Author Topic: Stop Avast from blocking a custom application  (Read 2396 times)

clizlee

Stop Avast from blocking a custom application
« on: November 06, 2013, 07:46:56 PM »
I guess Avast must have updated on my computer. But I have several .exe programs that I run to convert files that a friend of mine wrote for me. Before Avast updated I was able to run them just fine but now for some reason Avast keeps blocking it and putting the file into the virus chest. I keep going to the program in the chest and selecting "Restore and add to exclusions", so it restores the file to it's location on my comptuer but then when I go to open it again it blocks it again and moves it right back to the chest. How do I get Avast to ignore these programs that I need to use and stop blocking them? I'm currently running Windows XP sp3. I'm running Avast 2014.9.0.2006.

jpChris

Re: Stop Avast from blocking a custom application
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 08:43:02 PM »
I was having the same problem and I have absolutely no idea if this will work for you: but it did for me. What I did was clean out the Prefetch folder, then reboot.

clizlee

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 12:49:06 AM »
@jpChris...what is the Prefetch folder and where do I find it. I will definitely try it.

jpChris

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 04:47:56 AM »
Hi clizlee,

C:\Windows\Prefetch. Clear the contents of the folder (including the layout.ini file).

Reboot the 'puter. You may have to press the "reset" button on the front before it reboots. And, Startup will take a minute or so longer because the Prefetch file has to repopulate itself.

jpChris

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 04:50:22 AM »
Hi clizlee,

I forgot to add: Please post back and let me know if it worked.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 04:52:32 AM by jpChris »