some of you, Iv traced the problem DIRECLTY to the Avast Browser Protection.

After changing the setup several times; removing one module at a time and re-instating said module(s) when moving to the next one.  I experience the hang'ss/crash's as reported above.  The IE reset does NOT fix the problem permanently and is VERY temporary in its results.

Can someone else verify this result and it being a result of the Avast Online Protection Add-on?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Avast Browser Protection Causing Freezing/Hanging/Crash IE10
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 05:23:02 PM »
Yes it is the cause, I believe an update was released via VPS last night

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 05:24:58 PM »
There are many such topics relating to this, generally slow opening and browsing, etc. of IE. Disabling/removing the Avast Online Protection Add-on, seems to resolve it.

That said there are some that are reporting a recent VPS update has resolved that.

I can't directly confirm that as I don't use the Avast Online Protection Add-on for IE as I rarely use it and it is IE8 on this XP Pro SP3 system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

UserA789

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 05:27:33 PM »
There are many such topics relating to this, generally slow opening and browsing, etc. of IE. Disabling/removing the Avast Online Protection Add-on, seems to resolve it.

That said there are some that are reporting a recent VPS update has resolved that.

I can't directly confirm that as I don't use the Avast Online Protection Add-on for IE as I rarely use it and it is IE8 on this XP Pro SP3 system.
It has not.  I just got done going through the testing process after the latest update.

As well, this topic defines the exact problem and issue and fix.  I personally don't like the add-on because part of it is still based on a high school popularity contest... that's never a good idea in the nature of security.  However, it also deals with blocking phishing sites; that's an important feature to me.  It would be nice if we could choose options again for which pieces of the module we want to be in effect; like the last two Avast releases.

For now, I guess I choose a third party for that but I should be refunded at a prorated value for a portion not working correctly.  Not really, but normally I would go over the TOS and prove this is what Avast agreed to.  If you want to get rude about it, I will and then Avast can be forced to issue this refund to ALL its consumers.  Right now, that function not working VIOLATES Avast TOS for this product.  Its that simple.

Id rather give them the chance to fix it correctly.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 05:31:48 PM by UserA789 »

UserA789

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 05:35:20 PM »
One thing to add... I believe it may have to do when you are choosing PUBLIC firewall options vs PRIVATE as this related to the Avast Online Protection Module but have not confirmed this by testing.  I know that I was doing fine until I changed this to pass 'Leak Testing' from the tool via www.grc.com.

I will give Avast props in the manner that I did pass ALL OTHER SECURITY TESTS (port scan, messenger spam, etc.) with flying colors EXCELLENT outcomes.