Author Topic: Alternate DNS Servers  (Read 4434 times)

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
Alternate DNS Servers
« on: October 30, 2013, 10:39:10 PM »
Hello!

I used Google's Namebench program to determine which DNS servers would work best (fastest) for me (I'm in Europe). For the primary one it suggested to use a DNS server of an alternate local ISP prodvider here and for the second one it's the number 192.168.1.1 - isn't that number a bit odd? Isn't that the Router access address? Is that in reality my original ISP's DNS but hidden behind that number?

If someone could answer those questions for me I'd really appreciate it!

Also, is it safe using different DNS servers to my ISP's default ones (that being the alterantive local ISP + the 192.168.1.1 as second)? I have to say that internet browsing is much faster now!

Thank you! :)
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Alternate DNS Servers
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 12:13:30 AM »
192.168.1.1  do you have a Linksys router

Also, is it safe using different DNS servers to my ISP's default ones
i use OpenDNS   http://www.opendns.com/

router settings  https://store.opendns.com/setup/router/

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 04:16:21 AM »
No, I have a TP-Link router. Namebench results showed that OpenDSN would work slower than the alternate ISP's DNS I use now (alternate to my own ISP).

So I'm trying to understand what exactly those numbers mean - the first DNS is the alternate local ISP and the second (TP-Link), is it my original ISP's DNS?

The browsing speed is significantly faster now. So, is it safe to use the DNS server of another ISP from my country if that's the faster way? And, is the 192.168.1.1 just a "code number" for my ISP's DNS server?

If anyone knows, please do tell. Thank you! :)
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 01:05:15 PM »
192.168.1.1 is the address of your router. If you set that IP under alternate DNS in your network adapter it means your router will supply the DNS server, it will use your ISP's DNS server unless you have something else set in your router. I suggest you set your DNS servers in your router, that way all your devices will use those DNS servers by default and you won't have to set them up separately on each device you have connected to that router.

Katerega ponudnika imaš ?

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 01:52:05 PM »
Sem ti poslal ZS. :) Thank you!

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 10:59:07 PM »
Just one more thing? What's the difference between DHCP and DNS servers?

I have DNS servers set to ISPs numbers but DHCP to 192.168.1.1, is that normal/right?

Thank you!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 11:30:43 PM »
What's the difference between DHCP and DNS servers?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What%27s+the+difference+between+DHCP+and+DNS+servers    ;)