Author Topic: Firewall question  (Read 6371 times)

Firewall question
« on: November 07, 2013, 02:05:11 AM »
Is the NEW version of avast premier suppose to automatically turn off my win 7 firewall during installation and replace it OR is it suppose to leave it on and work TOGETHER?

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Firewall question
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 02:18:32 AM »
In previous versions, both WF and Avast Firewall worked together... However, in v9, Tech said it has changed. Therefore, you should disable Windows Firewall.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 02:19:46 AM »
Earlier versions of the avast firewall were designed to work with the windows firewall. This doesn't appear to be the case with the avast 2014 version of the avast firewall.

So yes it appears to disable the windows firewall, though some have reported the windows firewall being re-enabled for no apparent reason.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 02:30:01 AM »
I just purchased and installed avast premier and all is going just fine BUT windows firewall was never automatically turned off during the installation and after a reboot just to make sure everything is good after install win 7 firewall is still ON!!

What should I do?

Also if avast premier is suppose to turn of the windows based firewall but does not, is this not a concern or some sort of bug??

Offline Gandalf1369

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 02:46:12 AM »
I just purchased and installed avast premier and all is going just fine BUT windows firewall was never automatically turned off during the installation and after a reboot just to make sure everything is good after install win 7 firewall is still ON!!

What should I do?

Also if avast premier is suppose to turn of the windows based firewall but does not, is this not a concern or some sort of bug??

I've been using avast! Internet Security for the past year.  Avast IS 8 NEVER turned off the Windows firewall.  Avast IS 2014 (2006) turned off the Windows firewall SOMETIMES (probably more accurate to say that it took control of the Windows firewall).  Avast IS 2014 (2007) NEVER turns off the Windows firewall. 

The interesting thing, at least for me, was that version 2006 prevented a program I use daily from working.  This only happened when avast IS took control of the Windows firewall.  Since installing avast version 2007 the problem I had has been fixed.

Based on the above, although I am not an expert by any means, I would think that the avast firewall is back to what is used to be in version 8.
Windows 10 (64bit); 8GB RAM; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro; avast Free (latest version)

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 04:01:17 AM »
Check the firewall status in the Action Center (or Security Center) if report two firewalls then disable windows firewall
Asus Intel i7 8GB RAM , Win 8.1 64 bit, Avast IS

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 04:24:39 AM »
there seems to be several opinions on what to do or what is taking place, I would like to get the correct answer according to avast on what to do!!

Offline Jon Doe

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 11:03:41 AM »
I Asked the very same question. After installing Avast Premier, I noticed that the Windows firewall was still active. However, as the Avast firewall was causing me issues, I disabled that and left Windows firewall enabled!

Until I can figure out the issues, I will leave Avast firewall disabled.

DBenjamin85

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 11:36:51 AM »
It would be good to have some sort of official confirmation, since getting 9 my firewall settings have remained the same with both firewalls remaining on, every time I check it's the same as it was with 8 how both firewalls are active and neither turn off and I've not noticed any issues personally.  I've asked questions about the firewall in avast before because when I have the FW set to private there doesn't seem to be any firewall log entries appearing (which made me worry that the firewall in IS isn't too hot) I only ever seem to get log entries with it set to the public setting, if that sounds normal to anyone, it was exactly the same when I had 8 as well.

One of the things I liked about avast was the fact the two firewalls worked together, I imagine I'm not the only one who's not seen any changes to settings whilst others are clearly seeing windows firewall turn on and off, should windows firewall be off? 

I've noticed that avast has control of the firewall setting yet it has not seen fit to switch the firewall off.

SlyFox

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 03:58:11 PM »

What should I do?

No, I am not connected to Avast, just another person who has their Internet Security installed on both of my computers.  Perhaps I can help you with your questions, if not then Please contact their Support.

Just go into Administrative Tools, click on Administrative Tools, another panel will open up, scroll down to Services, click on that another panel will open up with all of your Services listed, scroll down until you see Windows Firewall, click on that and DISABLE it.  Also make sure it says STOPPED.  If not pull down the panel that should give the option to STOP it.  Then click on apply and ok on the bottom.  Your Windows Firewall is DISABLED from Starting.

Some people can run two firewalls, but most can not.   With two Firewalls and two Anti-Virus both will conflict with each other.  NOT good.  Always use One Firewall and One Anti-Virus.  Avast is a an Excellent product.   I've had the Free Avast A/V for years, since dumping Norton's JUNK.  I decided to use Avast Internet Security once again.

Have any questions, please post back and I will try to answer any questions regarding what I had mentioned above.

stukindaguy

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 08:36:57 PM »
I had issues with avast and windows firewall in version 9.0.2006. As of 9.0.2007 though, Windows firewall remains ON and the two work together.

DBenjamin85

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 09:42:39 PM »
I had issues with avast and windows firewall in version 9.0.2006. As of 9.0.2007 though, Windows firewall remains ON and the two work together.

I am much the same, the only time I had issues with the firewall was when I first updated and the control centre was telling me that it and the av were switched off (which was fixed by using the multiple reboots, the whole time the services and avast itself said they were switched on).  But I'm running the same settings as I did with 8 and both firewalls are working side by side as before, even though it says avast is in control of the firewall it's not felt the need to switch it off.