Author Topic: Fix Issues with Avast 2014 Update on Windows XP Pro  (Read 28900 times)

FinAnalyst

Re: Fix Issues with Avast 2014 Update on Windows XP Pro
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 03:46:55 PM »
I work as an IT Technician and today we have had two Computers Come in after updating to Avast 2014, They get to the Welcome Screen in Windows XP them Restart in a continuous loop I have found two files that have been causing an issue aswrvrt.sys stopping me booting into Safe Mode as it hangs on this, & fssfltr_tdi.sys which is displayed in BSOD straight after the welcome screen I found removing these files (C:\Windows\System32\Drivers) allows me to boot back into Windows and Finish the Update. To remove them I used Kaspersky Boot Disk to browse the Drive.

How can I find out which Windows files Avast is conflicting with, upon OS boot-up?  Is there a particular program I can use?

Offline Cebuman

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 06:55:37 AM »
Hi Glad :o to know that I am not the only one! NOT GLADE and very disappoint of that issue! I use License Avast for many years, without problem.  From last Sunday all my computer using Windows XP Professional SP3 become crash with that blue screen error after update to version 2014! I took out avast reinstall it but after that was the firewall or the anti-virus himself who doesn't work anymore!  All my computer was working perfectly before.  I have 1 computer running windows Vista Home Premium, 1 computer running windows Vista Ultimate, 1 Window 7 Professional they all running ok after the upgrade of Vista Internet security 2014 but the 4 computer running Window XP Professional SP3 all crashes!! I will need to waist a day ( take a 3 hours ride ferry to go to fix one of my computer that I cannot connect with my staff anymore via computer on another island and again the ferry to come back)  Very hope Avast will release a Patch ASAP!!! I will try to delete the two files that you report to see if it's working!  I recommended Avast to many of my customers for many years and was thinking to upgrade to Avast Premier but now I doubt about it!  you should leave the previous version available in case the version 2014 doesn't work! now i need to use other company anti-virus company to try to fix the problem cause by this update! >:( my subscription for all my computer will end beginning of 2014 not sure if I will renew it if they don't fix fast the bug or at least send a message to their license user with a link to reinstall the previous version until the bug is fix!) >:(

Cebuman
CNA, A+, MCP, MCSE
Philippines

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 12:11:52 PM »
Hello,

First just a word here from an avast guy to tell us if they still work on the issue or have permanently banned xp users they support.
I know it's only been ten days since I sent the log to the support and return back to version 8 works well, but I will not even try to install again and again version 9 without fix or    
elucidation....

contrary2popular

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 01:28:28 PM »
Yeah, I had a paid version of Avast too, it also said My subs had run out. and it wasn't even time up. anyway I deleted avast and got a year free Kaspersky  internet security from Barclays bank. It run a full scan before start up. A bit of a learning curve, but looks OK. things are still a bit twitchy. like "spaywareblaster" it keeps turning blocked sites off ?? any ideas. It might be kaspaskey, i'll look on some posts and see what I can pick up.. I also removed malwarebytes while I loaded kaspasky, You know how finicky anti-virus programmes are over other prog :-(   So I'll reload that now. Keep up the Great work posters.......I think this has left a lot of People without a PC...........not good at all.

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, 08:03:18 PM »
Really sorry for the troubles. We are just investigating the causes. Please if you still experience issues on WinXP, please would you be able to zip folder - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Persistent Data\Avast\Logs and send it to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming/

Hello,

What about fssfltr_tdi.sys and WL safety parental issue with 9.0.2007 ?
Is there xp users already unheeded?

fssbillk

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2013, 06:47:15 AM »
Batzilla - after you removed the two files and was able to finish the update, did you put the files back to \system32?  Also, by saying "finishing the update", do you mean the final avast screen that asks if you want google toolbars/chrome?

I have three WinXP Pro machines.  Avast2014 install, reboot, final toolbar screen went fine on two of them.  One looped at the reboot (never showing final toolbar selection screen - nor loading all the bottom-right icon programs, either).  Uninstalled and reinstalled old ver of avast just fine.  Once the 2014 version was successful on two other machines, I attempted to reinstall on the problem machine, this time with complete success.

Until today, late Nov 1, 2013.  avast had the first program update to 2014 ver 9 (build 2007).  Guess what, it hangs on the reboot after the install!  Trying to Uninstall from Control Panel, but it won't go away.  Deleted everything out of the Program File\Avast Software/Avast folder and installed the pre-2014 version.  It hangs, too.

Crazy, sometimes it works and other times it doesn't - even on the same machine.  I've grown dependent on this great avast free product over the years and don't want any of my machines compromised.  I need the protection.  Help! avast!

There are people reporting similar problems with other Win vers (like Win8), too.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 06:59:45 AM by fssbillk »

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 09:05:05 PM »
I just got a response from hectic-mmv (thanks to him for support) about the problem with BSOD and fssfltr_tdi.
They seem to have found the cause ... it should be fixed in a few weeks with the next version...