Author Topic: What to do with all the files 'moved to chest'?  (Read 13024 times)

Mizare31

What to do with all the files 'moved to chest'?
« on: November 02, 2013, 08:58:52 PM »
Hello,
I am discovering several infected files during a 'scan of all local drives' as I am restarting my computer. I am afraid that I have allowed my boys a bit too much latitude in downloading some game stuff lately. Although I am typically involved, I am sensing they may be doing a bit more freelancing than I thought. Yep, my responsibility. Anywho, I am moving each flagged file to the chest as the scan is rolling and have several files so far (still scanning). I am asking what action I should take if/when the system finally loads? I am reading the general posts regarding running cleaning malware programs so I hope to better equipped to catch up, but am wondering who might help me try to resolve these issues. Thanks in advance.
- old dog trying to keep up...

Offline Secondmineboy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: What to do with all the files 'moved to chest'?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 09:01:01 PM »
Under Scan and quarantine at the bottom you can delete them. Select all, right click and delete.

Otherwise they could restore them.
Windows 10 1909, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD, 1366 by 768 LCD Screen, Intel Core i3 5010U Dual Core, Intel HD Graphics 5500
HUAWEI P30 Pro. Android 10

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 10:01:55 PM »
There is no rush to delete anything from the chest, a protected area where it can do no harm. Anything that you send to the chest you should leave there for a few weeks. If after that time you have suffered no adverse effects from moving these to the chest, scan them again (inside the chest) and if they are still detected as viruses, delete them.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Secondmineboy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 11:39:56 PM »
But if Avast is not password protected his boys can restore the malware.
Windows 10 1909, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD, 1366 by 768 LCD Screen, Intel Core i3 5010U Dual Core, Intel HD Graphics 5500
HUAWEI P30 Pro. Android 10

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 12:18:47 AM »
Then that is something for the user to correct and add password protection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Mizare31

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 04:11:13 AM »
unfortunately, I only saw the first couple responses and have already deleted the files from teh chest and then attempted to restart my computer. Once again a serious hang during start up requiring hard close and restart.... further advice please. Thanks

Mizare31

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 04:21:22 AM »
# AdwCleaner v3.010 - Report created 02/11/2013 at 23:13:52
# Updated 20/10/2013 by Xplode
# Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 (64 bits)

See attached report...

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 05:57:21 AM »
Hello,
I am discovering several infected files during a 'scan of all local drives' as I am restarting my computer. I am afraid that I have allowed my boys a bit too much latitude in downloading some game stuff lately. Although I am typically involved, I am sensing they may be doing a bit more freelancing than I thought. Yep, my responsibility. Anywho, I am moving each flagged file to the chest as the scan is rolling and have several files so far (still scanning). I am asking what action I should take if/when the system finally loads? I am reading the general posts regarding running cleaning malware programs so I hope to better equipped to catch up, but am wondering who might help me try to resolve these issues. Thanks in advance.
- old dog trying to keep up...
Hi Mizare31,

Seems it is time to move other users than yourself off any administrative account you may use.  Change your admin password (write it down!) and then allocate one account to each of the other users but only as limited standard accounts.  Why limited?  Well, one cannot install a game or such unless they have the admin password, and you've changed it, so no new games can be installed without you knowing about it.  Think of it as a way of protecting yourself from harm.  (This should be done after cleansing your system.)

Don't give users full system-wide rights to modify the entire system when they don't know yet what they are doing.   ;)

Can you get into Safe Mode?

To cleanse your system:  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

Run these four programs:
  • AdwCleaner
  • Malwarebytes
  • OTL
  • aswMBR.exe
Attach all four logs in your next reply.  Logs are for diagnostic purposes only.  Quarantine and remove, and attach resulting logs, only, with AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes.  Attach logs only, for OTL and aswMBR.exe.

If not able to boot into normal or Safe Mode, let us know.  If unable, a malware expert will be contacted.  Otherwise, a certified malware expert removal expert will be contacted after you attach your logs and then he will come in to help you.  He needs your logs to begin this process.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Mizare31

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 08:36:08 PM »
Hello??

Sorry for the delay, but my work/kid schedule has made getting all this together a challenge. I am so very grateful for your help and have noted the chastisement regarding allowing my 7 and 11 year old, who have always asked and had me help download (as I thought) any programs. I will certainly upgrade and limit access. here are the logs to date. Thanks again for all you do for older-half-time-juggling-single-parents-nearing-fifty :-). I do appreciate it more than I can say...

Regards, Michael   

Offline TwinHeadedEagle

• Malware Removal Expert
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Zemana
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 08:56:50 PM »
Monitoring...
My help is free, however if you'd like to show your appreciation by leaving a donation, it will be much appreciated ------> DONATE

Offline TwinHeadedEagle

• Malware Removal Expert
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Zemana
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 08:59:54 PM »
Hi,

Re-run Adwcleaner, but now make sure to hit Clean button, after the scanning is complete.
Attach me that report.

Download and Install Combofix

Download ComboFix from one of the following locations:
Link 1
Link 2

VERY IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop

* IMPORTANT - Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. If you have difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, refer to this link here
  • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • Accept the disclaimer and allow to update if it asks

• When finished, it shall produce a log for you.
  • Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.[/b]
Notes:
1. Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
2. Do not "re-run" Combofix. If you have a problem, reply back for further instructions.

3.  If after the reboot you get errors about programmes being marked for deletion then reboot, that will cure it.

Please make sure you include the combo fix log in your next reply as well as describe how your computer is running now

My help is free, however if you'd like to show your appreciation by leaving a donation, it will be much appreciated ------> DONATE

Mizare31

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 09:00:07 PM »
Hello again,

I realized I should add that after using the first couple cleaners I attempted, as directed a re-start of my system only to have it 'hang' with a blinking cursor line (? an underscore?) staring at me. If I do a hard stop (holding for approx. 30 seconds and even unplugging once) and then start it loads OK, but a restart driven by any program, or me, results in this annoying black screen with upper left blinking cursor/line. - I also saw, at one point the other day, a windows alert that said there was no virus protection detected, but after one of 'my restarts (hard close)' it hasn't appeared again. - also wondering what one of the scans meant by not recognizing a hard drive (so sorry I didn't write the exact phrase)... after about five clicks on 'retry' it moved along... thanks again for all you do and your help...

- michael 

Offline TwinHeadedEagle

• Malware Removal Expert
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • Zemana
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 09:12:30 PM »
Ok, please procede with my instructions, when we remove malware, then we can talk about other issues...

Mizare31

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 09:34:17 PM »
OK... thanks...