Author Topic: Update error code c0000096  (Read 11624 times)

PJensi

Update error code c0000096
« on: May 29, 2005, 01:53:17 PM »
Avast 4.6 hasn't been able to update for the past three days.  A little red window pop ups telling me to click for more info but when i do, no browser window opens. My log says:

Function setifaceUpdatePackages() has failed. Return code is 0xC0000096, dwRes is C0000096

At the moment, neither the automatic update nor the manual updates works.

Thanks in advance...

PJensi

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Update error code c0000096
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 04:42:31 PM »
Which is your operational system?
Which firewall are you using?
Into the firewall settings, the following programs should be allowed to connect:

ashServ.exe (avast! antivirus service)
ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner) (allow server rights)
ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner Service) (allow email rights)
ashUpdSv.exe (avast! Update Service)
avast.setup (avast! Update executable)
The best things in life are free.

PJensi

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 08:16:26 PM »
Thanks for getting back to me. i'm using Windows XP and using the windows firewall. The Security Center, under the firewall options, says that it's allowing avast antivirus programs, but i can't find where it asks me for the programs you mentioned.

Thanks again for your help

PJensi

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 08:26:29 PM »
Ok, i just manually added all of the files you mentioned to the 'permit' section of the firewall. i couldn't find a file ash.setup in the folder though. There was a folder called 'setup' but there were no 'exe' files in it. Anyway, even after i added all the files you mentioned, i still couldn't get through. Also, i tried shutting down the firewall completely and that didn't change. i click on 'iAVS update', the computer 'thinks' for less than a second, then nothing. When i check the log, under warning, i get the message that the update failed (see my first post). Things that make you go 'hmmm'.

PJensi

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005, 08:27:51 PM »
Ooops.

i meant i couldn't find the 'avast.setup' file.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005, 08:48:07 PM »
You won't find avast.setup, it is only created when needed for an update and is removed afterwards.

Try a manual update and see if your firewall question you about access, you can then acept it.

Or you could just type in the same location as the other files and enter avast.setup as the file name, it may not check to see if the file exists in that location. I can't remember off hand which folder avast.setup is created.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 09:08:05 PM »
If it's not the firewall, basically, check:

1)  If your subscription allows the update right now (i.e., if it is not expired).

2)  Check your proxy settings into avast!:
     Left click the avast icon > Settings
     Update (Basic) > Details > Proxy

Make sure your browser is not set to "Work Offline" (this option is generally in the File menu). If it doesn't help, try switching the proxy settings from "Auto-detect" to "No proxy" (I'm assuming you're not connecting to the Internet via proxy).

Let us know.

PJensi

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 06:26:51 AM »
Hmmm, when i go into settings/details and click on 'proxy' nothing happens... The computer 'thinks' half a second and then nothing, no new window, no options, nothing. Could it be that there was an installation problem i didn't know about? Is it possible for me to re-install avast without uninstalling it? What do you recommend?

Thanks for advice and suggestions, i 'preciate it.

PJensi

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 07:31:04 AM »
PS. BTW, Avast! won't let me do a manual program update either. Is it better to re-install over the Avast! i have or uninstall and then re-install?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 02:01:42 PM »
Hmmm, when i go into settings/details and click on 'proxy' nothing happens...
If you're updating avast in that moment, you can't change the update settings (including proxy).
You must close all avast.setup instances (ctrl+alt+del and kill them).
After this, you'll be able to access your proxy settings.

Is it possible for me to re-install avast without uninstalling it? What do you recommend?
Yes. Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove
Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).
You must be connected to the internet while repairing.

If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 02:07:34 PM »
Seems like a corrupted install. Please try re-downloading the setup package, run it, and choose Repair (or Update, if you currently don't have the latest version installed (4.6.665)).

Thanks Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

PJensi

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2005, 09:05:19 PM »
It's fixed!! i had to uninstall (not easy, i had to go to the help page which directed me to a download page for AvsClear.exe), then tired to execute the download from the site, but had problems so i had to save the setup to my hard drive, still the install didn't work. So i rebooted anmdd tried the install and that time it worked. i just got the message "Your virus information has been updated", which was music to my ears. Thank you all for your help. You guys are teh greatest...

Peace out.