Author Topic: Avast Webshield blocks streams and some internet videos  (Read 37042 times)

Demustt

Re: Avast Webshield blocks streams and some internet videos
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 11:52:17 PM »
Had to register to come and announce I have the exact same problem.

All twitch streams reload every few minutes for me. Downloading certain (100% trusted and legit) files stop downloading completely, I have to pause and resume the downloads to get them to start again.
Everything works 100% perfectly without webshield.

Using Firefox v24 on Windows 7 Home x64 (tested all this stuff without the online security plugin, no effect. Only Avast WebShield makes everything reload).

enduser9999

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2013, 01:18:36 AM »
Had to register to come and announce I have the exact same problem.

All twitch streams reload every few minutes for me. Downloading certain (100% trusted and legit) files stop downloading completely, I have to pause and resume the downloads to get them to start again.
Everything works 100% perfectly without webshield.

Using Firefox v24 on Windows 7 Home x64 (tested all this stuff without the online security plugin, no effect. Only Avast WebShield makes everything reload).

Update Firefox to v25 fixes this issue

Bugses

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2013, 03:10:56 PM »
Its really really weird, that it works fine for you guys.

I've tried to disable every addon I got. AddBlock, Evernote and Tampermoney. That dosent help, until I disable the Webshield through Avast. I dont even have the Chrome avast addon installed..

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2013, 03:34:52 PM »
Its really really weird, that it works fine for you guys.

I've tried to disable every addon I got. AddBlock, Evernote and Tampermoney. That dosent help, until I disable the Webshield through Avast. I dont even have the Chrome avast addon installed..
hi Bugses,

Are your browsers really clean?  Any unusual behavior in any of them?  avast! could be detecting something in your browser(s).  Reason I say that is because I've no problem and neither does DavidR or Eddy, and pretty sure we each take the time to ensure our browsers are clean and operating the way they should. 

I also make it a point to never disable real-time protection just to visit a favorite site just because it gets blocked, so....  I investigate the site itself to see if there are, in fact, reasons why blocks/di(s)connects are happening and then notify the site owner of such if the blocks are true and valid.  Might also want to try a clean, fresh install of adobe first, to see if that is really your issue.

You can get the full install version here:  http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html  Uninstall/reboot, then install new/reboot.  MSI installer works best, imo.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 03:38:29 PM by mchain »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

majoho

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, 04:57:22 PM »
I have this exact issue as well.

Windows 8.1 - Happens in all Browsers, my Firefox is updated to 25.0. - flash is the latest version as well.

Streams keeps reloading every few seconds, I'm lucky to be able to see 10 secs.

Looking at the taskbar in windows the avast logo is "turning" all the time, pretty sure it shouldn't do that.

(also the captions here are really annoying)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 05:00:04 PM by majoho »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2013, 06:45:08 PM »
The fact that the avast tray icon is rotating is because it is scanning and streaming content is likely to do that. If it reloads, then the process would start over.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jack0712

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2013, 05:14:42 AM »
Hi,
I am having the same problems after updated to Avast 2014. Everything was normal, now i can not watch twitch tv streaming anymore.

My info: Windows 8, Avast 2014 (lastest program and virus definitions), up-to-date Chrome.
Problems: Twitch tv streaming video keeps refreshing every 5s (the Avast icon turns constantly), everything else is normal (webpage, youtube, etc), no warnings.
Some did not work efforts: Disable Avast extentions in Chrome, disable Reputation services, clean up Browser.
I tried disable Web shield and it's good though .... Very frustrating cause it was totally normal before i updated to Avast 2014 >"<. Now i have to Right click Avast icon -> Disable all shield -> Open Chrome and Twitch -> Enable shield again.

Hope there will be solution soon.
Regards,
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 05:19:33 AM by Jack0712 »

GreggH

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2013, 01:13:09 PM »
My info: Windows 8, Avast 2014 (lastest program and virus definitions), up-to-date Chrome.

What do you consider the "latest program"? Perhaps it might be better if you actually specified the programme, as in AIS (Avast Internet Security) 2014 v. 9.0.2007 (which is the latest programme, update issued on Oct. 31, and which fixed my network streaming issues). With accurate data (including for Windows) it is much easier to help. Sucha s:

My info: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, AIS 2014 v. 9.0.2007, no other security apps installed or running

Gregg

Jack0712

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2013, 02:39:00 PM »
Well, I am trying to update Avast frequently these days hoping it will fix the problem. So it is 2014.9.0.2007, but does not fix it.
Also i'm using Windows 8 x64 with Windows Firewall enable. But this should not be the problem because it was normal until i updated to Avast 2014.
Regards,

FireDK

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2013, 03:28:21 PM »
I have the same problem. Running Avast Free 2014.9.0.2007 on Windows 8.1 x64 with all updates, Windows Firewall and no other security software installed. In Firefox 25 all Twitch.tv streams refresh at short random intervals (usually every few seconds, sometimes after 20-30 seconds). Using Safe Mode, disabling addons or setting http://*.twitch.tv/* to the exclusions list in Web Shield do nothing to alleviate the issue, the only solution so far is completely disabling the Web Shield. The same streams work, however, in Internet Explorer with Web Shield up.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 03:36:03 PM by FireDK »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2013, 03:54:36 PM »
That would tend to suggest it is a Firefox problem if IE is functioning normally

DoomIsComing

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2013, 11:38:52 PM »
I have the exact same problem as the users listed above. Having web shields enabled in Avast blocks most web streams and large image files.

System details:
Win 8 x64 - standard with no goofy software installed.

Before you parrot all the 'experts' above:
No other security software installed. Problem occurs in ALL browsers (Chrome, FF, IE) regardless of extensions. ALL are up to date to the latest version. No, there is no problem with my browsers being compromised. Weekly scans with malwarebytes, adblock (and noscript on FF) always running, and no I don't visit sites that would be delivering malware.
BROWSERS CLEANED, PURGED AND RE-INSTALLED
AVAST RE-INSTALLED x3

Both my girlfriend and I are coming up on our yearly PAID FOR avast subscription. Unless I can see a fix for this it's back to Norton instead. The only solution so far is to entirely disable Web Shields. No point in paying for security software if it won't let me browse the internet as usual.  >:(

DoomIsComing

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2013, 11:39:50 PM »
Oh, and all this started with the update to the 2014 version. There was no issue before.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2013, 11:44:59 PM »
Oh, and all this started with the update to the 2014 version. There was no issue before.

Hallo, we have discovered an issue in new WebShield implementation. This is probably reason of your problems. We are preparing fix for that.

Meanwhile you can try to switch to old WebShield implementation. To do that, please

Go to C:\programdata\avast software\avast directory

Find the WebShield.ini, file and add following lines:

[General]
UseStreamFilter=0

Now restart „avast! Antivirus“ service, or reboot.

Please let us to know if the problem is gone.

You may need to disable Avast Self Defense temporarily through Avast>Settings>Troubleshooting
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2013, 12:31:10 AM »
<snip quote>
Hallo, we have discovered an issue in new WebShield implementation. This is probably reason of your problems. We are preparing fix for that.

Meanwhile you can try to switch to old WebShield implementation. To do that, please
Go to C:\programdata\avast software\avast directory
Find the WebShield.ini, file and add following lines:

[General]
UseStreamFilter=0

Now restart „avast! Antivirus“ service, or reboot.
<snip>

You may need to disable Avast Self Defense temporarily through Avast>Settings>Troubleshooting

If you use notepad.exe for the edit, the only text editor allowed by the self-defence to edit the .ini files, you shouldn't need to disable the self-defence module. When you save the edit you will have to acknowledge the changes (self-defence at work), just answer Yes.

The only other issue is that from win7 onwards, windows 'may' give an access denied error, if so it may require that you run notepad.exe as administrator in order to make the changes.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security