Author Topic: Just installed avast Premier 3 years but it says "subscription expired"  (Read 3963 times)

Tom in Kent

I am finding avast really irritating to deal with.  After paying £99.99 this morning for the three year avast premier sub, it took 2 hours to install it because it wouldn't recognise the licence file.  Avast customer support in the UK is absolutely useless - no phone number to call, no live chat service.  You can only send an email and wait (I did that at 09:45 - still waiting for an answer nearly 3 hours later!)

Anyway, amazingly it suddenly DID recognise the licence (I lost track of how many attempts later) and it completed the installation and asked me to restart the computer.  Which I did.  To be greeted by a message saying "YOU ARE UNPROTECTED!  Subscription has expired"

So I'm back in the loop of no helpline to call and no live chat to ask...  Can this forum help?!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Just installed avast Premier 3 years but it says "subscription expired"
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 01:39:52 PM »
- Which avast!..?? (Free/Pro/IS/Premier)
- Which version..??
- OS..?? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP..?)
- Other security related software installed..??
- Which AV(s) did you use before avast!..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Tom in Kent

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 01:44:53 PM »
The onyl details I have are from the invoice as follows: 
Product SKU: PRE-08-001-36-AR
Product Name: avast! Premier - 1 PC, 3 Years
OS Vista Home Premium 64 bit
No other security software
Previous AV software - avast pro

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 01:55:01 PM »
1. Download avast! Premier Antivirus: http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_premier_antivirus_setup.exe
2. Follow instructions: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility (Run this tool for all prior installed avast! versions..!!)
3. Reinstall avast! with the downloaded installer from point 1.
4. Reboot.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Tom in Kent

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 04:12:06 PM »
Thank you.  That has worked (and was a lot easier to follow than the instructions which eventually arrived from avast tech support by email at 13:59, my email having been sent at 09:45!)

I am very grateful

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 08:18:29 AM »
You're welcome.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 11:08:45 PM »
My thanks to Asyn for his November 01, 2013 post. I will try this the next time this happens. Rebooting also solves the problem.
Avasts' level one response team is horrible. If the problem is off script they want to charge you $159 to get a supposedly competent staffer. Not going to happen. This "Expired" problem is a continuing one, happening every week or so. They clearly have an issue that they choke on but the level one folks don't have a clue (I have 50+ years in OS and app development). If they find any vestige of anything remotely resembling a current or prior antivirus they expire the software. When you display the Subscription screen it says it expires next year but "days to expiration" is 0. Stupid, stupid, stupid. They should flag the condition (if any) but continue to execute.

We will never renew this subscription again. I've had it with this company and its continuing begathons for additional extra -- and for fee -- features.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 08:48:55 AM »
@ Jerry,

You posted to a thread that was started quite a while ago instead of starting a new thread.  Did you contact someone by phone and pay money for service for your machine?  If so, this is not Avast; it is a third party company not associated with Avast.  I recommend that you get your money back and contact AdamRiley (at) avast (dot) com who may be able to help you if this is what you did.

In the future, if you have problems, the quickest response will be here on the forum.  You can always put in a ticket, but we are quicker here and available 24/7.