Author Topic: Avast 4.6.665 scan  (Read 2389 times)

dld

Avast 4.6.665 scan
« on: May 29, 2005, 05:07:58 PM »
I downloaded the latest version of Avast 4.6.665.  I then ran a thorough scan.  This scan has been running for over two hours now.  I only have 10.8 GB of used space, which normally takes at most 45 minutes to scan.  If I try to stop the scan I get the message shown:

O.K. I think I know what's happening.  I installed lately a slave drive (S drive) on which I created an image of my C drive.  I can see that Avast is actually scanning this image.  I'll have to investigate whether scanning this drive is actually recommended.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2005, 05:15:10 PM by dld »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Avast 4.6.665 scan hangs
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 05:15:05 PM »
The scan length is totaly dependant on the number and size of files.  I did a scan (full and archives ) this am and for 150,000 files it took 45 minutes.  However I did have a similar  problem a few weeks ago all I did was go to control panel...add/remove programmes...select avast remove...then selected the repair option (you must be online for this) rebooted then no further problems.  I just put it down to a problem on the update download no occurence since.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast 4.6.665 scan
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 05:24:14 PM »
I can see that Avast is actually scanning this image.
You can add the file (name and path) to the exclusion list of avast.
In fact, you can call this a bug... avast! is working  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast 4.6.665 scan
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 05:49:34 PM »
A through scan is going to take a considerable time (so I would suggest it is a fire and forget {go to bed} activity), especially if you are also scanning archives. I would recommend you do one of these shortly after you have installed avast to ensure your system is clean. I would only run it after any serious infection or suspect activity.

I run a standard scan (without archives) weekly since the resident scanners provide adequate protection for day to day use, scanning created, modified, or opened files. An archive file is inert until you open (unzip) it and run one of the files inside, the standard shield will scan this activity. So scanning archive files on a regular basis is wasted processing effort based on there risk (IMHO).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security