Author Topic: updates?  (Read 12166 times)

zmaint

updates?
« on: May 29, 2005, 05:03:37 PM »
I am using the PDA engine version 4.1.10, virus database 1.3.  I have autoupdates turned on, but the splash screen says "Checked for updates: not yet".  I also noticed that while I have avmonitor in my startup folder I do not have avupdate.  Do I need to have that there?  Also if I try to click manual update, it does nothing.  Absolutely no indication that its already up to date or anything.  However, if I have no internet connection it does come back as with a "ping failed" error. 
My questions are, how do I know if autoupdate is even working?  If it's not, how do I get it to work?  Am I on the latest version??   And I do have one suggestion, add some notification so I know that it did check when I run it manually and that I am running the most up to date version.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: updates?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 06:04:12 PM »
I am using the PDA engine version 4.1.10, virus database 1.3.

You're using the latest version.

I also noticed that while I have avmonitor in my startup folder I do not have avupdate.

In start menu, or in program folder ? If it exists on disc, it's not neede it have it in start menu.

Also if I try to click manual update, it does nothing. Absolutely no indication that its already up to date or anything.

That's wrong... if you dont have inet access, it shows you "ping failed" message - if you have, you should read a message saying there's no new updates on web... what type of PDA do you have?

zmaint

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 12:37:16 AM »
Dell Axim X50. 

Avmonitor is in the Windows Startup folder.  Avupdate is in the Programs folder.

When I have an active internet connection and click the button to update manually, nothing happens, I receive no notification whatsoever.  When I am NOT connected to the internet I get the ping failed error.

I do not have an icon showing that Avast is running, am I supposed to? 

Sorry for the slow reply, I am out of town on business and just got an internet connection..

dschlittler

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 09:28:30 AM »
i do have the same problem with my pda (hp ipaq h5450) and avast version 4.1.10, database 1.3.

i know now that i'm running the latest version, however i do not get an indication that the software even tries to check for new versions and database files. i do have auto-update enabled. checked for updates says 22 days ago. even if i try to check for updates manually this doesn't change, i cannot see that it would do something nor do i get an update confirmation. checked for updates still marks 22 days ago. how often should the software check for updates automatically? i assume this should happen at least once a day, but for sure everytime the pda is put in the cradle for active sync with the workstation. either checked for updates does not get updated and no other messages appear, or the update just doesn't work the way it's supposed to work. maybe i don't have the right internet settings on my pda, however other programs do not have problems to access the internet.

any help would be appreciated.

zmaint

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2005, 05:32:15 PM »
So is there a fix for this update thing?  I really would like some notification that it updated, or that it already had the latest version.  Also a tray icon would be nice, just so you know it's running. 

lithi0m

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 03:50:19 AM »
Just another person annoyed with Avast! 4.1.10 PDA updating via ActiveSync.
Avast! 4.1.10 is installed on two separate PDA's. One is a ol' skull HP Jornada 540, and one is a nifty new iPaq hx4705. I have attempted updating ActiveSync to new version 3.8.0 figuring that this error would be on Microsoft's end. But the error remains. Upon forcing an update I have a "Can't establish connection, ping failed." I would understand the error on the Jornada, as there is no network interface, but on the iPaq as well?

I see that I am not alone in this, and I can also see that this issues seems to be unresolved. Should I be a squeaky wheel and post every day (or sooner) to get attention?

a preemptive thanX for any help provided.

zmaint

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 01:42:31 AM »
Any word on this??

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2005, 11:13:25 AM »
lithi0m: did you use the same version for both devices ? WinCE.NET 4.x version is for iPaq, but your Jornada 540 has PocketPC 2000 OS and SH3 processor (http://files.avast.com/files/pda/ppc_sh3/avast4ppc_sh3_setup.exe).

update: i'll look what could be wrong in code and i'd let you know here (during this day)

zmaint

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 02:51:17 PM »
So what  did you find? 

Will a tray icon be added to future versions so the user will know Avast is actually running?

Will update notifications also be added??

zmaint

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2005, 05:10:49 PM »
Knock, knock anybody home??