Author Topic: Update to Windows 8.1 won't work because of Avast antivirus free software.  (Read 15746 times)

wolflegal

Hi, when I start the Windows 8.1 update it keeps telling me that I need to uninstall Avast antivirus software after I have already completely uninstalled it. I tried reinstalling Avast and then completely uninstalling it again, but that didn't help. I dug through Windows 8 and deleted all references to Avast, including folders, that I could get to or could find (I didn't mess with the registry because it's too risky and I never mess with it), which worked for other products that the 8.1 update required that I uninstall but I couldn't otherwise uninstall without deleting the folders, or where the uninstall(s) didn't work. Now Avast is the only one that Windows 8.1 update says that I need to uninstall. Does anybody have any idea how I resolve this problem so that the 8.1 update will recognize that Avast is already uninstalled and complete the Windows 8.1 update? Surely others have run into similar problems? Thank you in advance if you can help.

Postscript 1: After writing and posting this request for assistance, I took a chance and deleted all of the keys referencing Avast from the Windows 8 Registry and rebooting, but that still hasn't corrected the problem. I tried downloading Windows 8.1 again; and, during the compatibility test, it came up saying again that I couldn't complete the 8.1 update until I uninstall Avast; which, as I said, is already uninstalled.

Postscript 2: I also ran AvastClean utility in Windows Safe Mode as Avast recommends (and, because there was no longer an Avast folder to point to with the utility, I reinstalled AvastAntivirusFree and ran the utility in Safe Mode again and allegedly removed all of Avast), but Windows 8 again will not update to 8.1, continuing to claim that Avast still needs to be uninstalled.

Please let me know what I can do to correct this problem. Thank you again for all of your help.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Update to Windows 8.1 won't work because of Avast antivirus free software.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 01:47:11 PM »
You could try rejzors tool which does dig deeper than the Avast version

Download Rejzor's Uninstall Utility to your Desktop.

• Unzip Rejzor's tool to the desktop
  • Run the tool and accept the usage
  • Once complete reboot your system
----------

wolflegal

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 05:20:58 AM »
Thank you for your suggestion. I downloaded and ran your program, and then rebooted, but the Windows 8.1 update still claims that Avast supposedly needs to be uninstalled, and thus will not complete. I wish that I could do the 8.1 update in Windows Safe Mode; but, of course, Windows will not allow me to do that.

So, do you or anyone else, particularly somebody working for Avast (nothing personal), have any other ideas on how to resolve this conundrum? Thank you again for the suggestion.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 05:24:39 AM by wolflegal »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 06:52:59 AM »
Can you restore to an earlier point before all this started happening?

wolflegal

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 11:25:29 AM »
I suppose I can try. I did create a Restore Point just before I started the update to Windows 8.1, but I assumed that nothing was done yet to restore from, because Windows 8.1 won't install if there are any programs still installed that are incompatible. But I will try restoring to that point now, run both of the Avast cleaning programs, and then try the 8.1 update again, and I will let you know how it went. It's worth a try.

wolflegal

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 10:35:04 PM »
Nope. It didn't work. I went back to my Restore Point from before the time I first tried to do the Windows 8.1 update, then ran both of the Avast cleaning programs, rebooted, created another Restore Point just in case, and then tried to do the 8.1 update again. But it's still saying that I (supposedly) have to uninstall the so-called "incompatible" Avast. Anybody have any other ideas?

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 10:42:01 PM »
Nope. It didn't work. I went back to my Restore Point from before the time I first tried to do the Windows 8.1 update, then ran both of the Avast cleaning programs, rebooted, created another Restore Point just in case, and then tried to do the 8.1 update again. But it's still saying that I (supposedly) have to uninstall the so-called "incompatible" Avast. Anybody have any other ideas?

Do you have an "Avast Software" folder in either C:\Program Files or C:\ProgramData?

Which version of Avast were you using before?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

wolflegal

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 12:28:07 AM »
No, I made sure all Avast folders were gone from both of those directories, as well as all reference(s) to Avast from the entire computer, including the Windows Registry. I had the AvastAntivirusFree program installed, and never anything but the free version(s).

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 12:34:41 AM »
No, I made sure all Avast folders were gone from both of those directories, as well as all reference(s) to Avast from the entire computer, including the Windows Registry. I had the AvastAntivirusFree program installed, and never anything but the free version(s).

I meant version number as in v8 or v9?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

wolflegal

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 12:36:38 AM »
The very latest version.

wolflegal

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 12:40:55 AM »
Btw, everyone, I've gone to Microsoft about this as well, at the following thread; and, so far, they haven't been able to come up with any resolution either:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_install/update-to-81-wont-work-because-of-avast-antivirus/63268a12-63e9-4685-8abb-1ad09b24c953?tm=1383249388208&rtAction=1383521370396

RLuckyL

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 05:41:36 AM »
I just downloaded and installed 8.1 and have the latest Avast.  I right clicked icon in the taskbar - then clicked on shield control and then clicked permanently disable.  Although it was a very long (3 1/2 to 4 hours) download and install -- it worked fine.

wolflegal

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 10:02:34 AM »
I tried shutting down the Shield Control, and that didn't work either... But, finally, I did an in-depth scan of the C: Drive for the word, "Avast", and moved a bunch of files that the search found, into a folder I created to save them in, in case I needed to move some of them back later, then the update to 8.1 finally worked. Yet, that did not happen until I spent hours on the phone with Microsoft support, trying a bunch of things that didn't resolve the problem. So it finally took something that I thought of to resolve the problem. But, anyway, the techies at Microsoft were really nice, and they did try. At least the situation is finally corrected. Thus, I'm grateful.

But now, since I wrote the first paragraph of this message, Windows 8.1 is running really unstable, especially the Start page, but troubleshooting scans claim everything's running fine. The chess program that I used in 8.0 and ran fine, now is really slow to respond like something's wrong with it. In the desktop, my Adaware antivirus program won't start up automatically upon reboot or Restart, and I have to keep turning it on manually. I'm so disgusted with how much worse Windows is getting with each new version; that, due to the problems already occurring with 8.1, I wish that I could back to 8.0, but the update erased all Restore Points and there appears to be no way to go back to 8.0. At least 8.0, with all of its own faults, was running fairly stable. Now I'm being caused nothing but headaches.

I talk with the Level 2 Microsoft tech again tonight, so hopefully he'll be able to resolve the problems; but I'm not holding my breath. I can't wait until I can afford to get a new hard drive for this laptop, replace the hard drive, and install Windows 7 on it. Windows 8 sucks as far as I'm concerned, but I couldn't buy the laptop with Windows 7 on it instead. Windows 7 is unstable too, but at least it runs fairly smoothly on my two desktops. Microsoft ought to take Windows 8 back to the drawing board; and they shouldn't release new Windows versions until they have truly, fully and completely worked out all of the bugs. Putting their customers through all of this hell just isn't right.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 12:12:00 PM by wolflegal »

guestja

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 02:18:40 PM »
Wolflegal,

I also updated from win 8 to 8.1. Some of my start page apps were not working right either. Some of them had a down arrow on them all the time. The solution for this was to uninstall all apps that were not working properly and then go to the "store" and re-download and install.

From searches I made, this has been a common problem with the 8.1 update.

Like you I was furious with win 8 on this new machine I just bought and was thinking of returning it. But once I got it going, and boot directly into the desktop, I am starting to get used to it.

wolflegal

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 08:05:48 PM »
Yah, I had a similar experience. I was just starting to get used to 8.0, and then 8.1 messed it up. I tried what you suggested, on one of the Start page apps, the chess program. I uninstalled and reinstalled it, but it is still experiencing the same problem(s). I can't imagine that uninstalling all of the apps and reinstalling them would correct it. When I speak with the Microsoft Level 2 tech tonight, I will try to get that and my antivirus issue(s) resolved, and then I will let this thread/forum know how it went.