Author Topic: Avast Mobile Security on Android: Virus definitions not updating  (Read 8980 times)

rhtsg

Avast Mobile Security on Android: Virus definitions not updating
« on: November 02, 2013, 07:03:16 AM »
Hello,
I have been using Avast Mobile Security on my HTC Desire S for quite some time, but for the past few days, the definitions are not updating.
On the upper right hand corner it shows Outdated, and the last virus definition in the Updates section shows 10-10-2013 version.
Nothing happens on manually pressing "Check for Updates Now"
I use Wifi and the connection is working for other stuff.
Any suggestions ?
Previously it happened a few times and then I tried force stopping the app, then restarting it and then it did update.
But this time even that does not work.
I have even reinstalled the app, but that also has not changed anything.
Thanks

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Avast Mobile Security on Android: Virus definitions not updating
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 01:43:56 PM »
Hi,

if you completely reinstalled all avast! products and it still didn't help then I don't really know what else to suggest :( Even if you reinstall, the definitions version is still 131010-X?

Filip

rhtsg

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 04:35:48 AM »
Yes, I reinstalled Avast Mobile Security, and that is the only product that I have from Avast currently.
I do not use a data plan, so I cannot use 3G to check if the updates work with that.
I have not even installed any other app recently which might block this function.
maybe I will try to install a previous version of the app, because I think this app updated recently.
There should be an option in Android to go back to the last working app version.

rhtsg

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 07:02:15 AM »
I installed a previous version - 3.0.6351 and now the updates are working.
I hope it stays so.

When pressing the Update now button to manually update the definitions, it would be nice to have some indication that the app is doing something.
Previously I think there used to be a circular moving icon which was useful.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 11:54:37 AM »
Hi,

I think there still should be (the icon).

I don't think anything regarding updates changed in the 3.0.6426 that might cause this. Anyway, can you try once the new version I just released becomes available for you?

Filip

rhtsg

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 05:51:53 AM »
Ok, I will try the next update when it comes.
See the attached image below - if there was some rotating animation where i have circled in red, after someone presses the "Check now for Updates" button, it would give an indication that the app is doing something on that command.
Any message like "searching for update..", "update found.." , "downloading definitions..", "completed", etc would be even more informative.
thanks for your help !

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 08:15:52 AM »
There actually should be a circle at the top, check this out.

Filip

rhtsg

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 04:05:30 AM »
Hmm, I do not see that circular icon where you indicated !!
Thankfully my updates are still working with the previous version, so I am happy  :P
One thing I notice is that now in the notification panel / pull down menu on home page, it shows "Privacy Advisor", instead of showing "Avast is protecting you" which used to show before.
And so on clicking that, I am taken to the Privacy advisor part, instead of the app main page.
That is a minor nuisance however.