Author Topic: aswrvrt.sys problem. System locking at startup  (Read 2020 times)

storrm

aswrvrt.sys problem. System locking at startup
« on: October 30, 2013, 02:06:44 AM »
Hi,

I've read several articles with people experiencing the same issue as me ie. Windows 7 stops booting and freezes on Starting Windows screen and when booted to safe mode, stops on the aswrvrt.sys file.  I'm running Windows 7 64bit Ultimate with SP1 and haven't installed anything recently that I can remember.  My PC was working fine this morning and then around lunchtime I appeared to lose sound (I was watching some BBC news cast) after which I rebooted and the problem started.

I've attached my frst.txt file.  Hope to hear from you soon :-)

Offline TwinHeadedEagle

• Malware Removal Expert
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Zemana
Re: aswrvrt.sys problem. System locking at startup
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 09:22:41 AM »
Hi,

We will have two steps, please execute them one by one. If first one isn't succeded, then proceed to second step.

Step 1.

Open notepad.
  • Click Start
  • Type notepad.exe in the search programs and files box and click Enter.
  • A blank Notepad page should open.
  • Copy/Paste the contents of the code box below into Notepad.
Code: [Select]
Restore point made on: 2013-10-26 13:45:22
  • Save it to your USB flashdrive as fixlist.txt
>>  Boot into Recovery Environment

Start FRST in a similar manner to when you ran a scan earlier, but this time when it opens ....
  •     Press the Fix button once and wait.
  •     FRST will process fixlist.txt
  •     When finished, it will produce a log fixlog.txt on your USB flashdrive.
>>  Exit out of Recovery Environment and post me the log please.

Try to boot normally. If it's not working, procede to step #2

Step 2.

Open notepad.
  • Click Start
  • Type notepad.exe in the search programs and files box and click Enter.
  • A blank Notepad page should open.
  • Copy/Paste the contents of the code box below into Notepad.
Code: [Select]
LastRegBack: 2013-10-21 10:07
  • Save it to your USB flashdrive as fixlist.txt
>>  Boot into Recovery Environment

Start FRST in a similar manner to when you ran a scan earlier, but this time when it opens ....
  •     Press the Fix button once and wait.
  •     FRST will process fixlist.txt
  •     When finished, it will produce a log fixlog.txt on your USB flashdrive.
>>  Exit out of Recovery Environment and post me the log please.

Try to boot normally...
My help is free, however if you'd like to show your appreciation by leaving a donation, it will be much appreciated ------> DONATE

storrm

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 11:39:45 AM »
Thanks for responding so quickly.

Step 1 carried out, rebooted and still the same problem.  Was able to re-boot into recovery console and carry out a system restore to the 26th October.  Rebooted again but no difference.  Fixlog1.txt attached

Step 2 carried out, rebooted and have now managed to get back to my original desktop.  Fixlog2.txt attached.

So it seems something has gone wrong with my computer either related to a general windows problem or a virus of some description.  Thank you very much for your assistance in helping me get my PC back, however, can you tell me what steps I should carry out now to ensure that this isnt a virus related issue?  I'm concerned in case there is still something there and it happens again.

Thanks again.  Great support

PS Forgot to mention that I've noticed my SSD boot drive seems to have lost a lot of space.  Its a 128Gb SSD with just windows and a couple of programs installed and is normally 50-60% full.  It now seems to be 90% full.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 11:42:52 AM by storrm »

Offline TwinHeadedEagle

• Malware Removal Expert
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Zemana
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 12:40:32 PM »
Hi, great to hear it :)

Let's check if this is virus related...

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.

Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • After the scan has finished click on the Clean button.
Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.

• After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S0].txt) will open automatically.
  • Post logfile will also be saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder.
Then...

Please download GMER, AntiRootkit tool from the link below and save it to your Desktop:

Gmer download link
Note: file will be random named

Double-clicking to run GMER.
  • Wait for initial scan to finish - if there is any query, click No;
  • Click Scan button and wait until the full scan is complete;
  • Click Save ... - save the report to the Desktop (named Gmer );
> Attach here Gmer logreports.

Then...

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool by Farbar and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatibale with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them.
Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Under Optional Scan ensure "List BCD" and "Driver MD5" are ticked.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.
My help is free, however if you'd like to show your appreciation by leaving a donation, it will be much appreciated ------> DONATE

storrm

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 03:15:34 PM »
Hi,

Whilst waiting for your response I noticed that my PC was doing some strange things; icons were missing, programs not working correctly etc so I decided that regardless of the fault, I would do a wipe and clean re-install.  All my data is stored on separate drives which I've currently got disconnected from the main PC.  Once I get the OS re-installed and Avast up and running again, I'll plug the other drives in and do a fulls can of each to check that they are clean.

Thank you again for your assistance, without which I wouldnt have been able to get back to my desktop and back-up some important program settings and folders.  Even though I have my personal data on a separate drive, it also gave me the opportunity to back that up as well, just to be sure :-)

Top marks :-)

Matt