Author Topic: I'm being Hijacked by Avast!  (Read 9771 times)

jude101

I'm being Hijacked by Avast!
« on: November 02, 2013, 01:56:52 PM »
Hi all,
I have a BIG issue! Avast tells me I'm, not protected, so I buy a new license, when I want to insert the license file it gives me an error (The AAVM Subsystem detected a RPC error) what the hell that means BEATS ME! The thing is I submitted a ticket to tackle the error with technical support (because I'm in the UK I can't get telephone support >:(  )
Anyhow, I also went into my subscription and noticed that avast says my current license is still active...(Now I'm really confused) It will expire on 04-06-2014 at 10:40:20 but the remaining days is written 0 days(Now I’m losing it!)
So I decided to just uninstall the whole d... thing and reinstall a free version and insert my newly bought license.
NO this is the part where I've lost it TOTALLY... My current avast DOESN'T want to uninstall...
I'm trying to stay cool and hope someone here will be able to help me out and solve this, but I'm starting to break out in a sweat, cause I use this laptop for the business accounts banking you name it so it is very important to know the avast I paid for is protecting my machine rather than harming it or me!
I can't even install another antivirus because it  tells me Avast is on my system and I should uninstall that first, BUT I CAN'T uninstall avast it doesn't want to!  ??? :o
So any help is highly appreciated!
Jude

« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 02:16:57 PM by jude101 »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: My avast tells me I'm not protected
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 02:07:31 PM »
Hi we will in this instance go for a full clean install

Download Rejzor's Uninstall Utility to your Desktop.
Download the correct version of Avast 
Avast Free
Avast Pro
Avast Internet Security
Avast Premier
Disconnect from the net
Uninstall Avast via control panel

• Unzip Rejzor's tool to the desktop
  • Run the tool and accept the usage
  • Once complete reboot your system
  • Reinstall Avast
----------

jude101

Re: I'm being Hijacked by Avast!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 02:26:36 PM »
Thank you for your reply, I did all the downloading and went on with the steps as you sugested.
NOTHING!
as i mentioned earlier, avast just refuses to uninstal I've never seen anything like that! It doesn't want to ninstall!

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 02:59:30 PM »
You have to use removal tool in safe mode for best results. It is also recommended to first use official avast! uninstaller and then my tool to remove possible leftovers and not as a primary removal tool...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 04:09:50 PM »
Thank you for your reply, I did all the downloading and went on with the steps as you sugested.
NOTHING!
as i mentioned earlier, avast just refuses to uninstal I've never seen anything like that! It doesn't want to ninstall!

When you say NOTHING, can you be more specific as that helps us to help you.
What happened during the steps, e.g. were there any errors and if so what were they ?

EDIT: note this error that you mentioned earlier (The AAVM Subsystem detected a RPC error), is generally associated with another AV or remnants of one are still installed/remain.

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 04:12:44 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jude101

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 06:11:22 AM »
Sorry for my late reply, I had my pc on NO Internet, because I don't have a virus protector. Still don't, but I had to check if you had a sollution for me.
My laptop is a Latitudde E5420, windows 7, Professional, service pack 1 and I did not have any other avast version on it accept the one I bought. I've checked the other pc's their avast status, and all is as it should be it has end date 2014 and the remaining days. Except my laptop.

When I say NOTHING that is what I mean, on my machine when I go CP and I click uninstal/change always something pops up to ask me if I want to uninstal or if I'm sure,right... Well with Avast it doesn't do none of that, it just shows it's busy with my request, the only thing is it just stays there as if I never requested it to be installed.
Another thing I went into msconfig and wanted to take it of my start up programs, when I untick it and click apply, the tick just goes back. so I can't even take it off my start up list...
Now I have The advanced System Care6 on my machine(forgot all about that) and realised it comes with a (force) uninstaller, so I used that to get rid of avast and any attachement it has on my machine, and it finally uninstalled, I can't find it in my list of programmes...
The only thing is it somehow is STILL on my start up list, So I'll take your advice an run this Avast cleanup tool I got from you in safemode and be back hopefully with good news and a protected machine.

For all the tickets I've submitted to avast,you are the only ones that try to  come up with some kind of sollution for me, for that I'm grateful.

I'll try it out now!
Cheers
J

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 06:23:32 AM »
AS asked above.... was Your Dell delivered With a preinstalled AV from factory?
Dell machines often come with McAfee preinstalled
if so, This must be uninstalled before installing avast

kevbeck

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 06:46:03 AM »
@ jude. I had this exact problem. If uninstalling or repairing doesnt work via control panel, try using the uninstall utility in safezone. If that doesnt work, what i did was restore my computer to an earlier time when avast was working properly. Then i used the uninstall utility then i deleted every avast folder file i could find left over. Then i checked device manager and deleted any left over firewall miniport drivers. Then again made sure all services are stopped and no longer present. Then restarted the computer several times. Then i re-installed and that worked for me. Also, once you install avast i suggest restart your computer several times before even clicking on the UI. I literally had to do this WHOLE routine 25 times to finally get it to work. It only took me a week do get avast working :/  . Win 7 64-bit . AIS 2014 .. Hope this somehow helps.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 06:48:40 AM by kevbeck »

jude101

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 07:23:33 AM »
*Pondus, Not that I recall, but you must also hear me when I say that I've been havng avast for as long as I have this machine and this is the second if not third year I bought the antivirus and the only thing I had to do is insert the file when they sent it after my payments. It was always a cut clear procedure. Only NOW this suddenly happens, so my logical thinking(what is left of it after this nightmare) says that if there was Mcafee it would have given trouble all the way down till today, so I don't think it has to do with another virus protector, rather with Avast for some reason.

**Kevbeck, that sounds frustrating, I know I am with my problem, I started the machine arlier in safemode and was able to uncheck avast on my start up programme , it hasn't popped up yet.(I'm still unprotected)... Now to try the rst of your restart advice :)

***Rejzor, The strange thing when I run your Avast Cleanup tool in safemode it gives me an error, I've made a screenshot for you to see. and when I started my system nomally it said you have successfully installed avast on your system ( you probably can imagine I'm a little  :o  :o  :o right...)
For wanting to get rid of it it tells me I have successfully installed it...

Although it's not even on my list of programmes in my CP.
What would you suggest to do next?
Cheers
Jude

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 07:38:57 AM »
attach (not copy and paste) OTL diagnostic log.    http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

then a log expert will have a look when they are online later....

jude101

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 07:46:04 AM »
Hi again,
I realised I never attached the photo, sorry, try to do it now!

I've also tried to install the version I got earlier from essexboy, it asks me if I want th trial or if I have a license or activation code...
Now I did have a license it was still valid for at least 200 days as the other computers (who also have the same license) show. Will I be able to use that same file again for my laptop? Mind you I have used it already three times this laptop and two other pc about 100 something days ago.
I did buy another one, but am waiting for avast to give me my money back, because I don't need it, seeing all my computers are protected except somehow my laptop that is...
So please advice how to get my current license back on track!
Cheers
J

jude101

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 07:47:00 AM »
Pondus, will do!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 07:51:38 AM »
Now I have The advanced System Care6 on my machine(forgot all about that) and realised it comes with a (force) uninstaller,
i guess this is IObit advanced system care ?

some info you may want to read
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=29681
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=30989
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=33217

jude101

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 08:00:10 AM »
Would you suggest to go for the OTL or Install of the Avast(Which one and will I be able to still use my current license?)

I was thinking of restoring my laptop to an earlier date. The earliest it has is 20-10-2013, I just don't know what the roblem is and if I will just make it worse by doing that...
Please advice!

I've decided to go ahead with the OTL, cause it's already Monday and this laptop is important for my daily income. The only thing is in the screenshot  on the Log to assist page I see an include 64bit scans, and that I have to put a tick, but I cant seem to locate it on the OTL I just downloaded...
Do I have the right download?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 08:15:07 AM by jude101 »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 08:23:22 AM »
I see an include 64bit scans, and that I have to put a tick, but I cant seem to locate it on the OTL I just downloaded...
do you have a 64bit OS.... maybe it is only visible if you have a 64bit OS.....

Do I have the right download?
if you downloaded it from Essexboys link you should have latest as he uses this program every day...

if not correct he will give new instructions when he arrive here later today....usually after work hours european time   ;)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 08:25:31 AM by Pondus »