Author Topic: Left Hanging on updates and then Grayed Out!  (Read 2446 times)

Elementalwayz

Left Hanging on updates and then Grayed Out!
« on: October 28, 2013, 06:57:26 PM »
Using win 7 Home premium 64bit and Avast 2014.9.0.2006 131028-0
I Am left hanging when attempting to do manual updates on on Engine and virus definition updates and then when i close Avast and right click the Avast taskbar icon to update Engine and virus definitions & Program links are Grayed out and not selectable. Is this happening because your servers can't handle all of the manual update requests? Sidenote: I have to re-start the computer to have the Grayed out Engine and virus definitions to become selectable again.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Left Hanging on updates and then Grayed Out!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 07:03:38 PM »
Uninstall avast using the removal tool and do a clean install.
Let us know if that solved the problem or not.

been

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 07:10:50 PM »
I've noticed the manual update being very slow, too. It will eventually update or tell you it's already up to date ... just sit it out. I'm guessing the issue is at Avast's end and not with our installations.

Elementalwayz

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 07:41:29 PM »
Can you please tell me if Avast version 2014.9.0.2006 131028-0 with number of definitions is 2,610,215 is correct? if so then i would tend to agree with the post by "been " and think that this problem is on Avast's end.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 09:49:56 PM »
131028-1 is the latest vps version.
And what is making you think the update is hanging and not just going slow?
e.g. your isp can have a problem so you will have temporarily have a slow connection.

Elementalwayz

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 10:26:35 PM »
yes, I have 131028-1 now as well. What makes me curious as to the status of the manual updates is i noticed a message flash quickly that said "Host is unreachable" on the Avast connection status then Avast just hangs and Grays out manual update links. Seems like the server realizes that there is no current update and moves on to the next customer. Avast does seem to update fine on it's own so i guess i will leave well enough alone but some people may not like this hanging/Take to long to respond to manual update request issue that has been noticed by many. Thank you for the quick response.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 10:44:37 PM »
Well "host is unreachable" can be caused by several things. Since you have the update now I would say don't worry. Everything seems to work.
It could have the avast servers where having a lot of requests, your isp had some (minor) issues etc. etc.
Those things happen sometimes.